Notices

1st AA Meeting

Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 1st AA Meeting

Hi, All,

I will be attending my 1st AA Meeting tomorrow night and just wanted to know what to expect. I am extremely reluctant and nervous but I need to at least try it out to see if it's for me.

This is not court ordered or anything like that, I am doing this for my own good. I have been drinking to numb my pain of a miserable marriage with a selfish and mentally/verbally abusive man and I have finally had enough. First things first, I need to get sober. Any help/advice would be apreciated.

Also, any suggestions for at home detox? I believe I may be physically dependant as well.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

see a doctor for a proper detox.

expect to sit in a room with other recovering alcoholics and try to listen.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WELCOME. Quite a few years ago I was hurting bad and went to AA and heard what I didn't want too and they said KEEP COMING so I did, feeling guilty I didn't stop drinking for awhile. When the internal Pain got so bad I surrounded and started following suggestions/directions against my so called judgment. It started by not picking up the FIRST drink, go to a lot of meetings and LISTEN, ask someone to help you, not be your boy/girl friend, identify don't compare with people, work on yourself, keep coming even if you don't want to. It is a simple program perhaps not easy for some. But we do get better if we want to. Many of us gather the closest and dearest friends at meetings as we understand each other. BE WELL
Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Yup

I've been to many different meetings and they're all different.
The thing to do is go to many and find the ones you're comfortable sitting in.
Some I've gone to and didn't like and didn't go back.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the meeting they will start with reading some rules and "steps", then ask if there are any newcomers or first timers. You may introduce yourself or you don't have to. I find it liberating to introduce yourself - finally saying those words "I'm an alcoholic" therapeutic. There will be a "lead speaker", a man or woman who will stand up and speak to the group and tell their story. The topic will usually center on one of the "steps". Then, often others are invited to share their thoughts on this topic also. As a newcomer you will not be expected to share, just listen. Then there will probably be some other formalities - my group is huge and they announce local events, bake sales, community events, etc "See Janet after the meeting if you want to sign up" etc. Finally they will close with a group prayer, it's called the "serenity prayer". Everyone will probably hold hands and say it in unison, google it so you will at least have an idea of what people are saying, it takes like 10 seconds. Then it's over, and you can chat with folks, some people might ask for your number. Then go home.

Sound do-able?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the meeting goes well for you.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Look for the 12 Steps, but try to "get" the fist half of Step 1.

You will see the words "powerless over alcohol". The "get" part is, what exactly is powerless.....over alcohol...., ?
Can you stop drinking after the first drink, or, stop the craving for more after the first drink?
And that effect when alcohol enters your body, that change in character. Can you stop that and remain normal?
Are you obsessed to try and remain like normal drinkers ? But things always or most of the time goes all wrong.

The Hope is, you may identify with others who tell their story about their drinking when they drank and the only way is to abstain.
It's easier to accept abstinence than to try to stop the craving for more after the first drink, if drinking causes problems.

If the first meeting does not cut it for you, go to more meetings.

When you know that you are alcoholic, then find a meeting that you are comfortable with and join that group.
If you don't think you are alcoholic, at least get to know why.
In other words, ultimately only you will know how you feel when you drink and that's where the honesty part comes in, honest with yourself.

All the best for you at your first AA meeting.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The key word here is "willing." Are you willing to get sober? Are you willing to listen to what people "suggest" you do?

If you go to an AA meeting it will be one hour where you are not drinking. Then perhaps that hour will lead into another hour of not drinking . . . and so on.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't be nervous.. As Big Som mentioned they will ask If there's any newcomers to the meeting and you can introduce yourself.. You can share or you don't have to ever to say a word until your comfortable. Just know you are welcome.. They have a saying, "the most important people in the room are newcomers!" They're just good folks that want to help.. Go for it!! It will be the best hour of your day! If you introduce yourself don't be alarmed after the meeting several people will approach you and introduce themselves and give you a newcomers packet with meeting schedules and some phone numbers.. They gave me a big book my first meeting.. The reason the old timers keep coming back is because they were given help at one time and they want to give back and help you and me.. It's an amazing fellowship!! Hope you attend.. If you don't care for that group try another one till you find one you click with.. PM me if I can help in any way.. Please let us know how it went!!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here's some great audio clips to listen to.. Check out the history of AA.. I found it very helpful...

Downloads & mp3's from silkworth.net
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Do not be nevous. You just walk in and choose a seat. And they will ask you if there is anyone new, you only have to speak up if YOU want to. "hi my name is ____ and i think i may be an alcoholic" and then you dont have to say another word at all unless you would like to.

As said above, just listen to the others for a while. The first few meetings can be a little scary, but eventually you will find yourself jumping right into things.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I miss going to meetings. I used to get a huge rush of well being when listening to a main share, and finding myself nodding in total agreement and empathy to the speaker. There were a few groups that I did not like, so 'shop around' and find the meetings within which you feel comfortable. Listen for the similarities and not the differences. And enjoy your first meeting!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Altho I'm an Alanon goer rather than AA, I just wanted to echo those who are saying to try a number of different meetings. In my experience, they all have their own flavor--some are larger, some are quite small, some may be all or mostly one gender, others may be more evenly distributed men/women-wise. Some may focus specifically on readings from a specific book while others may rotate between study of steps, topics, and "open" meetings w/a speaker(s). You'll almost certainly find some where you feel the most comfortable and will want to return to those regularly.

Again, just my experience--I'm pretty new, only a few months, but I've attended probably 8-10 different meetings and found 4 of them to be "keepers" that I will go to regularly, usually 3 a week. There are many more in my area, and as my schedule permits, I would like to attend others so I always have a ready list of "safe places" to go when things threaten to get out of hand. Just knowing I can walk into any of those meetings and find people who understand and will accept me and care about me is so comforting, makes it so much easier to get thru the day and keep on an even keel!

I wish you all the best as you move ahead.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Nan!

Please let us know how it went!

SoberRecovery is an important part of our plan, and for me it helped answer a lot of the questions I had about AA. You can search and find a thread here for just about any topic, and many of those threads are active in the past few days.

CF