Notices

Detox Night Sweats Question?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox Night Sweats Question?

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me the science behind why I sweat at night when I am detoxing and not at all during the day? Does this happen to anyone else? It baffles me. Thanks. PG
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same thing happens to me but this passed about day 5-6. I was detoxing from heroin. It does get better but not as fast as we would like. I came clean with those around me, it wasn't like they didn't know already. It was a huge burden lifted of me. The people around you that love you will support you. This has made it much easier for me in that respect. Hang in, it does get better everyday. We must walk through the fire to become purified.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't explain it but i can say it does definitely go away after a while. I got them when i was drinking too sometimes. One of the biggest benefits to quitting for me is that I actually fall asleep and generally sleep through the entire night now. It didn't happen right away, but after a month or so i finally started sleeping much better.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

There were a lot of baffling things that happened to me. I am content to know that my body knew what it needed to do to get right. It takes time
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gaah, in the nights when I didn't drink, I'd get these sweats and wake up in a panic. Horrible.

The science behind the sweats is complicated, google "adrenergic storm".

But since you asked, lol... Basically your body - at a biochemical level - is "used" to the presence of alcohol (booze affects certain neurotransmitters very heavily), same for other drugs; when the drug is gone, your whole system is off balance, so it tries to compensate for the missing booze or drug (via GABA, it can't!), triggering other neurotransmitters (glutamate and others) in the process, which in turn... etc. This whole mess translates into sweats and the other typical withdrawal symptoms. Sorry, I'm a geek, lol.

The good news is that, if your doctor is overseeing your detox, you have nothing to worry about. Our body is amazingly resilient, if given a chance it will regain its balance very quickly. The sweats should stop very soon.

The bad news is, by a process called "kindling", each successive detox gets exponentially worse and dangerous. Make sure that this is the last time you have to endure withdrawal
Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Mattcake. I am a card carrying member of the nerd club myself, just not a science nerd! I really appreciate the detailed info you gave me. Thanks again! PG
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can't wait for those to go away... I haven't been drinking for a handful of weeks, but keep waking up in a pool of sweat. . . ARGH!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Night sweats

I had the night sweats for over a week. Soaking my comforter and bed. I detoxed off of opioids. Seems to be the normal process of your body healing.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PG, to answer your original question, there are plenty of theories but nobody really knows why the sweating usually occurs at night. The "adrenergic storm" can happen during the day of course, if the withdrawal is severe enough.

It's interesting to note that "social" drinkers can also bump into the sweating thing if they drink too much. Hangovers are mini-withdrawals, and they do get progressively worse via kindling. Alcohol *really* messes up your brain, both at a morphological and biochemical level. It's poison.

Anyway, maybe try keeping a fresh set of bedclothes and PJs and a towel handy, if you wake up just quickly dry off, change everything and go back to sleep, lol, that's what I did. xo