Notices

Can't sleep, skin bad, singeing

Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't sleep, skin bad, singeing

It's 2am I the morning here (UK) & I can't sleep. I didn't drink this evening despite arguing with myself in my head and using food/ computer/ games/ more food as coping techniques and reading lots on here.

Anyway, the craving has receded somewhat - prolly cos I don't usually start drinking at 2am - but now I'm tired but my brains still awake (it's not been sledge-hammered into submission by alcohol). But I know I'll be knackered in the morning and I have to be up at 7am. This has happened quite a few times this week and I wonder if anyone had any tips on settling/ getting off to sleep?

Additional to this my skin has become zit-city-central and I'm too old for teenage acne so I think it could be the stress of not drinking?!!! I thought most people's skin glowed with health and vitality when they quit but the last few days people have been commenting politely on my well being as they look at my chinful of red pustules and greasy forehead....Is this normal or perhaps a sign its too late for me and I should have some alcohol to dry my skin out again? Oh and another thing all this misdirection/ substitution away from alcohol has meant I'm eating way more and shovelling sweets like the stores about to close - so I'm sober but now fat and covered in zits: great.

Plus I'm knackered and can't sleep

Other than that alls good in the world of the fat, zitty, tired & cranky one.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get a delayed killer detox headache/ migraine or something to distract me from my current woes... Anyway here's to day 12: bring it and let the sobriety battle begin afresh....
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Day 12, you legend!! I think exercise is the biggest help, along with calming deep breaths and a stack of fruit and veggies to replace the junk food. And drink so much water you are on fast track to the loo.
I found the rhythm of walking very soothing.
Middle of the night, you can't sleep, get up and clean something for half an hour. You will go back to bed feeling virtuous and calmed.
Have some support in place like your doctor or help line and of course SR.
It won't be long before you start feeling the benefits if you can get through this stage.
Love your sense of humour.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting through to Day 12.

I hope you sleep well tonight.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

These are hit or miss for people, but I enjoy them:

Sleep II + WIND & RAIN (One Hour Binaural & Isochronic beats for sleep 3.4Hz Delta range & OM) - YouTube

Anything from that YouTube user "MrKlawdek" is good along these lines. He has a few dedicated to sleep / relaxation.

Use headphones, and set it barely loud enough to hear, almost like a subliminal thing. Listen to that for about 30 minutes while relaxing, then try to sleep again. Or fall asleep with the headphones on, if that's comfortable. Congratulations on day 12! That's amazing.