35 weeks pregnant and alone with a 2 yr old

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

35 weeks pregnant and alone with a 2 yr old

So the events of the last two or three months are as follows: my BF and I have a conversation where we both decide that my job is too stressful for my current pregnancy and so I quit. He promises he will take care of me and support us and since he hasn't been drinking much in the last few months, I believe him. I receive my last paycheck March 1st and about a week later, he gets fired from his job for calling in. He's been telling me that they just don't need him that day due to the weather. He finally finds a part time job working minimum wage. After three weeks of work he quits on his first payday (April 5th). We get into a huge fight and I threw him out for the night. That was a friday and he doesn't show up until sunday morning. He apparently slept outside because he refused to ask his friends for a place to crash. While we were fighting his sister gets involved over the phone and I have three one hour long conversations with her about his drinking and their alcoholic father. I think I might have made her realize that he has a drinking problem. How she didn't realize before, I have no clue. So for the next week he walks on eggshells and I try to gather my thoughts so we can have 'the talk'. I'm having a hard time separating how I feel from my prego hormones so we don't talk before he leaves for a visit with his family last friday. Friday night he calls me and he's trashed. Apparently he thinks that I only don't want him to drink when he's around me. I don't know those extra words got added onto the simple sentence 'you need to quit drinking' but that's an A for you. He ends up being a total ass and telling me that its my fault he never sees his family.... whaa? I snapped halfway into the conversation and end up yelling for a few before common sense returns and I tell him to call me when he's sober. Sunday morning my brother informs me that A has taken a bunch of steel car parts to recycle when he was only supposed to take the aluminum cans and he's done. My brother tells me that he's not going to kick me out but that A has to immediately find somewhere else to stay (we were living with my bro while getting the money to move out of town). I inform A and he gets mad at ME because I 'never stick up for him' and because I told him that I'm not going to immediately start packing to move. He was outside somewhere really windy and I told him to call me back when he got inside. I haven't heard from him since. His sister shut me out and wont take my calls or answer my texts. I got a brief unfinished comment on FB responding to my post about wanting to scream.

I don't even know where to begin to start figuring out what to do. I cant get a job 9 months pregnant. I have literally zero dollars to my name (except food stamps). We have a storage unit with all of the new baby's stuff in it that needs to be paid. My car has no plates and we were supposed to move after the baby is born so I could start college in August. I don't even know how I'm going to get to my dr appointments or who's going to watch my 2 year old while I'm in labor. I'm at the verge of my own bottom here and I don't even like to drink!

I don't care if anybody replies to this with anything more than an 'I'm sorry this is happening to you', I just really need some compassion at this point. I'm very near my breaking point.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you need to find a Women's shelter that will take you in for a while .... you have a 2 yr old that needs you right now and I am sure there is a place near you..... look in the phone book if there is one......

There is a place safe for women to go and get away from guys like this one you are dealing with......

They can help you get a job that will accept your situation.... and get you back on your feet.... just try ...

But for the moment I will think about you each day as you work on you and that little kid you have....and the next one you are about to have....

You don't need a drunk in your life unless he is willing to change.... change is tough for all of us and when someone doesn't see the light at the end of the path.... then it will take lots of time for them to come around......

Think about your life right now and what your needs are....... get some sort of job to help with your needs....

Don't worry about what this guy is doing or what his family thinks..... the sister just shut the door and doesn't seem to care.... maybe her brother is giving her trouble now and all the blame got thrown at you...

Take each day as it comes and do what is right for you.... just don't look for him or look back..... move forward.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a place to stay with my brother and the A is out of the picture. He's staying with his sister out of town as far as I can tell. My main issue at this point is money. I can spend all day every day looking for a job but no one is going to hire someone who could go into labor tmr to next month.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think expenguin's advice for a women's shelter may be the best thing for you. They will provide for you and your infant's needs. Most will help with medical needs.

I would contact Alanon in your area. They won't be able to provide anything material, but will help emotionally.

You are not alone. I know of many women who have been in situations such as yours and are doing well.

Eliminate outside distractions, and focus on you and the child.

You will be taken care of.

