Help, Divorce/Alimony question

Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help, Divorce/Alimony question

Quick summery, married 21 years, to an addict, (alcohol, drugs, and gambling)
He works I don't, haven't in yrs. I finally was able to move out (with the aid of his mother) my question is, I'm planning on getting a divorce, and was wondering if anyone knows if I can request alimony if I'm the one filing, and if he will be required to continue to pay for my health insurance. He has always supported me, I have terrible anxiety/depression. Funny thing, after I left, my anxiety/depression has been getting better, finally able to leave my home without panic attacks, huh, go figure. I'm not trying to take him for everything, I'm actually walking away from the family home and everything in it. I just want assistance until I can get on my feet. and with my health problems, I will never be able to pay for health insurance. any advice would be great thank you.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know what state you live in. Check the divorce laws in that state. I also was not working when we divorced. I was married then 27 years. The least I could have gotten was rehabilitative alimony. Judge took into consideration that it was a mutual decision, that I was not working at the time. I was awarded alimony till he turns 67, with a $500,000 life insurance policy.

Talk to an attorney please, also google divorce in your state.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also, in my opinion, (now that I went thru it), go for everything, then negotiate and take what you need. I didn't, I left without one stick of furniture.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes you need to check the divorce laws in your state. At the very least you should be able to get rehabilitative alimony for a certain period of time. Most medical plans do not allow for an ex spouse to remain on the plan. You could possible COBRA it but that is usually very expensive, it will all depend on what kind of plan he has.