Notices

Baaaaad Sugar Addiction

Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baaaaad Sugar Addiction

I am really struggling with this. Its like I have no control. I ate 6 cupcakes today. Six.
Here is a post I wrote on a PAWS website. Pretty much sums it up. I replaced alcohol with sugar and it sucks

Hello!
Very good reading. I have a serious, serious problem with sugar addiction(like alot of people) but I am clueless as to how to fix it. I honestly think quitting alcohol would be easier than attempting to quit sugar.(ive been sober 2 months)
It is so bad. It’s like I go into this shady foggy place when I crave sugar and I will scarf/swallow down whatever I can find to get my fix.
I quit buying the “really” bad stuff, and started to buy hard candy. Well now I just eat like 10 pieces in a sitting.
And this is really embarassing, but if I dont have any candy in the house I will take spoonfuls of plain sugar or brown sugar. Or I will just add milk to powdered sugar and eat the frosting by the bowl.
I feel so helpless. Ive had this sugar issue forEVER. I was obsessed with candy when I was little, and when I was alone (starting at age 10) I would steal and stash bowls of white sugar in my room and secretly eat them. Surely this cant be normal. And now I think it is contributing(if not causing) my severe moodswings and irritability. I dont have a clue how to stop. How am I supposed to stop when it is so easily accessible?? I feel like I need to be hypnotized!?!?
ANY advice would be wonderful!
Thank You

Seriously WHO EATS SPOONFULS OF PLAIN SUGAR??? Me thats who

I would love to hear other peoples similar issues with this.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Don't feel bad when I got to 3 months I was eating everything and anything. I wouldn't have one piece of cheese cake but 3, ice cream sandwiches, etc. And this is from someone who isn't much into sweets! I basically went on a pig fest! I have tapered down and I have started eating better and walking again.

You aren't the only one to do this. The stuff I drank was very high in sugar so I'm guess I shouldn't be surprised my body wanted it!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi ArcticSA, I, too, have been craving sweets nonstop and I never had a sweettooth. The other night night I ate so many Oreo cookies I made myself sick to my stomach. I guess this is normal, but I hope it passes soon. I only have 8 days, but felt like I was starting to lose a pound or two, but now it feels like my clothes are just getting tighter, ugh! My husbands BD is this week and I am having a special cake made for him, but am afraid I will eat the whole thing?!! I don't want fruit or yogurt or any of the healthy sweets, just the bad stuff - cookies, chocolate, ice cream, cake, you name it. Just wanted you to know you are not alone
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As a child, I would eat sugar by the spoonful straight from the canister! My dream kitchen would be filled with snickers bars!

As I matured and moved onto healthy eating, I rarely ate sugar. Funny, I was on vacation with my mom and sister a couple of years ago and was annoyed with them for wanting to visit every chocolate store that we passed. ANNOYED!!! My mom knew I had a drinking problem and told me that my father never craved sweets when he was drinking, only when abstinent. Okay, me today, I ate six exquisite Italian chocolates, two coconut popsicles and handfuls of trail mix, mainly for the chocolate covered gogi berries! Fortunately, it isn’t every day but this is so unlike me!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was thinking this morning, that I should post about my massive sugar consumption. I am no doubt a sugar addict. I tend to eat sugar at night. I have a healthy diet, so I justify this sugar addiction. I am a very active person and this is also another justification. I figure i will tackle this sugar addiction slowly. I am taking it one day at a time. So, tonight i will not eat my beloved Skittles. No skittles for me. My husband made brownies........I will try to refrain them. Wish me luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

