Notices

Unfamilar territory

Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unfamilar territory

I get this weird feeling when i am getting in my car to go somewhere in the evening.. It dawned on me, that the weird feeling is that I am sober and I am going somewhere at night. I AM SOBER AND GOING SOMEWHERE AT NIGHT! WHOA!
I never left the house after I got home from work. I started drinking and that was all she wrote.
Just wanted to share this unfamiliar territory with you all.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get the same feeling about going places at night now. Actually, I noticed last night, it felt strange being sober and on SR posting late at night. I couldn't remember the last time I felt that clear-headed after dark.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Been there, done that.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Definitely disorienting doing things sober the first time (since we were kids anyway). I've felt that way enough times now to kind of feel curiously amused now instead of worried, though. As in, "I wonder what it will be like to sit in the bleachers at Wrigley sober?"

I remember being pretty worried about holidays & bday parties & such, but they were a lot easier than I thought they'd be, and once people started getting too loopy, I just went home thinking, "Thank God that's not me again."
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean!!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, what a novel idea... to be able to go somewhere at night without worrying about being drunk. I'm only a handful of days into being sober, but I've gone to the store twice so far, and walking past "that" aisle is so strange now. I just breezed past it and enjoyed not having to carry around a heavy basket for a change.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PoeticBlunder View Post
Wow, what a novel idea... to be able to go somewhere at night without worrying about being drunk. I'm only a handful of days into being sober, but I've gone to the store twice so far, and walking past "that" aisle is so strange now. I just breezed past it and enjoyed not having to carry around a heavy basket for a change.
Ya know, it's strange, because I thought walking past 'that' aisle felt strange, too. Actually, I felt this shadow of anxiety about having to do it, but then (and this is what made it strange that the aisle bugged me)I realized how ridiculous that was considering there are bottles of liquor in my house I could have drank that were already mine and if I could resist that temptation, surely it's no big deal walking past them in the store.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I noticed how cheap my grocery bill was for food. I usually end up with $200 plus dollars at the cash register for a Friday night dinner and am surprised to see it at $20 instead. And how cheap it is to go out to dinner...Instead of having to rush home from work at 4pm to get started drinking, I can take my time enjoying things and come home at a much later time. it's shocking.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dont you just love that feeling.
and when you notice yourself driving and singing to the music really loud, all off tune and people see you and you just dont care and you just then think JEEZ I AM SOBER HOLY CRAPPERS
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember the feeling, I still get it sometimes Nice, in a .. confusing.. way. Starting over, but half knowing what to expect. It's like finishing a 750+ piece puzzle for the second time, when a certain sadness overtakes the joy of placing the final piece... and then come relief. Very bittersweet and enjoyable
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me, its really about going out past a certain hour. It was like, I was a werewolf and I couldnt leave the house due to my transformation. Now that there is no transforming going on, I get to experience the world at 6pm. Crazy!

( Ive discovered that its the same as in the daytime)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Mizzuno, that's a good analogy! In a way, I think that we're slightly different from people who haven't had to deal with addiction. The werewolf is always within us, and alcohol brings him or her out. In recovery, maybe we can find a way to safely let him out again, to allow him to roam around He's misunderstood.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
Dont you just love that feeling.
and when you notice yourself driving and singing to the music really loud, all off tune and people see you and you just dont care and you just then think JEEZ I AM SOBER HOLY CRAPPERS
Too funny that you mentioned that. I sang Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of my lungs driving home work today, over-the-top hand gestures and all. I'm starting to realize I'm just as goofy sober... I just have better balance!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice drive, a nice dinner. No drinks just relaxing. I loved Cali when it was warm and just drive with the top down. Oh and drive fast lol
Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
haha! Yes, I remember this exact feeling Mizzuno. I started taking my kids out for ice cream in the evenings and for drives...I was like, "OMG LOOK AT ALL THESE PEOPLE!!"

It's funny because when I was a drinker, I made sure my kids were in their rooms fairly early, I didn't care if they were watching tv all night or playing xbox as long as they left me alone to drink (more). When I quit, we were out and about a lot in the evenings.
7-11 Slurpee runs at 10:00, why? because I could!! I felt like a kid again. Me not drinking was like a party in itself for my kids and me. It took me a while to realize that I did need to get them to bed at a reasonable hour