Notices

Fruits and Veggies

Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fruits and Veggies

I haven't been healthy in years but I am only 30 so I hope to turn everything around. Since my last relapse 9 days ago I have been slowly feeling better but my head/brain still feels a little fuzzy. Not as though I'm in a cloud like it was the first few days but I am forgetful and mixing up things a lot lately. I started drinking pom/blueberry juice to help my brain. What other all natural things, foods or vitamins, help with becoming sober again? And what do they help with?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find that healthy eating in general strengthens my resolve and makes me feel better about myself. If I am near the end of a healthy day, I don't want to waste it with empty alcohol calories.

I'm trying to eat as much plant based food as possible and am trying to avoid red meat, dairy, and sugar
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I'm a big believer in Omega 3 for your brain. I also make a fruit/vegetable shake every other day. I find that it helps me to gets some of those vegetable servings in.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

At times the digestive system needs help. Prune juice, eating lightly before bed, yoghurts, pumpkin seeds, papaya, . . . I've heard of people using aloe vera too. There's a lot to get right again. A good digestive system, waste elimination is good. It promotes better sleep and nutrient absorption all helping to calm the body and mind and recovery easier.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I ate salads and fruit for weeks and found that I needed to supplement that with more protein to keep the weight on. I exercised as well and found myself losing 20 pounds in two months. Felt better and cut back on the weight loss but still trying to eat healthy.
What goes in comes out........ healthy food in, healthy feeling out!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think my GI system is still recovering from the years of beer I subjected it to ( and lack of proper nutrition ) even several months into being sober. I try to eat lots of fruit and veggies too, and stay away from greasy stuff and refined sugar.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

There is a lot of discussion about this on the Healthy Eating thread here. You might like to check that out! I gave up wheat, sugar and all processed foods a few months ago and I've never felt better!