Notices

Firing my tour guide

Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Firing my tour guide

I was chatting with a good friend on SR and lamenting about purpose in life. Figuring out what's next or why. That tripped my switch and I was off considering a few things.

What would life be like with a personal tour guide. Someone who has it all figured out. Can point me in this direction or that direction all the while explaining the highlights and pointing out the details of my life.

They could steer me away from drinking and show me more fun or interesting things to do.

They could show me the what ifs if I did take that first and tenth drink.

I would without a doubt fire my tour guide.

My thrills in life come from discovery. Not knowing my purpose makes me want to figure it out. I accept that addiction is part of that discovery.

It's very real. Staying sober shows me things and can make life very real. But it's up to me to get out there.

Would you fire your tour guide and hoof it alone. Peek around every corner?

Or would you gladly take the tour and follow the path closely?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

I get antsy on tours of a museum let alone the world. It's not getting there, it's the journey, etc etc. I'm enjoying the ride.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

If my journey always ends up in the same dark bit of town where i end up using then i'd stick with a tour guide . It dosn't, i don't .

Luckily i seem to be in just the right place for me, wherever that happens to be . I'm not a huge thrill seeker though, so i'd rather make some music or paint a painting , doing something creative adding to the richness of our collective experience .

Bestwishes, M
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
LOL you know I would ditch the tour guide, Weas.

I do, however, love to learn from others. When someone has an area of expertise born from a love of something, I am fascinated when listening or watching them. Like the potter who demonstrates throwing clay on the wheel. Each week I watch her. It's so beautiful, like watching someone dance. Or my sister when she instructs her yoga students. Her voice is calm, but her eyes are lit up. A friend of mine's husband fabricates custom motorcycle parts. I don't even understand half of what he is talking about, but his enthusiasm is contagious. It makes me want to learn to weld.

So, I would have no use for a tour guide, but I couldn't do without fellow travelers.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering

It may sound a bit cheesy but Jesus is my tour guide. I know I'm OK when I follow Him, and I know there's danger when I don't.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I've been married for 29 of my 51 years, and have had two excellent tour guides. Yes, there are times I wanted to fire them and even times when I would jump off the tour bus and walk alone. But I'm happy to report that for the last five moths, things have been rosy.

Why would anyone jump off a guided tour of Heaven? They took me to places I never would have been and we did things that I never could have done on my own. Yet couples break up all the time, this forum is littered with shattered relationships.

Maybe we should blame it on the bus driver or the countryside?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alkie

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Would you fire your tour guide and hoof it alone. Peek around every corner?

Or would you gladly take the tour and follow the path closely?
If I had a tour guide, I'd probably rob him and leave him in the desert.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

A tour guide would be wasted on me. I wouldn't listen anyway. I'd see something shiny and wander off.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In the beginning I had bad tour guides. I threw out the baby with the bathwater and went totally on my own. I made about 100 bad choices and 2 good choices. Then I made some more bad choices. Now I have reliable tour guides and I stick pretty close to the path. When i veer too far off, I see the danger and folly and get back on. It's a little more boring, but boring is better than burnt. Besides, quiet is full of opportunities. It's only boring for those without imagination.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Fascinating post Weasel I was my own tour guide for a while but, unfortunately, I was a bit short on training and experience. My tour went to all sorts of seedy places, laughing academies, to the wrong side of my family and friends, not to mention the law, ill health, hallucinations, delusions. What I was seeking in my tour was essentially the satisfaction of my base instincts, which seemed to bring me into conflict with almost everyone who crossed my path. It was the most boring and lonely tour you could imagine.

Then I quit and appointed a new tour guide. Now the tour has taken a different turn, revealing a wonderful world full of interesting people, amazing experiences, fulfillment and satisfaction. Life is never dull and, although it has its tragedies, my guide has taught me how to handle these too. I suppose I follow a path of sorts, but it's not too demanding. I seem to be allowed a fair margin for error.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good one Weas. I've been a wandering spirit all my life - so I actually needed to listen to a tour guide for a while to help me get back on track. Today I'm back to leading my own life. This time though I'm at least going to bring a map, so if I take a wrong turn and get lost, I'll be able to find my way out.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I dont know. Do I get to escape from the tour guide for awhile? I mean, its not the whole time right? Could i take the tour part of the day and then check back?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The spectrum of answers is awesome!

So many things you said I can relate.

Tomorrow I want to be the tour guide for an addict who just started. Maybe come to SR and help out just a little.

Then the are days I am hear fishing for a guide.

Heading to bed... Early evening. Watch tv.

Take care.

Ken