Best to you.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with contacting the closest women's shelter--even if you are still living with your brother. They have contact with all of the resources that can help you and your baby/toddler. There are often resources that people don't take advantage of because they don't know about them. Also, you can contact the local social services department and find out what is available.

I think it is a mistake to expect any kind of support from an active alcoholic--you need to start relying on yourself and those people/services that you can trust. He does need to be held legally responsible for the financial support of his child. You can get legal advice about how to accomplish this through social services.

Try to find the closest alanon meeting. You need every bit of support you can find. There are women there that can be of assistance to you--and will understand your circumstances.

Keep posting and let us k now how you are doing.

sincerely, dandylion
Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by frstrtdGF View Post
I don't even know where to begin to start figuring out what to do. I cant get a job 9 months pregnant. I have literally zero dollars to my name (except food stamps). We have a storage unit with all of the new baby's stuff in it that needs to be paid. My car has no plates and we were supposed to move after the baby is born so I could start college in August. I don't even know how I'm going to get to my dr appointments or who's going to watch my 2 year old while I'm in labor. I'm at the verge of my own bottom here and I don't even like to drink!
Slow down and take some deep, calming breaths. Getting yourself worked up and stressed isn't healthy for you, the baby or your small child. It helps me to take deep breaths in and chant "peacefullness IN" and on the slow exhale chant "fear OUT".

You don't have to have all the answers by 8 p.m. tonight, right?
Give yourself the time and space to make healthy decisions for your future.

I believe the women's shelter can show you how many options are available to you in your community. Making the call and gathering information doesn't mean you have to accept their offers, but it can give you some power in knowing that there are choices you may not have considered.

I don't think your Alcoholic or his family will be a reliable source of assistance or funds. I say that based on something I learned about alcoholics: their past behaviors are a good indicator of their future behaviors.

If he has failed to meet his responsibilities in the past, he will again.
If he has manipulated you in the past, he will again.
If he has lied to you in the past, he will again.
If he has yelled at you in the past, he will again.

An alcoholic will tell us what we want to hear, just to get us off their back for a little while longer. They tell us what we need to hear so that we will keep believing that *next time will be different*.

I recommend, for your health and well-being, that you consider going No Contact with your alcoholic and with his family. Delete them from your facebook account so you don't have to see their drama (you can add them back later if you can trust them). Use this time of NO Contact to focus on what You can do to take better care of Yourself and your babies.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

From Cynical One

This was posted on Cynical One's blog. Cynical One is a member of SR and this is a share on the Rules of No Contact.

The NO CONTACT Rule

1. To keep my sanity and end this relationship, I must maintain NO CONTACT.

2. NO CONTACT includes every single form of contact with him/her..

2a. This also includes...do NOT ask friends/family about him/her and do NOT let friends/family tell you about him/her.

3. I will not email him/her.

4. I will not call him/her.

5. I will not send him/her letters, cards for any occasion or notes of any kind.

6. I will not text message, two way, fax or page him/her.

NO CONTACT MEANS - NO CONTACT

7. If he/she calls me, I will not answer the phone.

8. If he/she leaves a voice mail or answering machine messages, I will delete it without listening to it. (Anything he/she says is done to draw me back into his/her web of insanity.)

9. If he/she emails me, I will delete the message without reading it or answering it.

10. If he/she mails me a card, letter or note of any kind, I will throw it into the garbage can without opening it or reading it.

11. If he/she two-ways me, text messages or pages me, I will delete the message or the phone number and not listen to the message or return his/her call.

12. If I am ever tempted to do anything listed from 1-11, I will get to this board immediately and talk about it.

OR

Replace a hopeful reunion fantasy with a Clear Memory of a time that he/she insulted me, manipulated me, belittled me, made me cry, used my children, friends or family to demean me, embarassed me in front of co-workers, family or friends or used sex or love as a way to intentionally hurt me.

13. If I feel like I am about to reach for the phone to call him/her, write, email, page, fax or text message him/her, I will count to ten and clealy ask myself silently, why am I doing this?

14. If friends and family are not supportive of my efforts to remove myself from this relationship, I will not discuss my personal life with them and will ask them sternly not to offer their opinions. My decisions about this are my own. This is My Battle.

