OT--Fashion Emergency!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OT--Fashion Emergency!

So yesterday I had my regular horseback riding lesson, and a friend took me out for my first-ever motorcycle ride (his bike was too big to let me try to learn on it, and I'm still on the waiting list to make up my missed motorcycle rider's class). And I wound up spending three hours in the Emergency Room--after falling down while trying on SHOES.

I was in the store, saw they had a great sale on sandals, and thinking I could use some new ones for my trips that are coming up, I was trying on a sandal. I took a few steps, the heel tipped, and next thing you know I'm sprawled out all over the aisle. i landed hard on my right hand (and also hit my cheek hard on the carpet--fortunately no noticeable bruise).

I've never been one to run out to the doctor, but after an hour or so with my hand feeling weak and being unable to grip things, I figured if something was broken I better deal with it so my trips aren't messed up. After X-rays, it appears nothing was broken, just a bad sprain. I got a splint to wear for a few days, and I'm hoping it heals quickly.

I'm hoping the stiffness and soreness passes soon--got a lot of trips for work coming up, AND a planned vacation. It's a relief that nothing is broken--apparently the bone density is holding up, so far.

So as long as I spend as much time on vacation as possible riding large animals or two-wheeled motorized vehicles, I should be OK. I just need to stay away from shopping.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had no idea shoe shopping could be so dangerous! Well, for me, it's dangerous to my bank account, but that's another story.

Seriously though, I'm glad you're okay and I hope you heal quickly & feel better soon.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, ((Lexie)) - I thought I was the only one stuff like that happened to! Glad it wasn't a break, but sprains hurt too.

No shopping for YOU for a while!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Sorry to hear about the *face plant* in the shoe section!

Sending wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is the message "Live your life without worrying about footwear?" I love it!

I'm glad your hand is okay. I'm sure it will feel better soon.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Sorry to hear about the *face plant* in the shoe section!

Sending wishes for a speedy recovery!
Yeah, you would think getting sober would prevent this sort of thing from happening.

The real mistake was trying to walk on one sandal (which didn't have that much of a heel), and a paddock boot (which I wore for the motorcycle ride) on the other. I was too damn lazy to wrestle the other boot and sock off so I could try them on the right way. Even so, I stood once more on the sandal to test what went wrong, and they were simply WAY too "tippy"--I have to be very careful about what shoes I buy. At least I have given up gum-chewing while trying to walk.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

:rotfxko Weeell, Lexie. One could have expected this from ME--being from West Virginia, and not having much experience wearing shoes an' all----But, certainly not from someone from NEW JERSEY!!!

dandylion
Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
:rotfxko Weeell, Lexie. One could have expected this from ME--being from West Virginia, and not having much experience wearing shoes an' all----But, certainly not from someone from NEW JERSEY!!!

dandylion
LOL! Lexie, I do hope you heal quickly. You know, I love shoes, boots, sandals, etc but the older I get the harder it is to wear heels. Of course, wearing one high shoe and one low boot was really what caused your imbalance so I think you should go back to the store and get those dangerous sandals after all!!! Or, did you actually buy them anyway?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lexie, I am laughing, but only because I can relate to stuff like this! I, too, like to do activities where one can get hurt (going snowmobiling this afternoon!) and yet my injuries seem to happen with the most mundane, innocuous stuff, like walking the dogs and tearing the tendons in my foot, or lifting my friend's 3 year old onto the toilet and rupturing a disc in my back, or my tennis elbow from painting and texturing walls all summer...never a great injury story to tell!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
LOL! Lexie, I do hope you heal quickly. You know, I love shoes, boots, sandals, etc but the older I get the harder it is to wear heels. Of course, wearing one high shoe and one low boot was really what caused your imbalance so I think you should go back to the store and get those dangerous sandals after all!!! Or, did you actually buy them anyway?
It wasn't the height of the heel--they were not much higher than the boot--rather, they were thong-type sandals with nice soft cushiony soles, but the heel they did have was such that if your foot slid a bit to one side or the other (since they were open in the back with no straps), the whole shoe tipped to the side.

