Notices

Withdrawl

Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl

Hello all.

I have been drinking about 6-7 16 oz beers almost every night for about six months now. To be completely honest I guess I have lost track of the time I have been drinking.

Anyways I felt like I was keeping it under control because I wasn't out and doing anything stupid, but then I noticed I had to keep drinking more and more and I have gained so much weight that I decided I needed to stop.

I have been sober for 48 hours... It hasn't been fun and reading horror stories are not helping me. I am getting scared I am going to go into seizures.

Symptoms so far have been being shaky on the inside, heart palpitations, feeling very agitated over little things or when anyone even speaks to me, and I had a really rough time sleeping last night....just wanted to hop out of my own skin because it felt like I was having a constant anxiety attack that wouldn't go away

My hands are not shaking right now, but I feel really shaky on the inside and nervous. After reading stuff on the internet I am getting scared I could go into seizures and die.
I don't know what I am really looking for someone to say other than maybe since I am not shaking that I shouldn't have seizures....?
I wonder if others have quit cold turkey without medical assistance and were okay.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Lilme!

Nobody here can say if your condition is serious or not.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Unfortunately, we cannot diagnose you or give medical advice here. But your best bet is to go to the ER if you're concerned. Do you have someone who can stay with you and watch you? Detox is rough on the body and its best not to take chances. Please take care of yourself.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After the withdrawal I went thru all I can say it is a dangerous thing.
And if you think you have any signs of withdrawal please go to the doctor and be honest for once tell him everything and he can help.

I did the cold turkey thing many times probably thinking in my head that oh last time was okay but it gets worse ach time.

The last ti e was seizures, but you don't need to go thru that, go get help
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really can't do that tonight. I have my 19 year old son here with me who said he is going to be checking on me every hour because he hardly sleeps at night. I was just hoping that after 48 hours the chance of having seizure was over, especially since I am not shaking.

Thanks though.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Lilme View Post
I really can't do that tonight. I have my 19 year old son here with me who said he is going to be checking on me every hour because he hardly sleeps at night. I was just hoping that after 48 hours the chance of having seizure was over, especially since I am not shaking.

Thanks though.
Glad you have someone to help, but do get to the hospital if you need it. Initial withdrawal can peak anytime in the first 2-5 days, so the worst may have passed, or still be yet to come. Make sure your son knows how you feel in case he has to call or take you in
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my worst part of the withdrawl was at day 4.
i thought i could ride it out but ended up in the hospital.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilme View Post

Thanks though.
You'll probably be fine . . . But why risk it, just go see a Doctor. You'll find they're pleasantly helpful people, who've seen it all and don't judge.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing about withdrawals is that they are unpredictable.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yea go see your doctor or go to the hospital. When you shiver inside your entire bloodstream is being adjusted to the new sobriety.

Its kind of a good thing and a bad thing.

I had a seizure - actually 5 within an hour. Not fun. I am not going to give any personal medical advice but I was "told" a few times, you are not at risk of a seizure after 70-80 hours. Do not hold me to that and go see your doctor. Your Dr. will give you anti seizure meds. There are a bunch he can put you on. Try to stay away from the PAMS. If you have a good Dr. (and he knows your an addict) he will not put you on PAMS.
Withdrawling is extremely uncomfortable. I know this. But Dr's have degrees in making you feel better so go see him/her.

Good Luck
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is PAMS?