When given the choice....

Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When given the choice....

THIS mother chooses the MAN over her own child:

Boy claims step-dad stabbed him with fork, tied him up
By Joel Moreno Published: Apr 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM PDT Last Updated: Apr 17, 2013 at 6:58 AM PDT

EVERETT, Wash. -- A 9-year-old boy told Everett police his step-dad stabbed him with a fork, then left the boy tied up in duct tape until he was able to make his escape.

But the boy's mother disputes the story and says police have it all wrong.

Police admit it's a challenging case because there are no outside witnesses, but one thing investigators are sure of: The child had four bleeding puncture wounds in his thigh that looked like they came from the prongs of a fork.

A neighbor called 911 after he heard commotion in the apartment where the boy and his step-dad were playing. The neighbor sensed the boy was in trouble and called police after the boy left.

"(Officers) are told by the juvenile that his stepfather is acting drunk and acting crazy, and that he had duct-taped him, and that indeed he had stabbed him," said Aaron Snell with Everett Police.

Officers arrested Steven Williams for investigation of assaulting a child and unlawful imprisonment. The boy told them Williams stabbed him in the thigh with a fork. But the child's mom says it's a misunderstanding.

"They were rough-housing so my son went to go kick him and he had a fork in his hand and it got his leg," said the mother, who wants to remain anonymous. "And that's all that happened."

Police saw puncture wounds that were still bleeding above the child's knee. The boy also told officers that after he was stabbed, his step-dad bound him in duct tape and left him tied up for more than an hour.

The boy's mother says it didn't happen at all.

"My son and I were playing around a week or two ago, and I was playing around with the duct tape," the mother said. "I told him we were going to do that, joking around."

Williams has an extensive criminal record with past convictions for theft, drugs, and drunk driving. He also had an outstanding warrant for domestic violence assault.

The 9-year-old remains with his mom at their Everett apartment. She says the boy blames himself for his step-dad's arrest.

"He's fine physically," the mother said. "He feels horrible about the entire situation. Of course he feels like its his fault now, and I've told him it's not. He's trying to deal with it just like we all are."

Williams is being held in the Snohomish County Jail on $75,000 bail.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
This is awful. Man...
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't even know where to start. That's just sickening.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Reminds me of Dave Pelzers memoir A Child Called "It". As many times as I've read or seen kids getting thrown under the bus...it still sickens me. I hope CPS does the right thing, but I know better.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I still can't shake this even though I don't have personal experience with it.

It makes me think about all the stories from ACOA's here.
It makes me think about all the regret filled stories from parents/partners of A's.
It makes me think about all the stories from parents/guardians who come here asking for advice then choose to stay.

It makes me angry and sad.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How sad for that little boy – remaining with his mom. They obviously both need an extreme amount of help and hopefully child protective services will get involved and figure out that the mom is most likely lying and that the child is still in danger, at least emotional danger.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

more details revealed:

EVERETT -- A police officer met the young boy on the sidewalk.

The child, 9, complained about pain from a stab wound, which was seeping blood.

His stepfather, 31, was out of control -- "all drunk and everything" -- and had lost his temper before chasing him around a coffee table with a fork, the boy told the Everett police officer Sunday.

Police could see where four prongs from the fork had punctured the skin on the thigh just above the knee. The area was red and inflamed.

As police approached the suspect, he swore at them, went inside the apartment and slammed the door, which he refused to open, court papers said.

The boy told police the man earlier tied him up with duct tape and left him lying on the floor for more than an hour. His entire upper body, including his head and face were taped, court papers said. His arms were taped to his sides.

The tape covered his eyes and mouth. The boy said he was crying so hard the tape didn't stick to his eyes. He used his tongue to push the duct tape away from his mouth.

The boy's mother was at work during the day. She gave police permission to go inside the apartment where police found used duct tape and an empty roll. They also spotted a fork on the living room floor near the coffee table. The duct tape and fork were seized as evidence.

The mother said she wasn't sure if she was married to the man or not. She initially claimed that the man was her boyfriend, that he lives in Gold Bar and that she would take him home. Later, she said they had eloped in January, but she said she wasn't sure if the judge filed the marriage papers.

The man allegedly admitted to police that he had "poked" the boy with a fork and tied him up with duct tape.

The police report will be forwarded to Child Protective Services, Everett officer Aaron Snell said.

The suspect was arrested for investigation of unlawful imprisonment and third-degree assault of a child. He also had an outstanding warrant for domestic violence assault.

Bail was set at $75,000, the amount requested by prosecutors who noted that the suspect has had 40 bench warrants in the past.

+++

i don't have much faith in CPS anymore but there is always hope that they will get ONE case right. poor little guy. he'd be better off with a troupe of chimpanzees.......
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

If the subject of child abuse is something you can read, I would highly recommend the trilogy by David Pelzer. A child called it, the lost boy and a man named Dave. Alcoholism/addiction, codependency, and untreated mental illness with children at its worse.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

And the child was still left in this "mothers" care? With?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CPS took me away from my home when I told my neighbor of the inappropriate things my dad had done with me when I was 8 years old.

I stayed the night away from my house that night after I was called down to the principal's office and met by some police officers who questioned me.

I tried not to tell them about my dad, but eventually it came out I guess so off I went into the police car to the shelter.

I was so sad when they wouldn't let me call my mom, but as I got older I realized why they wouldn't let me. They had to make sure my mom wasn't abusive or "in on it" too.

She was appalled at what happened and my dad also admitted to what he had done. I got to go home with my mom soon after and my dad was out of the house.

I remember getting my hands on a copy of that Child Called It book when I was in middle school. It's actually the book that brought back the memories of what had happened when I was 8. I had totally forgotten until I read that book.

I started feeling confused and angry and not right -- and eventually approached my mom and asked her if something happened to me when I was little and she confirmed that it had.

This story could go on and on about what happened from there...which is not necessary here....

But I did want to say that I had a positive experience with CPS helping me and my family and I'm grateful for that.

I'll be thinking about the brave little boy in this story who spoke the truth. I hope he can sleep safely and soundly and can feel some sense of love -- even if it's from super far away from all of us. <3