Notices

Those silly drinking dreams...

Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Those silly drinking dreams...

For the third time in 79 days of sobriety, I had another one of those silly little drinking dreams. It's virtually the same scenario every time. I'm out with friends, they're all drinking and I decide to give in and join them. I then get a feeling of overwhelming disappointment, kind of like quitting before you finish a game or hit the finish line. The silver lining to having these bad dreams, is waking up, refreshed, feeling great, and knowing it was just all a bad dream.

When I wake up, I see my "No Alcohol Calendar" on the wall across from my bed, where I fill in each day writing in bold letters "Day # of No Alcohol! - with other happy comments and smiley faces, hearts, ...whatever the heck makes me feel a great sense of accomplishment. Each day that's filled in, I feel a sense of wonderful achievement in that I can wake up each morning and go to sleep each night, joyfully anticipating at how I'm shaping my healthier and happier future.

It's funny that I dream about that in particular, because I've been keeping myself very safe, in that I don't go to bars, and I don't keep any alcohol or even wine glasses in the house. I was an at-home wine drinker. I now think of alcohol as I would a poison, I wouldn't drink alcohol like I wouldn't drink paint.

Just some thoughts. Thanks for listening SR family.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I hate those dreams. I always feel like I relapsed when I have those dreams.

I haven't had one in a long time, but that's because I've been drinking. I'm sure those dreams will be coming for me in the near future.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The dreams are from your subconscious right? So look at it this way, the fact that in your dream you feel guilty and disappointed means that the idea that you can no longer drink has entered your subconscious mind as well as your conscious mind. That is a good thing!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
The dreams are from your subconscious right? So look at it this way, the fact that in your dream you feel guilty and disappointed means that the idea that you can no longer drink has entered your subconscious mind as well as your conscious mind. That is a good thing!
Never thought of it that way, but that's really cool.

Based on my dreams of the past 3 nights. My subconscious and conscious mind realizes that if I let clowns into my home, they'll murder my family.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to get upset by those types of dreams. I would wake up angry til one night I was dreaming I was drinking and smoking weed while dancing in front of a gigantic ipod in the middle of the street. I woke up thinking that was such a fun dream. Lol
My drinking dreams are few and far between now a days tho. I hope your dreams don't bother you too much and u continue to sleep well. <3
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
Yay! I LOVE it!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stash View Post
I used to get upset by those types of dreams. I would wake up angry til one night I was dreaming I was drinking and smoking weed while dancing in front of a gigantic ipod in the middle of the street. I woke up thinking that was such a fun dream. Lol <3
Your dream reminds me a little of the opening to the movie Vanilla Sky. I've watched that movie 3 times this week, listening intently to all of the hidden meanings and learning something new each time. My perception of the movie relates a lot to drugs and alcohol and vanity, and really living a sober, awake life. Several times, the main character is being told to "Wake up" from his dreams, as well as the comparison of living in the ideal but emotionally deadened state vs. actually being brave to waking up and living a real life which includes both the sour and the sweet. (Several references that the sour in life is vital to realize the sweet.) And of course my favorite line in the movie, "Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."