Notices

Why do I feel worse?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I feel worse?

Hey guys! Back on the wagon, feeling more determined than ever. I really want/need to do this and kick the addiction, no matter how ****** I feel. I was wondering if this is common in the early stages to actually feel WORSE having given up drinking. I'm still in my first week and, while I didn't expect to spring out of bed every morning. I actually feel more hungover than when I was drinking. Any thoughts/advice?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, just try to eat well, get some rest. If you don't feel better soon, maybe a visit to your doctor?

What's your plan for recovery? I see you came back in August.

We make these firm declarations that our life is a mess over drinking and that we are going to stop...and then we find ourselves back at the same point over and over again.

I am/was a relapser.

The AA program of recovery has helped me.

If you are open to it, have a read of the book Alcoholics Anonymous. The program is outlined in the book.

Check it out if you are open to it...

Big Book On Line

If not, there are so many members here...read what they have shared, and learn from them.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I remember being really tired, exhausted even. Eat well, exercise if you can. It will pass.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Each time I quit the first few days mess with my sleep paterns. Is that possibly causing your issue? Remember it will get better.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it's fairly common - years of abuse and your body is screaming out for more!

I remember first time I quit , on day 3 I felt terrible - was pickin up a new car and swore I would faint at any minute,the car salesman kept asking if I was ok as was slurring and a swaying!

It gets better Is the plus side!.

Keep I there,your doing superb!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Yes, that's normal. The first week was really rough for me. And really up until now (a bit past two months) there are odd things that come and go, but it really does get better over time. It takes our brains and bodies a while to recalibrate after getting used to the constant presence of alcohol. Hang in there! Soon you'll be sleeping better, feeling better, and looking better.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're recovering from an extremely serious, life threatening illness. It's early days and your body is healing. Drink plenty of water, you may be dehydrated. Lots of rest (or as much as possible), fruit, gentle exercise and a good vit supplement. It'll take a few weeks before you're springing out of bed like in a cornflakes advert. But you'll get there :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

Yes, this is common. It's also common for withdrawls to get worse with each relapse. Good news - this can be the last time that you ever have to go through this.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

I drank for years. The first six months involved all sorts of adjustments, but after the first week it got progressively easier.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome

I think it's really common to feel really ordinary for a while.
It called recovery for a reason and, while it's not as rough as drinking daily is for example, it's rough some days.

That's why a lot of people go back.

I poisoned myself for 20 years or more - it takes a while for that amount of self abuse to work itself out, but if you can hold your ground and have faith it will get better...it will get better George

D
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It was normal for me George. It took a while before I started feeling spritely but it was better than how rough I felt drinking. Don't worry about it and keep up the good work x
Old 04-23-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Ditto on all the above. Remember this period and the fact that it does not have to be repeated if that first drink is NOT picked up again. BE WELL