Notices

Another Sunday Morning

Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Sunday Morning

Hello..

Well I'm here again on a Sunday morning feeling awful and I know this has to stop. I am a typical 'functioning alcoholic' in that to the outside world I am 'normal' but every evening I drink and its mainly through boredom and now addiction. I need to find something else to do to occupy myself and, because I have children and very little money, going out isn't an option.

Sorry to witter on, but this is the first message board I've ever posted on and I'm not sure what to say.

Help and support would be good and any ideas please, I want to wake up feeling alive and happy not sick and depressed

Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and glad you posted. Sorry you are having a rough time. Please keep reading and posting. You are not alone. We get it.
There is hope. We can get better. Who knows? This may be the best Sunday of your life.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, I am looking through the forums now, it's all quite complicated!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura14 View Post
Hello..
Hello! And welcome to the best (and potentially life saving) resource you can find!!

Well I'm here again on a Sunday morning feeling awful and I know this has to stop. I am a typical 'functioning alcoholic' in that to the outside world I am 'normal' but every evening I drink and its mainly through boredom and now addiction. I need to find something else to do to occupy myself and, because I have children and very little money, going out isn't an option.
Hmmm! Ya know, if you quit drinking, not only will you feel better but you'll have MONEY to spend on you and the kids!

Help and support would be good and any ideas please, I want to wake up feeling alive and happy not sick and depressed
Ok, I admit that I have come off brash and perhaps this is not the way to greet a new comer, but seriously, you have to make a choice! There is only one answer to this - stop drinking!

This board has many members with stories that you can read and excellent resources that you can learn more about your addiction. You already know what the problem is, will you choose to fix it?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does seem likea lotta first. Newcomer forum is good and typically gets a lot of responses although this happens to be a slow time of day.
I would suggest just browsing topics and read any that look interesting. I trust that you will find many other stories and comments that sound all too familiar.
There are also some very good folks here with lots of experience, success and wisdom. Lots of different approaches, programs, etc too so hopefully you can find something that clicks for you. In my case, this site has been very helpful to me and to my recovery. I hope you also find it helpful.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can you tell me what time zone this message board is on, because where I am it's 09.00am but the time on the messages is different. Adds to my confusion. Lol
Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure. It is 3:00am in central standard time of the US. What am I doing up so late.!!
Site has people from all over the world so there always seems to be someone here. Sometimes are busier than others though. Now is SLOW
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Laura and welcome to SR x

I'm not far from London. People post from all over the world here and there's always someone logged on. I think this is 'sleeping time' for our American cousins, so yes it's a little slower.

Yes, I remember those horrid Sunday morning feelings. It's good that you want to make changes. As has been said, read around other people's posts, find out what is working for them.

There's a class of April thread for anyone to join who is giving up this month. I would post you a link but I've no idea how to do that! It's in the newcomers section though.

Good luck on your journey Laura. Keep reading and posting x
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jeni

Thanks for replying.. I'll try and find the thread later as the kids are waking up and require feeding so i must dash. I'm feeling very positive about this now 😀😀😀
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you, ask for help when you need it, we're all here for you xx
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You've definitely done the right thing. You've recognized there is a problem, and you have put in an action to address it. Recovery is all about action. Alcoholism never sleeps, never gets tired and never goes away. Therefore, you have to continue to put in actions to arrest it. The good news is that you never have to feel this way again. Sure, you'll fell many other things, not all of them good, but action will always overcome them.

I am responsible for my recovery, no one else. I have to always recognize that I am suffering from a particular malady which wishes to do me great harm. And, if I take my foot off the peddle, it'll kill me. If you are an alcoholic of my sort you must accept without any reservations that you are 'powerless' over alcohol. When you drink, you will find it difficult/impossible to drink normally. Plus, despite the threat of loosing everything, your alcoholic mind will convince you that you can have a couple... just to relax. Don't listen to your alcoholic mind...ever.

Tonight, when you feel like a drink log onto here and share that fact. The very act of sharing it will lessen the cravings. It will be a battle, because you alcoholic mind will be telling you a bunch of lies, or giving you a load of excuses not to log on. Do not listen to it. It wants you to drink. You do not want to drink. But it wants it.

Never get out of the boat, now that you have stepped into it.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Shaun that's actually really helpful, and it's the cravings that are the worst thing. I did try so hard on Friday but caved in at about 8pm. There is no alcohol in the house, and there won't be any bought today. I am guessing one day at a time is the best policy rather panicking and thinking too far ahead?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning Laura,

I'm Adam, a recovering alkie on the north Norfolk coast.

Here's a thought. If you don't drink today it will be the start of a wonderful life. No regrets, no guilt, no pain

Why not check out a local AA meeting ? All you have to have is a desire to stop drinking

All the best
Ads
Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
now's the time

Definitely! (Not all of the Americans are sleeping, even when they -- I -- should be).

Try to just focus on one day at a time. I'm two month in and that's still all I can manage. When I think about The Future, I immediately start thinking about holidays and vacations and weddings and blah blah blah maybe I can moderate?

In the long term I convince myself that I can have some nice wine just every once in a while on a special occasion. But in the short term, I know full well that I can't have a drink today or I might not stop till next year. So I just promise myself that I'll deal with the long term when I get to it... it's advice that I picked up here on SR and it's really made all the difference.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura14 View Post
Can you tell me what time zone this message board is on, because where I am it's 09.00am but the time on the messages is different. Adds to my confusion. Lol
Go to the user CP bit on the top left and click on edit options. If you scroll down there's a bit where you can change the display time to GMT. It confused me for ages too until I found that.

Welcome to SR Laura You will find lots of help and advice and a ton of support here. I found for myself that finding other things to do didn't really cut it for me, but finding out about alcoholism in general and ways to tackle it did. There is information on every sort of recovery method you could think of here. Glad you're here x
Old 04-14-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

laura
i responded to your post can i can relate alot to what you said. you are a functioning alcoholic and so am i. i also drink out of boredom often wake up the following morning and at times blacked out. i been trying to learn to do things besides drinking that is free to cheap. i tried cooking with my kids, go for a good walk for exercise, clean my house, ect ect. Laura also come to the chat room here to talk to others in real time. that might help.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome laura...it's 8am here. The is a section in user cp so you can change your time settings.
It takes less $$$ to not drink too.
Keep posting and reading.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again to everyone that as replied. Not sure how to get onto chat, is it easy?

I've bought a couple of new thrillers to read, and now the weather is better I shall try and get out in the garden a bit more. Have you all managed to stop?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Feeling rubbish tonight... Coping though I guess. Not sure about sleeping though 😔
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sleep comes in time For chat just click on the 'Chat room' bit on the top right hand side x