My alcoholic father was just in the hospital.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question My alcoholic father was just in the hospital.

In the past several months, he has had bouts of painful diarrhea and gas (explosive diarrhea basically) and his red blood cells were very low (bad anemia) and his white blood cell count was also very low. Because of his upset stomach and diarrhea, he lost about 35 pounds. They took a bone marrow sample for leukemia, which came back negative. So it's not that.

The second day in the hospital he complained they had him on a bland diet. "Can't even get wine with dinner!" And then he added, "not that I care." He sounded as though he was very uncomfortable.

Next day I called, he said they gave him an anti-anxiety shot that made him feel just great. Said they gave him one every 8 hours but that it was something like Antabuse where he couldn't drink or he'd get sick.

Here's the thing. He says he isn't drinking much at all anymore. When I observed him a few years ago, he seemed to be consuming on average at least 10 to 12 units of alcohol per day. It's hard for me to believe he is not drinking much, knowing he has been a heavy drinker for several decades now, and a binge weekend drinker for decades before that.

So what I'm thinking is, they were giving him shots to prevent alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

His red and white blood cells recovered nicely while he was in the hospital, and his diarrhea resolved.

I looked up symptoms of end stage alcoholism, what medical problems can happen. Alcohol can cause red blood cells and white blood cells to go down to almost nothing. And it can cause digestive problems and explosive diarrhea.

Am I crazy for thinking this is probably medical problems caused by end stage alcoholism and the shots were probably to stop withdrawal?

I'm not going to try to save him. I tried so hard in previous years to help him and I got to the point where I accepted that I was powerless over his disease.

I guess I'm just asking here because if my hunch is right, he probably doesn't have much time left anymore and I need to say goodbye to him while I can.

I think I'm also just kind of curious if you guys think I'm probably right or not.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know, for sure, but I would tend to think the way you are. Alcoholism is really hard on a body and affects many things. I've read from many people here, though, of people who almost die from alcoholism then continue to drink for years? Some do, some don't

I'm glad you're not trying to save him. As far as saying goodbye, I've not been through this but I've lost people in my life and I just try to remember that if something happens and I never see them again, the last conversation we had was nothing I would regret. Doesn't always work, but it is something I think about.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much - that is wonderful advice and I will follow it!

You know, even though I know in my mind it was never my job to save him, my heart still feels I've failed him.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PS I was recently diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis

Apparently I've had it for about 15 years the docs figure. Been having weird symptoms all this time and horrible fatigue. Had one doc say I was crazy, because my symptoms would come and go, and I kind of wondered myself if I was going crazy.

It's a relief to have a diagnosis at least. Now I don't feel so ashamed when I have to lie down in the afternoon because I am so fatigued.

Don't know why I'm posting this here. Guess I'm whining because my Dad is dying and I've got this disease. I know that I am lucky in so many ways, but you know how it is, sometimes a person has a bad day or bad week. Speaking of bad weeks, I am just about afraid to watch the news anymore, what a heartbreaking week for the US.