Notices

Anxiety

Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Ok so I started a thread here a few days ago. Basically I'm a 30 year old binge drinker. In the last six months my drinking has increased the resulting guilt and depression over my drinking has also gotten worse. I won't re hash everything I've initially stated in my first thread but I'm finding the anxiety I'm experiencing at the moment very hard to deal with. I've never been this bad before. I'm getting nervous over having to interact with people, I'm feeling increasingly down and depressed when I think about my drinking. At the moment I'm due to head to a party tonight. Everyone thinks I'm going but I just can't attend. The thoughts of being surrounded by alcohol are making me sick. I'm finding it even hard to keep food down due to these feelings I'm experiencing. I've been to a GP and was not prescribed anything and I don't necessarily want to be prescribed anything. I've gone periods of seven days before without a drink but I've never felt this bad. I have avoided even talking to friends because I'm feeling completely empty. I'm finding ordinary day to day activities impossible. Has anyone experienced this before. Is it down to the fact that I've finally realised I can't drink alcohol any more. I'm completely in limbo here.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When you saw your doctor did you ask for help in getting thru alcohol withdrawal? That might be a good place to start. Get yourself detoxed first, then find a program or a plan to keep you sober.

And remember, you'll always find lots of support here.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My doctor gave me a number of options. He was great in fairness and made me feel at ease I've another appointment with him next week. Yesterday when I met him I actually didn't feel this bad. This feeling just came upon me early this morning when I woke up. I'm feeling extremely hopeless and nervous about absolutely nothing. I know this but it's not making me feel any better.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had horrendous anxiety that was caused by drinking Darkplace. I suspect that if you had been drinking more recently then that might be the cause. How long have you been sober now? I collapsed in a heap when I quit, very lethargic and little motivation. A lot of people looked at me like I was nuts, but I spoke to a really nice doctor who said he wasn't surprised at how I felt and that it was very common to feel that way when getting over such a seemingly insurmountable problem like that. So yeah, maybe the fact you have finally decided you can't drink anymore has had an impact on the way you are feeling. It is not necessarily a bad thing though. Your body and mind just want a rest so they're going into screen saver mode Don't go to the party and start working on what you need for a happy sober life. The transition can be tough but it's so worth it x
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

You numbed yourself for a long time, now it's all getting un-numb. It will feel worse before it all evens out. Give a bit more time. Things DO get better!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hypochondriac I haven't drank in five days today. I dont know should I consider it four days or five because the first day I obviously drank in the early hours of the morning.. I normally get the itch to go out and drink after this length of time. The actual thought of a drink is making me sick at the moment. I'm not eating that much of late which is unusual for me as I eat relatively well when I'm not on a binge. I won't be going to the party that's organised tonight I'm actually scared out of my wits end of having to be in a group of people. This is completely opposite to how I normally am. I feel wrecked, depressed, on an edge today. I've burst out in tears today for no reason. Today has been the hardest day for me emotions wise in so many years.

Thanks guys for the advise.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My anxiety was through the roof when I stopped drinking. It was so very hard, but I wasn't given any medication for it. Know that you can and will get through it and your anxiety will ease up. I think eating well and getting exercise were two of the most important things for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I normally do eat well during the week. When I'm not drinking I do enjoy training I particularly like going to the gym and running. I find it helps me cope with things. It's just since I've admitted I've a problem openly last week my energy levels are shot. Im really tired constantly. Since I first posted on this site I've experienced a whirlwind of emotions that I'm finding really hard to deal with. I've gone up to a week before without alcohol so why am I such an emotional wreck now. Has anyone else that was in a similar position to me experienced this??
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you heard of the kindling effect when it comes to alcohol withdrawal, that could explain some of it. Or you could just be mentally exhausted because of what it took to get to this point. Go easy on yourself and don't worry about it too much. It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor to check your vitamin levels and stuff like that x
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DP,

I am a BiNGeDrinker in remission. Been since mid February since I last had a terrible blow out. Let alone a drink at all. You can read some of my initial posts. I was on my knees at the same crossroads you find yourself at now. I crawled down the road less travelled as the current one was getting dangerously bumpy. My anxiety has diminished but took a month. If was frustrating. I am able to confidently interact with people again as normal. Binge drinking was about to destroy me.

Your body has to repair itself. It will but you have to let it.

I had some Very heavy binges in Waterford county 20 years ago... it a tough place to stay sober long. That is a fact.

I'm here for you, hang in there.