Wife in treament

Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wife in treament

My AW went into treatment yesterday morning; with eleven days clean. We were told that after a five day blackout, she is allowed visitors on Sundays between 1p-4p. I immediately got busy trying to get Sunday off from work and six hours after she left I got a call saying, “Oops, sorry as she is on post-prison supervision no visits will be allowed.”

I’m missing her quite a bit right now and feeling sad that I won’t be able to see her till she returns home from treatment. Sunday is our wedding anniversary…Anywho – lots to be happy for too but just acknowledging the sadness out loud because I have a tendency to keep that to myself and I would like to change that about myself.

I had a bright spot in my actions this week that I want to share as well: My wife gave up her job shortly after she relapsed because she knew that eventually she would take money from the till (she was a cashier). There was a final check to be picked up from work and she finally got permission from her parole officer to go out of the county to get it. She called her sponsor to see if she would accompany her but her sponsor said she wasn’t able to – but to take someone else. My wife responded that she felt strong and not at risk but her sponsor wouldn’t bend. My wife then asked me what I thought.

“I think you are the smartest woman I know and you picked her to be your sponsor. She must have impressed you somehow.” She took someone with her to pick up the check.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember how hard it was when my husband went into rehab. Do you know how long she will be in treatment? I hope you get to see her soon. My husbands rehab was out of state, and I made a lot of trips & finally relocated for about six weeks! so that we could do marriage counseling through the rehab as part of the recovery process. I recall some of your story, and the two of you have been seperated for far too long already, but it is wonderful she has this opportunity. My prayers go out to both of you.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your strength and acceptance shines through your post with your ability to take something that disappointed you (not being able to visit her) and appreciate the things that are going right. It takes a great deal of strength to look past a disappointment.

You're post also shows your unconditional love for your wife. It is so wonderful to read a post where a loved one understands the hardships of addiction and acknowledges that she did the right thing quitting her job and then listening to her sponsor and taking someone with her to pick up her check.

I hope things go smoothly in the future and that you get to see her soon. Keep up your positive outlook on live and living life on life's terms.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response. *s* Yeah, she'll be gone for 30 days. With all the time we've done already you'd think that I could do thirty days standing on my head but I nurtured and reveled in the idea that such separations were over, you know?

She's not out of state but it's almost worse as it stands. I can see the treatment center from my work and she can see my work out her window. Ah well, back to letters for now.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok. As you said, you've been through longer separations and this is a very hopeful one. If she were a soldier, she'd be going overseas for a very long time. Well.....she is a soldier in a way.....she's fighting for her life. Just like the spouse of a soldier, your job right now is to hold down the home front so that it's there when she returns.

You are strong. And she's lucky to have such a loving husband to come home to....and because of your own situation and background, you have insights that most don't have. Feel your feelings but allow them to pass through you. Ride the wave.

You and your dear wife will be in my prayers.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Thank you for your response. *s* Yeah, she'll be gone for 30 days. With all the time we've done already you'd think that I could do thirty days standing on my head but I nurtured and reveled in the idea that such separations were over, you know?

She's not out of state but it's almost worse as it stands. I can see the treatment center from my work and she can see my work out her window. Ah well, back to letters for now.
Now you are breaking my heart. Your situation reminds me of the movie Sleepless in Seattle, or further back An Affair to Remember where the couple plans to unite atop the Empire State Building on a given date. And things of course keep them apart, at one point she is looking out the window at the building across the way, on Valentines Day no less, and the building is aglow in lights and a heart. "A sign" she says... Sorry, chick flicks...

Hang in there. Just try to take comfort knowing she is in the best possible place getting the treatment she needs. It can only benefit you both in the long run. And when she gets home, you can watch one of those movies together !