Notices

Add Yet Another Benefit to My Sobriety.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Smile Add Yet Another Benefit to My Sobriety.

Beer has always been a reward for a hard day's labor. My father, who could make a 6-pack last 3 weeks in the fridge, would always treat himself to a cold one after a Saturday of mowing and cleaning out the garage. Whenever I do some manual labor my AV gets to chattering loudly, telling me we deserve a beer. Well, if I could drink A beer, I wouldn't be on this forum, right? So, I had to give it up.

Yesterday I busted some hump tearing up my old deck. I had to get it all out yesterday because I only had the dumpster for one more day. I went at it hard, and my body hurt when I was done. Based on experience I told my wife I didn't think I'd be able to move very well today. I would be too sore and stiff. I always am when I put my body through that much use. I expected pain down my right arm so severe I would not be able to hold a hammer again today.

Today, my lower back is a little stiff, that's it.

Why aren't I as sore as I expected?

Well, most of my mental data comparing intense labor to next-day soreness also involves my 'reward' beer (or 15) after the intense labor. I didn't get staggering drunk last night. Today my body hurts about 90% less than I expected it would. I'm no doctor, but I don't think I need to be to figure out the difference.

OK, lunch break is over, back to my hammer. There's a deck to build!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that alcohol exacerbates inflammation (i'm no doctor either but the 2nd X is)...plus you are in better physical shape since you stopped drinking
Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yeah, the body bounces back pretty well in general when you don't poison it.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's good stuff Nonsensical. Awful thing we do to ourselves sometimes and don't even realize it. Thanks for sharing your revelation!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Fandy. When I've gone through long periods of being sober, my body treats me so much better. We're working on that mutually beneficial relationship again :-)

You must be in pretty good shape to dismantle a deck and make multiple trips to the dumpster. Glad to see that sobriety is treating you well!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
You must be in pretty good shape to dismantle a deck and make multiple trips to the dumpster.
No, but I am stubborn as an old mule.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hear ya loud and clear. These days I sound like a late night infomercial: "I'm nearly 40 and I never thought I'd get my old body back, but I am!" Haha. Tip of the hat to that description of your old man's drinking habits. Sounds like my parents, never was much of an issue around my house growing up.

So what are you doing with the now empty deck space? Putting in a new deck or what?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
No, but I am stubborn as an old mule.
That could help you stay sober too ;-)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job on the demo !!

Pace yourself on that deck Non ,

...oh, are you replacing it with that new petroleum based, non-rotting, precolored, space aged decking out there ?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
So what are you doing with the now empty deck space? Putting in a new deck or what?
Yup. It's half face lift, half remodel, but the total size of the deck will be constant.

Originally Posted by Chuck48
That could help you stay sober too ;-)
Indeed. Although, it probably kept me believing I could get back to moderate drinking for far too long, also. So, it worked against me for a while, but it's working for me now.

Originally Posted by topspin
are you replacing it with that new petroleum based, non-rotting, precolored, space aged decking out there ?
Just plain ol' treated pine.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Here's the deck. The part that looks new (to the right) is new. Previously it was at the same height as the section where the Adirondack chairs are. I wanted it lower, closer to the pool deck. The part to the right, behind the dog, is the part I wrecked yesterday. I just took up the decking, leaving the framing. Today I am boxing that part up to be an even height with the new section.

You're all invited for a cookout and swim when I am done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
deck.JPG (85.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOW!!!! What a lovely dog!
The deck looks AMAZING! Good work nonsense. I am very impressed. Its nice to know that you are 90% less sore.
Here's to Diet Coke with bacon!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

No fair! Where is the snow?