Notices

Filling the void left by not drinking.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Filling the void left by not drinking.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A HUGE void. Alcohol pretty much consumed my entire life, so without it, there's just emptiness.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drinking took up a lot of time. I use that time to walk, garden, read, clean house etc now.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Time to rediscover things you like!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I was drunk so much it just became such a routine. I literally forgot what I enjoyed sober, what my sober thought process was. I forgot who I was, sort of.

I used to love creative writing. I haven't finished a story, or really written a coherent paragraph in years. Since trying to clean up these last few months, I've actually got a solid 2 pages of a story going. You just have to re-discover what you enjoyed before alcohol/drugs became dominant.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I rediscovered working out and playing guitar. What interests you?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The kid and the dogs love me sober. They take the time that I waste when I'm drinking.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Listening to good music. Today I was listening to Led Zeppelin live and my dog walked up to my iPad and fell asleep. That's when I realized I need to do this more often
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I filled that void with
Lotsa meetings. 230 my first 90 days.
Got involved in service, making coffee etc.
Went back to church.
Just chillin, praying, thinking about my goals for the day.
Read as much recovery literature as I could get my hands on.
Listen to uplifting music. Not music that triggered old times.
Listen to inspiring speakers in AA/NA on you tube.
Made phone calls to other recovering addicts/alkies.

I'll help you fill that void!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be one month without a drink for me and I'm having an unforeseen hard time with the emptiness left without being at the bar and/or being home without drinking. I have been drinking for about 25 years. This is my first month as a civilian after 20 years in the military. A few years before retiring I was injured and my personnel life was left in ruins. All the things I enjoyed was now things of the past. So how did I deal with this? I climbed onto a bar stool at a dive bar just outside the base. Now my head is a little clearer I now see how stupid that was. I see now that I wasn't dealing, but hiding. I believe there's a debt I now must pay for my years and years of getting drunk and not dealing with life's little twists. I've been around the world more than a few time and had my share of challenges, but I have to say this last month has been the longest and hardest that I've had to deal with. I don't know what this new life without alcohol has in store for me I just hope it gets easier.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Keep busy with healthy things while you heal, Running Music Reading Writing Walking ....
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been trying to learn new things. Our brains might just take time to rewire themselves. I always went to a bar to socialize do being alone is hard for me. Take care.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At first I was shocked to find out how bored I was. Then it dawned on me life isn't boring, I was. Why wouldn't I be? All I did was work, drink, sleep. For me, I've got to contribute something if I expect life to give me something. I can't just sit and wait for life to show me a good time. Now, I'll try anything...hobby, activity, whatever at least once. It's fun just trying different things. Some stick some dont but at least I have something to talk about in a conversation other than my hangover or the next drunk. Talk about boring and a void...that is what my life was before. I don't know how long it's been for you but it gets better. Really it does.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Since I gave up the poison I have never been busier. I wake at 6:00 and turn off the light at 12:00. Given a bit of time you will rediscover your interests and your curiosity will re-emerge. Take it easy. It happens.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Committed View Post
Anyone else have this problem?
I need to get to know myself again (As a sober person) in order to get on with my life. I hope i can fill the void soon. You are definitely not alone.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, sorry Committed. I see you said a month. Oh yes, it will get better. I didn't mess up my life overnight so I figure I need to be patient with it coming back together. I started with just keeping it simple. I just focused on getting my body adjusted and my mind a little peace. Then after a little while I was ready to add in some fun here and there. Fun to me is a good laugh. I love my SR classmates. They crack me up. The more I take opportunities to smile and laugh the better I feel. Sounds dumb but it works for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi committed!
Welcome & thanks for your service to the country. You feel empty coz as every1 b4 me has said, alc was used to fill the God shaped hole we all have. If you don't believe in Him, just pick something that's greater than yourself for humility purposes if you want long term sobriety. I remember @ 1st it was hard finding anything else to do apart from going to meetings & reading AA literature. But once I got the hang of it, I was in love w/ the program & people whom I can honestly say are my new family now.
Sobriety is sooooo much easier & fun & rewarding that I couldn't believe I wasted bout 15yrs of my life looking for something to make me feel valuable & wanted by women @ the bottom of every whiskey bottle. Thank goodness, He took that insanity away for good when I did step 2 thoroughly.
Wish you the best & keep in mind a mth dry is a long time for most folks to get so hang on for the ride of your life
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Commited people have give you some suggestions here. The key to getting sober and getting past those feelings is taking them.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I remember in early sobriety someone asking "what do you enjoy" I was speechless. Couldn't think of a thing. I spent alot of time on SR and read alot of recovery stuff. Meetings, just anything to make it through that day without drinking. Had to stay out of my head, it was a very dangerous place.
If somebody suggested something I thought "why not, what do I have to lose?"
Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ideally I'd fill the void having torrid affairs with several supermodels. But seeing how that isn't going to happen, (but only because my wife made me fat!) I fill the void doing a lot of those things I'd dream of doing while drunk, but either be too uncooridinated or uninterested to do.

I've been doing some writing, catching up on some movies that I passed out before the ending, building things and remodelling the house (this one i have to be careful with though, as it is a bit of a trigger.)

I just occupy my time with things, its really similar to drinking, except rather than standing in the kitchen BSing about all the stuff I'm going to do some day, and taking shot after shot... I start doing things, and most of the time finish them....

its neat... life is exciting