Notices

Sleeping advice after quitting nightly wine habit?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sleeping advice after quitting nightly wine habit?

Hi all, I joined this forum earlier in the month and am on Day 11. It has helped me so much. I recently told my mom about my desire to quit drinking and I think it scared her because she also now wants to quit her evening wine habit. She does not drink nearly as much as I did, but she has been drinking wine every evening, after work, for the past 15 years or so (she is 65 now). She began this habit shortly after my parents got divorced and she still lives alone so I think it is habit due to loneliness and boredom? She probably drank 3-4 glasses each night and is on Day 3 of nothing and feels great, but she is having problems sleeping. She self-medicated at night for so long it's not surprising, right? I drank much more than this, but not every night, and my sleep has improved grestly since I quit. Did anyone else experience insomnia right after quitting and what advice can I give her to help? I am worried she will go back to her habit just so she can sleep. She is worried about being so exhausted at work.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some other people on this site swear by kiwi fruit before bed.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmm, never heard of that, thanks!!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had some trouble sleeping. The first week I would try to wear myself out as much as possible during the day. extra hours at the office and some good hard working on, that made my body tired enough I could actually sleep. Don't try to go to bed too early. Not great advice I know but its what kept me sane through the first week where I found sleeping to be a nightmare!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

We've been pouring central nervous system depressants down the neck for ages, so when we stop, there is a rebound effect as our machine recovers after the weight of impairment is lifted. It springs up and overshoots, and is much more reactive to small stimuli at first. It will settle down in its own time.

For help sleeping at night, look at the suggestions that help even non-recovering addicts get settled. Exercise, diet, some tryptophan (milk and cereal work for me) before bed, sleepytime tea, maybe some melatonin. While the solution is being found there is comfort in knowing that the body and brain are returning to normal through this process.

Consult your doctor before adding new substances, even herbal ones, to your diet.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think there is lots of great advice re: exercise, decaf teas, etc. They all work for me. I do want to share one contrarian thought though. I spent the better part of my adult life unable to stay awake past 9ish PM. First due to anxiety, then due to alcohol and finally due to alcohol induced anxiety that just wiped me out at night - you would think the alcohol reduced the anxiety, but we all know the true story. One of the greatest benefits I have of my 16 month sobriety? I can now stay up past 9. Of course I panicked at first too, about falling asleep at 2 or 3 am only to have to wake up at 6:30am. But I realized that on my worst morning, I felt better than I did after 3-4 glasses of wine and waking up groggy headed. I was finally able to watch evening shows, finish work I procrastinated with (that caused further anxiety), chat with my wife, etc. .................So my recommendation, maybe tell her to stop stressing the late nights at least initially, and enjoy all the new things she can do during a productive night life. I'm still astounded by how fun staying awake can be.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and no one ever died from lack of sleep.

it took me a long time to get a GOOD nights sleep and have bouts of insomnia every once and awhile but i know it will go away. this too shall pass
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did not sleep the night before last because of anxiety/panic attack. The chatter in my head would not stop. I took five hot showers, valerian suplaments, went for a walk and still couldnt fall asleep. Last night was similar evening with chatter in my head, took three valerian supluments, went for a 20 min walk. Did fall asleep but dont know if that was because I did not sleep the night before. Will try same thing today, let you know.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Effect of kiwifruit consumption on slee... [Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

diabetesdailypost.com/sleeping-better-​and-kiwi-fruit -

read this (if i copied it correctly and it ok to do so)...there are many articles about Kiwi.

I've started eating 2 ripe peeled(I use a potato peeler) kiwi around 9PM since Sunday, I can't keep my eyes open past 10:15...get a solid 7-7.5 hours of real quality sleep....it's certainly not harmful and also provides vitamin c.

I've always had insomnia, I've taken every prescription med to sleep and OTC also.