Meth psychosis

Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Meth psychosis

Does anyone here know how long meth psychosis lasts or does it vary greatly from person to person? Is there a medical treatment for it?

My daughter has been using meth through IV for about a year or more from what I can gather. Her DOC has been heroin but there was none where she lived. We picked her up Sunday in a city about 3 hrs away because she called and said she wanted help and asked if we could help her get some medical treatment and rehab. She is very sick. She has seen a dr. who did some bloodwork and urinalysis and they signed her up for free care so she can get a dr. to do some more testing and treatment if necessary. She has an intake appt. for rehab next week. She seems willing to do anything which is a good sign but I am concerned about the psychosis and how to deal with it until she gets into a rehab. She has to wait for a bed to become available because it is the free care...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PT
I pray that this is your daughter's bottom. From what I have seen, there is meth psychosis and there is the long term affect of meth on the brain. When I picked my son up several months ago, he was in the midst of a meth psychosis episode. He wanted medicine for the worms he had in his body. He was trying to show me the worms and was very alarmed that I couldn't see them. It was sad. He seemed like a small child...the confusion in his eyes just ripped my heart out. My son also mentioned he would see "shadow people" when high which would cause significant paranoia.

He went to treatment (which is where he is now) and has been there for the last five months. I saw him the first time about three months in and he said that his head felt clear for the first time in years. I saw him again last Sunday and he seems to be a totally different person. I can't explain it but there was a light in his eyes and on his face.....instead of the dark, death-like look he had before he went in. But I've heard it takes 1-2 years for the body and brain to recover from the affects of meth. And I have heard that in some ways, it never fully recovers.

From what I understand, the actual psychosis occurs while they are high and/or sleep deprived.

Your daughter will be in my prayers. Please God.....let this be her turning point.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear PT, I have learned that my son suffered from a meth psychosis which caused him to actually get so paranoid that he stole a loaf of bread and demanded to be arrested (and succeeded!). He felt people were chasing him because he had gotten into an altercation with someone and his paranoia overtook his rational mind. He fell into a river and then begged a shopkeeper to call 911. When they didn't call, he took the loaf of bread and told her to call the cops and he would wait outside.
Nothing rational entered his thought process, he fixated on the fact he was being chased and he felt the only safe place was jail.
Now he has to sit in the pokey for 90 days since that is the punishment for being under the influence!
This happened on Feb 20. Of course he doesn't feel the same now and is embarrased and maybe FINALLY realizes what he needs to get better.
I hope your daughter can separate the reality from the paranoia. I am also glad she reached out to you for help. That's a good sign.