Notices

My boyfriend is suffering from various types of addiction.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My boyfriend is suffering from various types of addiction.

Hello,
So I am new to this site, I am probably a different case to others on this site. I am not writing about my addiction nor have I ever had an addiction. I am writing to get some insight on the life of an addict, or insight of someone in my position that has a loved one who is an addict. My boyfriend has been addicted to crack/cocaine for about 5 years now. I haven't been with him the whole time through his addiction, we've been together for a year now. I understand every addict has a story, and his began when his father committed suicide when he was 18 years old. He found his father laying on the ground, gun shot to his head. He took this very hard, which led him to constant drinking. A few years later, he developed his addiction to cocaine, after snorting cocaine for a year - he began cooking it. This has been a constant addiction since then. He's a very very smart man, very caring and would do anything for anyone. He has a career, and has a very good income. Has a house, a new vehicle, and lots of toys. Although it may seem like life is great, it's not.. His days consist of smoking minimum 3 grams of crack. Sometimes this lasts about 4 days, of non stop sleeping, not eating, and $1000 later.. We cant enjoy life or do things because of his addiction, I don't force him into getting help because I know forcing wont do anything. He needs to want the help on his own.. For the past few weeks, he's been getting into dilaudids. He will snort 60-70 mg in a day, and then at the end of the night switch back to crack, and then back to pills.. all within 24 hours which makes him very very sick. Work consists of him travelling and being away from home, he's in camp for 14 days at a time and 7 days home. The last few days have been the hardest... due to the camp being a dry camp (no drugs or alcohol) .. The withdrawals from the crack is a huge issue. He met someone who has Oxy 80's, he took 4 of them today.. personally, I dont think 320 mgs of painkillers for someone who has no pain is right.. I am constantly preparing myself for the worse. I see him getting very sick, or even worse dying.. if someone could please tell me their story and how theyve overcome this, or if they know someone in this situation.. please tell. I just need to know how someone else copes with this.. or if theres even a way. Thank you
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your boyfriend seeks help for his addiction.

You might check out AlAnon as a support for yourself because you have to take care of yourself. Also, we have two forums for Friends & Families on this board.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, ty for sharing ur story. My bf is the same,alcohol, crack,heroin,weed and psych meds are all part of his diet. Im not there atm,and now hes blaming me for his illnesses even tho they started long b4 we met. Hes convinced that things will only get better if Im there to "take care" of him. I disagree, I think he needs to learn and take care of himself...I would love and support him all I can, but Im not the quick fix cure he says hes wanting. Everytime I try to talk it through with him,he just gets angry and more often then not very nasty. If I knew what to do, believe me I already would have done it. I hope things improve for you both on this long road we call recovery.