I'll try to get back on the horse once my injuries have healed. It wouldn't do to develop a shopping phobia!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Whichis more dangerous, horse, motorcycle or sandals? I would have lost money on a bet. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Towards the end of last year I was tucking a blanket into the back of my couch, caught my finger the wrong way & broke the tendons. Ended up in finger splint for 4 months!
So you see couches are also dangerous lol.
Funny thing was the finger that was in an upright splint was my middle finger!!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Rosiepetal View Post
Towards the end of last year I was tucking a blanket into the back of my couch, caught my finger the wrong way & broke the tendons. Ended up in finger splint for 4 months!
So you see couches are also dangerous lol.
Funny thing was the finger that was in an upright splint was my middle finger!!
LOL, too funny! When my first boyfriend was a freshman at the Air Force Academy, one of the first nights he and his buddies were allowed to let loose was Halloween. They made their own costumes and he made a Superman outfit by drawing the big "S" on a tee shirt, with a laundry bag tied to his neck for a cape. They were having a shaving-cream fight and someone slammed the door on that finger, putting a deep gash in it. He had to go to the ER holding that finger up in the air to slow the bleeding. Months later, my dad went to a dinner where the speaker was chief of the ER at the Academy's hospital, who told the story about this cadet who came into the ER dressed like Superman, waving his middle finger in the air. I think my dad pretended he didn't have a daughter who was dating....
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the whole shoe tipped to the side.

this hurt when i read it. aieeeee. i did something similar when running (way back in my Army days LOL) sprained it pretty dang good. but my whole foot hyper flexed that way and it did not get treated. eeeeeeek.

I know about those soft cushiony thongs, so lovely. sigh........

From now on, I am just going to admire my new shoes while sitting. Those days of twirling down the shoe aisle are gone.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lexie... Keep the rubber side down on that bike! Have fun too! I love riding the bike with AH when he isn't drinking. I didn't get to ride much last year though!

I once recieved 10 stiches and a nearly amputated finger doing dishes several years ago! I had my hand in a glass and it busted and I twisted my hand around it. Oh my.... my skin was so soft because it was the last glass, it cut me like a warm knife to butter.

Then I damn near broke my ankle in my riding boots. I was sitting at the table, got up, took a step and blew my ankle out completely! I was in one of those big ortho boots for 12 weeks and needed PT. The dr told me I should have broken it, it would have felt a lot better! That ankle is very weak for me and I have to be careful because it will go out at any given moment. If the dog runs into me (Rottweiler) she can make it hurt like something out of a horror movie! AUGH
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, the RUBBER side goes down? I always have trouble with directions--laying sod does not work out for me, either.

I ran into the guy tonight at my home group meeting who was in the motorcycle class I overslept for. He thought I should have come late, anyway, he said a few other people were late. I dunno, I felt too embarrassed after the lecture we got about NOT BEING LATE. I'll get riding one of these days. There are SOO many riders in my AA groups--women, too. I think it would be a nice new activity. IF I can remember that rubber thingy.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ice for the bruises and sore muscles…for the ego, it seems you have already found the perfect remedy- lots of smiles and a GREAT story!

I wish you the quickest healing LC.

Cheers,
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank goodness nothing is broken. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
And thank you for sharing your story. Next time I go shoe shopping I will think of you!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL,

Since I work from home, I communicate with my coworkers via instant messaging during the day. I set my "status" today to ask people to audio-chat me or call me because I had hurt my hand and my typing was slow. We had our normal Monday morning staff meeting via conference call today, and when it was my turn, I said that people should audio or call me because I hurt my hand. I told them how I had ridden a horse and a motorcycle that day, but got hurt falling off a pair of shoes.

My boss went, "Eeek! You were PARACHUTING??!!!" I said, "NO. I fell off a PAIR OF SHOES, not PARACHUTE!"

She was hugely relieved. I have several trips coming up for work (lol, now I'm thinking of "trip" jokes), and she was thinking they were going to have to send someone to talk sense into me before I killed myself and they had to find someone else to go.

Um, I'm sure they would miss me, too, if the chute didn't open...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Parachute! LOL

Lexiecat is death from above!
After her last trip Lexie, the shoe daredevil says,
"wait for high heels! I have some BIG plans!"

This tickled me. LOL

Beth