Notices

I found the courage to change.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I found the courage to change.

For the last 6 months I have been becoming extremely distressed and and depressed about an issue with my job. There is no doubt that it was a major factor in my last relapse. I knew that I had to do something because thoughts of drinking have been getting rather strong of late. I have been thinking of the last part of the 'Serenity Prayer' - Courage to change the things I can., and this has helped me a lot.

Today I walked into my bosses office and calmly explained to her that I simply didn't think that I was up to a particular portion of my job. And that I do not have the experience, to cope with it. I explained that I felt that others were suffering because of my inability to succeed, and the best for everyone would be to take me away from it, and use an employee who has far greater experience under their belt to take over that part of my job in September.

This of course does threaten my contract with my employer, (I have a new contract every September). However, I know deep down that to continue as I have been would mean disaster for me. I carefully weighed up the risks and know this to be the right decision.

Couldn't have done this 2 months ago. Thanks must go to my HP and SR.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shauninspain View Post
For the last 6 months I have been becoming extremely distressed and and depressed about an issue with my job. There is no doubt that it was a major factor in my last relapse. I knew that I had to do something because thoughts of drinking have been getting rather strong of late. I have been thinking of the last part of the 'Serenity Prayer' - Courage to change the things I can., and this has helped me a lot.

Today I walked into my bosses office and calmly explained to her that I simply didn't think that I was up to a particular portion of my job. And that I do not have the experience, to cope with it. I explained that I felt that others were suffering because of my inability to succeed, and the best for everyone would be to take me away from it, and use an employee who has far greater experience under their belt to take over that part of my job in September.

This of course does threaten my contract with my employer, (I have a new contract every September). However, I know deep down that to continue as I have been would mean disaster for me. I carefully weighed up the risks and know this to be the right decision.

Couldn't have done this 2 months ago. Thanks must go to my HP and SR.

BOOM!!!

That is sooooooooooo bad@ss...

I manage several departments at my job, and I've never had someone do what you did. I'd respect the hell out of someone who came to me saying that "for the good of the company, someone else should do it."
I'd evaluate if that person was being honest, or being lazy, and then decide if I wanted to get them trained up for that particular job, or use them elsewhere.

Most of the time people just fail, and get let go or quit.

That kind of dialogue should be a managers dream. Hopefully it works out for you... Mostly because that was just awesome and balzy... Good luck to you!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good deal Shaun. It can be tough doing what you did, but it sounds like you did what was right for you.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shaun, it took a lot of courage to do that, and I'm sure your employer will be aware of that. And, I hope that you feel more peace with your job now.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dang, Shaun. You make me want to go back to managing people just to have a moment like that.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It takes a lot of courage to do that Shaun. Great job. Knowing what is healthy for you and speaking up about it means that you are taking care of yourself even if the outcome is less than favorable. I wish this post was up earlier this morning. Ive learned a great deal from this.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you, Shaun. I remember that you were feeling challenged at your job when you first came here. I'm so glad you're in the process of resolving the issue. Not drinking has obviously made you stronger and more confident. It's strange how we think it's helping us to cope - when it does just the opposite. You definitely did the right thing!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good deal! There is no sense in getting yourself all stressed out over a job. The most important thing is your sobriety. I know it is different for men, but I wish it weren't. When we are about to die, I don't think we will be thinking "gee I wish I had been a better ----", ya know?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still I rise.