Notices

Had to tell a potential employer

Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had to tell a potential employer

that I am in recovery. I don't know what else I can say when I have three misdemeanor DUI convictions. My husband doesn't think I should say anything about it. I think I should. You almost have to be an alcoholic to get three DUIs. Either that or a moron. Or both (!)

One was in 2008 and the others were in 2011.

What do you think? I just sent an email in response to the email they sent me with the background check. I just let her know that I have DUI convictions but I am in recovery and working a program. I have people in AA that will vouch for my character and sobriety.

Am I screwed?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
that I am in recovery. I don't know what else I can say when I have three misdemeanor DUI convictions. My husband doesn't think I should say anything about it. I think I should. You almost have to be an alcoholic to get three DUIs. Either that or a moron. Or both (!)

One was in 2008 and the others were in 2011.

What do you think? I just sent an email in response to the email they sent me with the background check. I just let her know that I have DUI convictions but I am in recovery and working a program. I have people in AA that will vouch for my character and sobriety.

Am I screwed?

I'm not an HR expert or a career counselor or anything, but I think that when you KNOW something is going to show up on a background check, you are MUCH better off giving the potential employer a heads up and an explanation. I think that when there's no question of an employer finding out something negative, you pretty much have to explain it beforehand. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and supply the AA references pre-emptively, if that's the word. I would want to appear EAGER to prove that I'm actively working on my sobriety.

I am also curious as to how having DUI misdemeanors relates (if it does) to protections for alcoholics under the Americans with Disabilities Act. AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT OF 1990, AS AMENDED
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have two DUI convictions.
I've never said anything about them and I've gone through some pretty tough screening.
In fact I had to take a blood test and this was back when I was drinking every night. I now know that my liver counts had to be much higher than normal. Again - nothing.
Seems to me a lot of addicts carry shame around with them and then do waaaay more than others would to compensate for that shame.

What I mean to say is that it's none of their business what you are doing in your free time.

I mean it's illegal to ask if you're married, if you have children, what religion you are or your political affiliation.

I hope people don't volunteer information that is no business of an employer. They have no rights to know that stuff unless the job specifically requires that information -- and most jobs don't.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Truth is the best answer in my opinion. If they know about them and asked, you can't possibly gain anything by lying about it. In all reality what else would you say anyway?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If you were directly asked about criminal activity, you should answer truthfully. If you were not asked, I would not volunteer the information.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you are asked a specific question, you must answer truthfully. Period.

IDK that it is information you should volunteer. IDK what a background check entails... Better to be open and honest than have to explain any lies you may told.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I think you have displayed honesty. Now to us that is an honourable character trait. I don't know whether you're prospective employer will view this negatively or not. You can only hope they see your honesty and consider it a plus point.

Natom
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

GUESS WHAT? She thanked me for being honest and said that it is not a consideration!!!!!!!!

I did really well on the interview and I think they want to hire me!!!!!!

I have not worked a real job since I got fired in June of 2010!!!!! For getting drunk at work no less. I am sober and ready to be back at work. I have been on disability and am ready to earn my way. My husband is hesitant for me to be off of disability and nervous, I guess, but I have over six months now, I am working the steps, being honest about EVERYTHING, even when I want to drink (which has not been lately) and I think I want to be as close to normal as possible again.

I have worked at a retail job (first one ever) making a $8.50 an hour since last August. I do my best at this job but it is not for me. It has humbled me and made me know I want to get a job again.

I am stable on my meds for my bipolar too.

What do ya'll think?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What do ya'll think?
I think that's fantastic! Best of luck and kudos for being honest.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad that worked out!

Yeah, I think when they do most standard screenings they're looking for Felonies, or crimes involving fraud, theft or violence. So yours would not have been considered.

It's still awesome that you ponied up the information right off the bat and had the courage to see where it went. Congratulations, hope you get the job
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What do ya'll think?
That's fantastic!!! Way to go!!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's great! I say go for it!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good job(pardon the pun) Liz!
I was debating this honesty thing if it were to come up on application coz not working now but I'm faced w/ a catch 22...I got my 2nd(&my last for sure) in May but court date hasn't been set yet. I pled nolo on the 1st since I'd never been arrested before. The program teaches me to be honest but I don't want to miss out on opportunity for smthg I no longer do...grrr Anyway, I'm glad you passed the "test" God set out for u & now I'm starting to think He put u in my path so I can imitate u...hmmmm
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How did you get on disability? I am considering doing that for my job for the rest of the school year. I think I need to take this recovery thing to the professionals but I don't know how the disabiliy thing works...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AWESOME!! I worried and fretted about the background checks for quite a while. My gut said "be honest" but I also have a tendency to tell everything, and thanks to the people here, I learned to "not answer the questions that haven't been asked".

I think you did GREAT and I'm grateful for the lady who thanked you for being honest. It's nice to know that people still appreciate the truth, even when it's about something we see as "bad".

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you. This is a great thing. I really hope that you get this position. It will help with your esteem, your income, your life as a whole. Wonderful news!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you were honest Elizabeth. I believe it does pay dividends
Congratulations
D
Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Elisabeth, I hope that new job comes through and it's good that you got the dui issues out of the way.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good for you - my 2 cents after the fact is I would have not voluenteered any info, but that's me. In my state a DUI is a felony. Even the first one and would be reported on background check.
I don't have a history but I consider myself lucky in dodging bullets and luck over being careful as there were many times I could have/should have gotten in trouble.
I am back to looking for a job too and hopeful to find one soon.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
How did you get on disability? I am considering doing that for my job for the rest of the school year. I think I need to take this recovery thing to the professionals but I don't know how the disabiliy thing works...
I am bipolar and an an alcoholic and I just had a series of hospitalizations for both issues of about FOUR times. My doctor suggested I apply for dissability and helped me get it I guess. I was a HOT MESS. I am better now though