Help

Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

How do. I tell my friend he is going to die of drugs. Who knows what he does anymore but I tried to separate myself but I can't and feel bad as I'm the lonely person he has Besides his family.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((jkd)) - I'm both a recovering addict and have loved ones who are still using.

What I needed when I began recovery was others in recovery. It's not a slight to you or any other loved one, it's just that you don't know what goes on in our minds.

You are NOT the only person there for him other than his family. If he truly wants recovery, he will find it.

FWIW, I spent over 2 decades trying to "be there" for an alcoholic bf. Not only could I not change him, I turned to drugs to deal with the pain of the relationship. Most people don't do that, but I did.

What led me to recovery was those who love me allowed me to hit bottom...dig a REALLY deep hole, start working my way out of and THEN were very supportive. There are some people who gave up on me, long ago, and I can't blame them.

I also had a bf who shared my addiction - cut him loose when I wanted recovery, he didn't. No matter what I knew of recovery, our addiction, I couldn't help him.

The best thing I can recommend is keep reading here and posting. It's thanks to the great people of SR that I'm over 6 years in recovery for both addiction and codependency.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. What I mean is he has no other friends literally bc he drove them all away and I'm the only friend who sticks by him. My dad was a recovering alcoholic relapsed and now s recovering again. So I understand the addiction part as much as I can but dont know how to say I'm done with you to my friend. When sober we have fun together and do things.