Notices

Someone Died From Drinking Today

Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone Died From Drinking Today

Today was my 4 month anniversary of abstinence -- 120 days.

This afternoon the person who sits in front of me burst into tears. That's how I knew her ex had finally passed away after spending his life swimming in the bottom of a liquor bottle.

I didn't know him at all, but I know her. She is a kind, compassionate, patient person who loves to help those who need it the most. Time and again I have heard her connect with callers and carefully walk them through the steps they need to get some assistance. She and her kids did not deserve to go through this trauma. And from what she told me, if he had not been an alcoholic, they might still be together. That would have been a better life for him, certainly.

I guess a lot of people who are dependent on alcohol think it's never going to catch up to them but it almost always does. He died of liver cirrhosis and alcoholic psychosis -- not the way I would want anyone to remember me.

There are far too many people who die of this dependency, and far too many more who suffer day after day from the physical damage it causes. Keep drinking and inevitably it will get you. If you want to avoid the pain, it's easy.

Just Stop Drinking.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that miyako. You're right though, we all think it won't happen to us, until it does. Well done on your 4 months x