try hard candies
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I went from rarely eating sweets to having to have them after I quit. I hate it. Bad for my teeth, replacing one addiction for another, sugar is really bad for your health,etc.etc. In the beginning it was okay because anything was better than drinking. I feel like now, at about 9 months this needs to stop asap. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you quit drinking, smoking, and eating sweets, and you don't have money, what do you use to reward yourself when you need one? What do you do with the feeling that there's nothing left? I feel like I'm erasing myself in this quest to get healthier.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This one's for you, Freefall: Take a container of vanilla yogurt and whip with some low fat Cool Whip (50/50), arrange mixed berries in a dessert bowl, top with yogurt mixture, freeze for 20 minutes. While this sets, run a hot bath with aromatic bath salts, light a candle, play some soft music, dim the lights and enjoy!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Giving up too much coffee with to much sugar is next for me. Read one article that says sugar is the most addicting substance in the world. Go figure.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was warned about this by my therapist. Supposedly it has something to do with the sudden drop in carbs/sugars in the alcohol.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
I was warned about this by my therapist. Supposedly it has something to do with the sudden drop in carbs/sugars in the alcohol.
I was going to touch base on that. The words escaped me though.....Thanks Clearlight!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
I went from rarely eating sweets to having to have them after I quit. I hate it. Bad for my teeth, replacing one addiction for another, sugar is really bad for your health,etc.etc. In the beginning it was okay because anything was better than drinking. I feel like now, at about 9 months this needs to stop asap. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you quit drinking, smoking, and eating sweets, and you don't have money, what do you use to reward yourself when you need one? What do you do with the feeling that there's nothing left? I feel like I'm erasing myself in this quest to get healthier.
Exactly. The reward used to be alcohol or nicotine, and now its sweets or a snack, if I get rid of that, what will be left?? I seriously wish Marijuana was legal. That would be my nightly reward!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I was thinking this morning, that I should post about my massive sugar consumption. I am no doubt a sugar addict. I tend to eat sugar at night. I have a healthy diet, so I justify this sugar addiction. I am a very active person and this is also another justification. I figure i will tackle this sugar addiction slowly. I am taking it one day at a time. So, tonight i will not eat my beloved Skittles. No skittles for me. My husband made brownies........I will try to refrain them. Wish me luck.
My husband is the one who bakes, and I tell him nooooo, but he made cupcakes last night and I scarfed 6 or more? I lost count.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I experienced the same in my early sobriety. I am at almost 5 months and I can report that the sugar cravings have slowed down as I believe that my body has become more normalized without alcohol. Ice cream was my downfall. I switched to frozen yogurt. When I do crave sugar now at least I can give more thought to it rather then just chowing down whatever I get my hands on. I have gained a few pounds and am working on my self-image and telling myself that it is better to be sober!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Every time I see my therapist he is like, "make sure you eat a lot of sugar, so you don't crave the booze!" I *never* have a sweet tooth drinking, but as soon as I get sober I am a fiend as well. I have been eating WAY too much ice cream, especially because it's all mixed up with "rewarding" myself for staying sober in addition to the physical craving for the immense amounts of sugar in beer and cheap red wine, which was the last thing I was really putting away before quitting. I love the frozen yogurt idea from Odelle...that seems like a good way to ramp things down without going insane with cravings. It's pretty incredible the number we do on our bodies with all of this crap, isn't it....???
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I would not call mine a sugar addiction, but I have DEFINITELY picked up more candy bars, cupcakes, and sweets since getting sober from alcohol 16 months ago. I have recently started cutting back drasitcally on all of those, but I have to allow myself a treat once in a while or I will just go right back to binging sweets.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mine is cotton candy. Just love that stuff. Almost 8 months sober and still eat it. I try not to sweat it and exercise when I can to balance it out. People told me it could happen. My fellows tell me that it passes over time. Now just to find a good source for cotton candy. Not so available in Wisconsin when it is cold. Might have to go to the black market!!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yea you have nothing to worry about. Alcohol has a huge sugar content and you need to suppress it. I was eating 3 chocolate bars plus a bag of cookies a day.
I work out 4 times a week and my trainer was like "why are you not losing any weight" ?
I lost a huge amount of weight when I was drinking, because I was not eating. Just drinking. Lunch beer, dinner beer. Breakfast. didnt drink . lol
Old 04-15-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2153 View Post
Mine is cotton candy. Just love that stuff. Almost 8 months sober and still eat it. I try not to sweat it and exercise when I can to balance it out. People told me it could happen. My fellows tell me that it passes over time. Now just to find a good source for cotton candy. Not so available in Wisconsin when it is cold. Might have to go to the black market!!
HAHA!!! Oh great!!! Now I want cotton candy! The only place I know of around here in smalltown WI is the video store! hmmmm....
Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2153 View Post
Bath Bed and Beyond have/had cotton making machines. Just little ones!