Hello-I am new

Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello-I am new

Wanted to say hello. I am new to the forums. My brother is struggling with a drug addiction. He has not served any time in jail yet but does have a court date forthcoming. I have read some of the posts on here and have found them helpful. Seeking some advice on how to help my parents navigate through this and maybe some tips for helping my brother... thank you.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, cofeebrk38! I'm glad you found this forum. It has been so helpful to me. There are so many wonderful people, with lots of experience, strength, and hope to share. I am sure they will be along shortly.

One of the first things they taught me were the three Cs. My husband is an addict. I passed these three Cs on to his parents and sisters. I don't know if they've chosen to remember them or not, but I do! They are: I did not Cause it; I cannot Control it; I cannot Cure it.

Please remember this. You, nor your parents, nor any other family member, did not Cause your brother's addiction; you all cannot Control it (trust me, if any of us could have made our loved ones quit, we already would have.....the opposite is true too....none of us are able to actually make someone relapse because we are not doing what they want us to do); you all cannot Cure it!

(((hugs))) to you!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I to am here for my brother (who is now IN jail after subsequent court dates).

I sent my parents some various info back when we first learned. I sent them the nar-anon meeting list for their town, told them about the type of addiction therapist I was seeing (each state seems to have their own designations), and also sent them a link to this forum and a couple other info pages I gathered.

I left it at that, their choice from that point if they wanted to seek help or not, I just made info available that I had gathered for myself.

I would focus on yourself though, going to meetings, reading, and this forum and find what works for you

Welcome to the group!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im sorry to hear about your brothers drug issues. The upcoming court issue has to be causing worry for everyone; addiction certainly is a family disease. I think its great your doing some research, and hopefully can share some of what you find with your parents. I would start at the source; NIDA - The National Institute of Drug Abuse website: National Institute on Drug Abuse
Their site is filled with information, and has a special section just for family members. The most important factor they speak of in dealing with addiction,is ensuring proper treatment based on a persons indiviual needs... In addition to this site, I would suggest taking a look at information available based on a combined effort by NIDA and HBO; a project called ‘Addiction’. All of the info provided here is based on guidelines of NIDA and has been organized where it is easy to read: HBO: Addiction: Treatment: Getting Someone into Treatment

This forum also has lots of information, and many personal stories. I always suggest family read from the Substance Abuse forum also. There is a lot of insight there from people who are in recovery, or who are struggling to overcome addiction issues.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this .I have four brothers on drugs and a husband so my day to day life is one big struggle also if you ever need to talk please feel free hope things get better for your family ..
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A big thank you to everybody for the replies and advice.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I hope things improve for you and your family. If you ever need to talk please feel free as well.