Notices

Trying to get sober

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to get sober

Hello

Trying to stay sober. 5 days with no booze.

Tough to stay on track though.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Tough to stay on track, I know. Tougher to go off track and try to get back on it. So stick with it.

Getting any support?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Those early days were hard for me, too. Just think of where that first drink will take you.
You don't have to worry about tomorrow, just stay in the day if you can. Soon, those days will add up and things will get so much better.
Distract yourself if you have to, do whatever it takes. You can do it.

Best to you.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yea, it's tough. Good job on 5 days. You got this.

Thanks for your service.

And welcome to the lifeboat.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MarineVet

D
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on 5 days!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I keep slipping up myself. To be 5 days is awesome, I'm glad you're here and I hope you keep coming back!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarineVet View Post
Hello

Congratulations on day 5
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family MarineVet. We're glad to have you here.

It is hard work, but it gets a little easier each day. My problem was that I'd begin to feel better and forget how horrible it was to be drinking every day, even though it almost killed me. Being here at SR I didn't feel alone anymore, so I stuck with it. It's so wonderful to be free.

5 days is fantastic. I hope you'll stay with us and keep posting. It takes the sting out of it to be in good company.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 5 days....I wanted to scream when I heard people say that it will be better....but it really does. Seek out the support; perhaps there are other vets like yourself going through the same issue. I found that it was conforting to find group of people who could understand and relate to the way I thought. Keep posting here or asking questions as well....this is a great resource.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello

Semper Fi MV MV I know you remember the saying of God, Country and Corps. I believe putting God first in your Sobriety will keep you on track. He is working for me, Day 58 here. You did Day 5, so you can do Day 6. If your realizing you can't handle the booze anymore, don't listen to the "addictive voice" in your head telling you, you can or you deserve to try. "It" the voice and booze changes the way we feel and think. God can and will put that voice to rest. All you have to do is ask and he will. God will also expect you to be Strong and of Outstanding Courage in doing some good work. My stubbornness would always get in the way. But, time and time again I would prove myself wrong. You can do this Brother, we all can do this. Never give up, Never give in...Stay Sober MarineVet
Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the support!

We are goin through a real tough time. I got home from Afghanistan in May last year. My wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after I got home....out of the blue.

She had surgery and radiation and is doing better, but she has to get checked every 3 months to make sure it is not coming back.

This and my alcoholism have all been tough on our marriage as we do not get along as we should, but I am committed to the marriage. Hope she is too.

Don't mean to sound selfish. I know my wife is going through hell. But she does not understand alcoholism. She views it as a lack of will power and a moral failing. So it gets tough.

But I am trying to hang in there.

Thanks for support.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

MarnieVet, hay great job 5 days, way to hang in there, i been there no easy feat. keep it up Bro. hay join the chat room and lots of helpful people there for support
Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you MarineVet. Keep it up we can do this!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support!

We are goin through a real tough time. I got home from Afghanistan in May last year. My wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after I got home....out of the blue.

She had surgery and radiation and is doing better, but she has to get checked every 3 months to make sure it is not coming back.

This and my alcoholism have all been tough on our marriage as we do not get along as we should, but I am committed to the marriage. Hope she is too.

Don't mean to sound selfish. I know my wife is going through hell. But she does not understand alcoholism. She views it as a lack of will power and a moral failing. So it gets tough.

But I am trying to hang in there.

Thanks for support.
Thanks for your Service MV I'm real sorry to hear about your wife. My prayers will be with both of you. Just think about you getting Sober and how the better you will be there for your wife. You are not only going to be more happy, your going to make your wife more happy. And that Hope will become H-O-P-E! I believe your Marine Wife is right in regards to lack of will power. I have learned that we live in (3) realms. The physical, the psychological and spiritual. Will power is in the psychological realm and is influenced by the physical. In other words will power can be influenced by physical or fleshly needs, such as booze. And don't get it wrong, "will power" is a good thing when used right. Like "3 miles no good, 4 miles getting better, 5 miles U here we go." Will Power is Outstanding when it comes to mental endurance. Will power does not exist in the spiritual realm. That is where God is at. If we all live a more spiritual life, God will help to put those physical needs to rest. Such as the booze...I know you can do this MV. I can tell you have INTEGRITY in all that's going on with you right now. Kick the booze out of your life MarineVet.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days!! The first days are the hardest but you will feel better & better each day. I'm sorry about your wife but glad she is doing better. Maybe in the future she could go to al anon to get a better understanding of your disease. Every day that you make it you are that much stronger and healthier, which is good for both of you.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I blew it yesterday. I got drunk. So now I am feeling like crap. But anyway, I will start over. Not drinking today.

Thanks again for support.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Marine

Stop feeling like crap, it doesn't do any good. Start over today and be strong tomorrow. You can do it!!!

Ken
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hey Marinevet!
Thx for your service & all you do. As an alki, I can undstd too that u're stressed & pressured so looking for relief in a substance is normal. However, drinking will just make u're life all the more harder. Do you have supp group near you or AA meetings? Recovery is a tuf road but you can't do it alone
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Marine I admire ur courage to admit u r struggling I bet that was hard as I am sure you have a lot of those ideas inside that say you should be able to conquer this. It's ok to admit weakness.

I believe when we raise the white flag we actually have victory. No more casualties. Keep comin in here, it's a great place and I also appreciate all you have sacrificed for my personal freedom.