Notices

3rd attempt at tapering.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd attempt at tapering.

Hello all,

Thanks for looking at my post. I have been reading this forum for a while without registering and decided after 2 failed attempts at tapering to quit, as safely as I can afford, I should probably register for some support and accountability. Thanks in advance!

Brief Alcohol History
I started drinking heavily in college in large volume but usually no more than 2 or 3 consecutive days. I also during this time quit for a period of ~6 months and experience no withdrawals.

After graduating I moved into a corporate job and started drinking socially during the week with friends or co-workers, and I also starting drinking by myself for the first time to self medicate for stress and anxiety caused by the job.

Fast forward to ~6 months ago, I quit my job and started drinking pretty much every day to deal with the associated stress. I went from ~2 four lokos a day up to 1 750ml bottle of 80 proof spirits and 1 four loko a day most days a week currently.

Attempting to Quit
After putting on 40 pounds, becoming quite reclusive from everyone except my girlfriend, being an ******* when I'm drunk and trying to hide my drinking from my girlfriend, I decided it was time to quit.

After reading about the possible withdrawal symptoms and having no insurance I decided tapering was my best bet. I have tried twice, but both times I came up with some excuse to drink more than I was supposed to based on the taper schedule. I think one of the main issues is that I've been hiding my drinking from everyone and thus didn't have anyone to make me accountable to drink only the amount specified by the taper.

3rd attempt at tapering. Starting today.
I am about to be on my 4th beer (1/hr) on my 3rd attempt at tapering. I am doing 10 today, then 8, 6, 4, 2, and hopefully 0. My plan is to check in, maybe in a reply to this thread or a new thread at the end of each successful day to increase my commitment and accountability. Thanks again for reading this and thanks to the sr community for give me a safe place to go where I feel comfortable sharing this.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-15-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck. Maybe tapering will work and I hope it does! Considering this is your 3rd attempt (thank you for sharing that btw) do you think a new method will work better? What about adding some additional recovery methods to the mix? Good luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((JC)) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Your situation sounds very similar to my own drinking habits.

I hope your taper works out! If you start to have withdrawal symptoms, don't be afraid to hit up a doctor. I finally had to suck it up and hit the ER on my last withdrawal.

Good luck and keep checking in, keep us posted.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Good luck. Maybe tapering will work and I hope it does! Considering this is your 3rd attempt (thank you for sharing that btw) do you think a new method will work better? What about adding some additional recovery methods to the mix? Good luck.
Thanks for your response, bigsombrero. I'm hoping that my 3rd attempt will be more successful with the added accountability of actually telling someone besides my self, you guys, that I'm doing it, and I know the chance of success given my track record looks bleak, but I figure I'm better off trying to quite then just continuing. Honestly if I had the means to, I would prefer to be in an inpatient rehab program, but with little money, no insurance, and no state sponsored programs I can find near me, tapering really looks like the only safe path for me right now. Please let me know if you have any other ideas that might help.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is much more easier to quit than to taper....Quitting will be difficult for few days then it is pretty smooth...Tapering is a daily battle and most alcoholics are not known for will power when it comes to alcohol.Best of Luck....
Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like AVRT approach...Thank you for posting ! Love you for posting !
Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, there's the gorilla in the room: AA. Ever tried it? I'm not a huge supporter but it did help me in the early goings. Gives you tools to use in every situation. Free of charge.

Also you seem to have money problems - no insurance, etc right? I am in a tight spot financially myself but its worth saving up the $160/month. Could you afford that?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is easier to just quit than it is to taper. Tapering prolongs the withdrawal period and it's perilous for alcoholics to try to taper. Hopefully this time will work for you. Be sure to head to the ER if you are concerned.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

stop the insanity and don't pick up that 1st drink!!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR JC812,

I agree with Big Sombrero about the big gorilla.

If you've never been to an AA meeting, and are able to express what you've posted to someone before, during (or after) the meeting, you may find it helpful.
....or life changing.

They're free too !

keep us posted on your taper, if that's the option.

I had an idea to taper from 3 handles a week, but could only manage slight tapers, along with a horrific day here, a day there .......two weeks before drawing a hard line in the sand.

If I'd known then , what I've learned here at SR about the problems with heavy detox, I'd have done it differently; ......medically.

The first 5-8 days were kinda brutal, but this site (and carrying myself down to a meeting) saved my *ss early on.

We know you can do this , .......you gotta find a way to know it; deep down.

Ambivalance just drug out the nightmare.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

I dont believe i can offer anything other than support based on the excellent information u have already received..lean in2 us cos we are here for you
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JC812 View Post
I have been reading this forum for a while without registering and decided after 2 failed attempts at tapering to quit, as safely as I can afford, I should probably register for some support and accountability.
Welcome to SR. You say you've been reading the forum for a while. See anyone post that they've successfully tapered?

I haven't.

If you have withdrawal concerns, see a doctor and detox under supervision.

While I may not agree with your method, I applaud your decision to quit.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you want to quit but please be careful.

Hospitals have financial aid programs that you can apply for & they have to take you. A fifth of 80 proof is a lot to taper down from safely. You could also see a dr for $100-$200 who could prescribe meds for you to taper with that make it a lot easier (both physically and mentally) and safer. The meds themselves are cheap.

I tried to taper down from 2 pints, didn't feel that bad surprisingly but did it too fast and once I got down to 1/2 pint I had a grand mal seizure. I did not see it coming nor would I have known that I even had one if someone else hadn't been there to call 911.

Please be careful but I wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I applaud your recognition and attempt to change your relationship with alcohol.
I would recommend thinking long and hard about any approach which recommends tapering off because dangers involved in detox.
All someone has to do to quit safely is get to a doctor - even an ER - and they will give you the medication and guidance to stop safely. That means stop - not taper off.
You don't have to have money - the hospital will find a way for you make it work financially.
If someone really wants to stop drinking there is absolutely no need to "taper off".
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

having no insurance I decided tapering was my best bet.
There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

To JC812...
My feeling is that "support and accountability" lies within...not that support is not very important......but it is a very personal thing that comes from "I DON"T" want to drink or "use" anymore...I AM DONE ! despite an urge...I AM DONE !
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

See a doctor for a proper detoxing. We usually can't control what we drink ourselves.

I wish you well!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sugar bear...I support what you say !
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

After the detox i just went through i suggest that you get medical advice and do it safely. The financial costs will be paid for in a few short weeks of not buying alcohol. Good on you for making the decision to confront the drinking