Notices

Day 1

Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HML

Day 1

Would like this to be Day 1 of a lifetime of not drinking. I'm so tired of drinking. I won't drink today; it's tomorrow I worry about.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Welcome HML!

I want that for you too! Stick around here and read and post. There are lots of good people here and there is lots of support.

If you're worried about tomorrow, maybe today is a good day to make a plan for what you will do to not drink tomorrow. Do you have anything in mind? AA meetings are good, and if that's not your cup of tea there are lots of other ways to go.

Make your plan and before you know it you'll change your name from HML to LML HA! Sappy, I know, but it's true.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR - great place this :-)

Don't drink today - tomorrow is another day , deal with it when it arrives :-)

You can do this !!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
HML

Thank you. Yes, I need a plan. Have never posted on a forum or site before. I'm terrified of AA.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

SMART and AVRT are also good programs. You can get more information on those in the Secular Connections part of this forum.

Many people also stay sober *just* by using this site. It's up to you.

I think a lot of us are apprehensive about AA meetings. If I may ask, what part of AA terrifies you?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are many different types of recovery option in addition to AA. I was terrified of AA at one point but that was because I wasn't really committed to not drinking for the long-haul....deep inside I was trying to figure out a way to control my drinking. I did a ton of field research (hahahaha!) and discovered that I am a real deal alcoholic. I cannot control my drinking. I'm glad you found this site....it has helped me on my journey to sobriety.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
HML

I live in a small town. I'm skeptical of the "anonymous" part. I'm ashamed. I'm afraid I would fail publicly. I don't want to be labeled. I hide my addiction very well.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

High five HML. Today is day 1 for me too..
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Understood. I have the same problem here. In my experience the "anonymous" part is real and the members take it seriously. A larger problem I have had with small town AA is that there aren't many meeting options. Every meeting is different and you will like some and not others.

I go a bit out of my way for AA meetings. The closest meeting I will go to is 20 miles away. It's worth the drive. You can google "<Your Location> AA meetings" and the local AA chapter will have a way to find all the meetings in a wide area.

A LOT of us hide our addiction very well. And a lot of people in that AA room will be just the same.

Please don't interpret this as me trying to push you to AA. The other options are good as well. AA is just pretty easy... you just go to a meeting and see how it is.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's great that you want to stop drinking. My life became better than ever after I quit. You don't have to go to AA to get sober. I got, and stay, sober with the help of this site and my addiction counselor. You can do this!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HML

I like wandering around this site. Comforting. Tuesdays are hard because of a weekly work meeting that completely stresses me out. Thought I would try the Tuesday night online chat to help me through day 2.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

How mnay people in town are alcoholics? If you haven't heard......no one's talking!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome HML

D