15. If I find that the urge to speak to him/her or see him/her has overwhelmed me and I slip off the course, I promise to be kind to myself and patient with the situation.

16. I promise to be good to myself, forgive myself and allow myself to move on and not dwell on this for ever.

17. I will stop creating chaos in my mind & enviornment.

18. I will accept reality-The facts.

19. I will accept others for who they are.

20. My hands are off others responsibilities: I will tend to my own, focus on me.

21. I will refuse to believe any of his/her lies about how wonderful his/her life is now. Basing the truth on the past, I will assume him/her to be lying.

22. I will distrust every time he/she has a "change of heart".

23. I will journal all my positive and negative feelings.

24. I must accept my own responsibility in this relationship.

25. I will strive to find what it was that he/she invoked in me that created MY behavior.

26. We must love ourselves.

27. Take time off before beginning a new relationship.

28. Find out what we need in a relationship, and go after that in a person that is worthy and has substance, morals, and ethics.

ACCEPT NOTHING LESS FOR YOURSELF!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is such a sad story. My prayers are with you at this time.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so, so sorry. I have three children already, ages 12, 7 and 3, and I am 5 1/2 months pregnant as well. I told my ABF that if he is drunk at the time I go into labor he can just stay at the bar because I will not call him or let him anywhere near me. He will also not appear on the birth certificate unless he can get his crap together before I go into labor, which I strongly advise you to consider. Your baby does not need an active A for a father. He can take you to court and try to get his rights - I guarantee you he won't bother.

As far as the women's shelter - that is great advice and I strongly advise you to take it. There are resources out there for you that will take care of most of your concerns.

To add to it, I second whomever said to never completely rely on an A. Also, never completely rely on anyone. That is my advice. The only one who can take care of you is you and trusting anyone with your livelihood and the well being of your kids is very dangerous. I am speaking as someone who has been there, unfortunately.

As a college professor, I also advise you to do anything you have to do to go to college. Although the job market may look bleak, college almost always leads to better circumstances, and you really need that for you and your kids.

So I guess take or leave my advice, but I wish you well and I hope you keep posting to let us know how you are!!

Alex
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are in this situation. I had my A leave me at 32 weeks pregnant for another woman. Next relationship (my current ex) is an A as well. She has been horrible and is taking me to court over my kids. Have you called social services? They have emergency public assistance for women in your situation. Tell them you are going to be homeless.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Dandylion
He does need to be held legally responsible for the financial support of his child. You can get legal advice about how to accomplish this through social services.
That is worth highlighting again. It is very important that he is financially legally responsible for his child. Regardless of whether he currently has a job nor or not is irrelevant. Regardless of what he says. There are 18 years to go until the child is considered an adult. Many things can change in that time period. If he does become employed, they can garnish his wages if he will not support his child. His accounts can be frozen, and he can also be put in jail for not paying. I am not wishing any of this on him, but so many people are just let slide on the financial obligations they have to their children as parents. In regard to child support, it's not about you, it's not about him, it's about that child and what is due that child. The woman's shelter or resource center should be able to navigate you through the process of filing the paperwork at your local courthouse if you're not familiar.

I'm so deeply sorry that you are going through this.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was just checking in to see if you were back to get all these wonderful notes that everyone has posted for your HELP......

I am still around and praying today that all goes well and you really think about all that has been said....

I still hold to the Women's Shelter for you.... it is nice that your brother is there for you and he will continue to be there if you get to the women's shelter....... At least you would be safe and A won't have contact with you there ....that is if you keep your location secret from him and don't contact him again..

You really need to distance yourself from A.... he has not proved himself to be good for you.... life is more important than hanging out with a Drunk Guy that just doesn't care.

If you need ask your brother to help you get to a women's shelter to talk to someone there..... and have him not say anything to A about it...... because this is your life... make a change for you and those kids .....

I will pray for you .... and the little ones.... as I know this is a tough situation.... but we all have to make changes in our life that we dislike....

But for today you have lots of friends here at SR.... that are willing to give so much advise.

Keep coming back.... this is a safe place for you to check in and post ....
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Everything you said about doing what I could for my kids made me realize that falling apart isn't doing anyone any good. I'm stronger than that. I feel much more grounded and focused than when I made the original post.

