Same old

Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Same old

So tonight i ask my mom if she'd been drinking. she said no, but of course i didnt believe her one bit. While we were eating dinner, she was saying how she would never lie to me about her drinking and how she's always truthful about that to my brother and I and blah blah blah. One of the "enablers" i guess you could call in my family would be my aunt ( my moms sister) whom she goes to her house a lot and usually finishes a bottle of wine. Tonight she said, im going to Liz's (her sister) see you later. SO i stopped her before she left and said "can you just promise me( and my little brother) that you wont drink...please mom". she said no, she couldnt promise us so couldnt drink, she said she's fine to have a few beers and that she can do that. Obviously she cant, if she could, then we wouldnt be in this position now. Even when she said to me and my little brother that she couldnt make a promise my dad stepped it and said "come on, can you just promise your kids not to drink?" she said ya i'll try in a very unconvincing voice and left the house. A few minutes later, the phone rings and its my aunt Liz. She too is trying to help my mom stop drinking. My dad picked up the phone downstairs, and i picked up the upstairs phone so i could hear too. MY aunt liz said to my dad, " hey, so i can guarenntee that (my mom) is stopping at the liquor store on her way up to my house, what should i do about that?" my dad asked her to step up, and take action to not let her drink. My dad was telling my aunt Liz how she HAD a few beers after work earlier today so i figured out that she had in fact lied to me. He asked my aunt liz to call him if she does start drinking and if she doesnt listen to her, then he would drive up to her house and bring her home.
Basically, im so tired of my mom lying and sneaking around drinking. It just never ends, i dont know if its normal to go to an AA meeting one day and then the next day have 4 beers after work. Like what is the point of rehab and counselling if it never ends. This is really killing me, im crying about my moms drinking and how shes always lying about her whereabouts. Im too young to be worrying about this...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you have to live with your Mom drinking. Are you still in school and living at home? You should have a talk with your counselor at school and ask them to find a Alateen meeting you can attend. My Dad drank till he was 80. It doesn't matter how much you ask them to not drink, they still will. Until they decide to quit. Please try to emotionally detach, I know it's hard but it's best for your emotional health. Pay attention to yourself and be the best you can be, prepare for your future to get out of there as soon as you can. Learn about this disease and don't feel guilty. It's never your fault. We have a saying here about the three C's about alcoholicx:
You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I am still in school...and living at home. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember being at home with my drunken father and how hard it was. Have you reached out to your school counselor? I never did and now I think if I was young in school now I would reach out. There is so much support for you now, people do care. If you find it hard to tell people show them your post above, write it out or print it out. Keep reading here, read my blog. You can find it under my name to the left where it says Blog entries.

Do everything you can to be able to leave the minute you graduate high school. Get a part time job as soon as you can. Join a church youth group. Don't party, you are highly likely to become alcoholic yourself if you do. I did and many others here did. It seems to be like a good way to forget your troubles and have fun for a while. But some of us are predisposed to not dealing well with alcohol.

Keep up in school with your grades so you can get a scholarship and go to college. It's never too late. Think of your future. You have the whole world waiting for you. Don't let this shape you. Shape yourself.

I don't mean to lecture you, but I am concerned that you find help to make it through this tough time.

What do you like to do? What is your interests and talents?