I decided against a women's shelter for several reasons, the main two being that here I have the support of family 24/7, and there's no danger of A showing up here. He knows he's in the wrong and cowers from confrontation when sober. He has not contacted me, despite my mild attempts to ask him if he intends to fulfill his previous obligations.

I did apply and get approved for TANF today so in a few days I will have a little bit of cash to put towards bills. So even though my car ran out of gas on the way home from the Dfs office, I'm looking at the glass half full at the moment.

My family has stepped into the hole he left me in and are doing everything they can to help me when I need them most. I watched my mom sacrifice and fight her way through life with 3 kids all on her own so independence and stability are very important to me. I'd been doing so well taking care of my first child by myself before, that when I got myself into a situation I couldn't handle I forgot that there are people out there who I can depend on and that needing help doesn't make me a bad mother. It just means that life won that round.

So to boil the update down: My outlook is better and progress has been made towards bettering my situation, but I still have a long road till I'm back on my feet.

Thank you all again, and I will definitely continue to use this site and thread to vent my frustrations and share my successes.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

what a blessing to have family willing to help you!!! you sound strong and determined and just proved that by asking for help, which always takes more courage than we think!!!

now, can you rest a little easier and give the belly a rub?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I started using SR when I was pregnant. It's such a scary time for your partner to skip off to Crazytown! I can tell you from experience, it's better to be a single parent than dealing with a wild partner around your kids. Just repeat that to yourself, believe in your capabilities, and pamper the heck out of yourself these next few weeks. Take a bath, lots of naps, something that smells good, etc.

Also? What if you looked into school instead of looking for a job? College classes are pretty compatible with young children.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

needing help doesn't make me a bad mother. It just means that life won that round.
Needing help and then asking for it makes you a great mother!
(oh, and life is on your side! your life that is. )

I found that once I opened up to the possibilities, they were all around.
I can be stubborn and I did not believe good things could happen, but they did.

Beth
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Definitely look into the resources available and Pelican's repost of Cynical s blog is spot on.
As a shelter worker myself who has been a homeless advocate for close to a decade, I would not recommend that you jump head first into the women's shelter option if you have a good relationship with your brother and his home is a safe environment for you and your babies.
It seems that no DV was involved meaning that you would not go to a battered woman shelter but to a mainstream one. Depending on the resources available, you might end up in a place with no privacy and with women some of whom are in active addiction, have serious mental health problems etc. Some shelters are great but in others, theft, drugs and violence are rampant.Also a lot of shelters (including family shelters) have very restrictive hours and conditions which might actually keep you at the bottom rather than help you move up and move on.
Last but not least, believe me I know about being broke and looking for a job while 9 months pregnant might not be ideal. Have you thought about taking a part time job from home so you can make a few bucks? This forum has tons of very legit opportunities:Work From Home - Work at Home Jobs, Recipes & Articles For Moms - WAHM.com
Take care.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I came back to check on you at this time...as i do care and send you lots of Hugs today...

I hope and pray that you are doing ok.... because most of us Women say we are ok and really are hiding behind a wall ...

Be strong ... know that you have friends here...always that care and will always give suggestions.

I found that SR is the best place to be for the support I need and the stories of so many that have come a long way..

Keep strong and make each day count for your kids..... you are a good person and will always be the best Mom you can for those two kids.

Don't let anyone cause trouble for you.... you don't need that type of person in your life.

Family support is the best thing... and glad you have it at this time...

Get extra help that is out there for you as being a single Mom is tough.... but there are people out there that will help you with money, food and so much more.... you have to reach out for it..
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Praying for you today that all is going well and you are doing what you need to keep your life going with your little one and preparing for the birth of the next one.

I know that you say all is ok and that you have family support.... But My thoughts are really with you at this time and I hope you still reach out to those that can give you the extra things you need as a single mom.....

Life can be tough trying to raise two little ones on your own.....but with all the resources out there now you can get food stamps and much more.... Please reach out and don't think you don't qualify... Just ask and reach out...

Hugs coming for you today.... know that we all care here at SR...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please reach out and don't think you don't qualify... Just ask and reach out...
Yes! And don't be ashamed that you need the help. This is what it's designed for.

xx