Notices

Day 5: Struggling tonight

Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5: Struggling tonight

Not sure where my resolve went. Not feeling positive about things this afternoon. Like really, I want to break down and just cry.

I'm afraid to cry, I'm afraid to feel this. I'm afraid to 'deal' with any feelings without drinking. I don't know if I know how and it's all scary.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DG, if you can get and stay sober by yourself then go for it.

The harder I tried the worse I got until I had to surrender to Alcoholics Anonymous.

AA got me sober and gave me a life I couldn't have imagined.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Not sure where my resolve went. Not feeling positive about things this afternoon. Like really, I want to break down and just cry.

I'm afraid to cry, I'm afraid to feel this. I'm afraid to 'deal' with any feelings without drinking. I don't know if I know how and it's all scary.
I'm a retired Marine. I cry...Its OK to cry. Crying relieves stress. If you cry, laugh and think everyday, you are living. Feeling like crying is normal. And a positive thing is you are not drinking. Drinking is what changes the way we think and feel. You can do this.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid, be excited! . . . I often drank for two reasons, to "feel something" or to "not feel anything".

Feeling things again sober is a bit scary, but it also feels new again. Its a chance to return to being a person, a human being, and not just alcohol in a body.

But its also like riding a bike, you've dealt with these feelings before, and just don't fight them, and you'll learn to deal with them again.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey you. Crying is perfectly healthy. Let it out if you need to. There is nothing shameful or negative about this. Crying is how I release and move on. We are here for you. Day 5? This is Amazing work. The first few weeks are an emotional roller coaster ride. You are doing fabulous.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

C'mon dg, go sign in at the 24 hour club, I have been missin u! You can do it DG.
Crying is ok!

DG, they are just feelings and they will pass. Me as an alkie, I coudn't stand being in uncomfortable feelings for more than a few minutes and I would always run from them but DG, just hang tough. It will get easier. Those feelings will pass and if you stick it out you will feel proud of yourself tomorrow. It's so good you are talking about it. Just say ok I feel bad, I am ok. I am not gonna die from these feelings. they are just feelings. C'mon you can do this.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi DG

I remember experiencing a roller-coaster of emotions. I guess we were so used to numbing ourselves that it takes time to adjust to being without alcohol. I found keeping a private diary useful. Over time I could see my mood stabilise and lift. What you are going through is quite normal so try not to let it worry you.

God bless.

Michael
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it is wonderful DG that you are having feelings! Crying is normal in the journey we travel on in early sobriety. It is tough at times because we don't always know what is happening or how to cope with what we are feeling. These experiences are necessary, however, as we learn to live a sober life. You can do this!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DG0409, I can relate, crying was not an option for me, it was just a sign of weakness. I HATE being seen as weak, but let me say this; do not be afraid to cry. I am on day 23 and you will hear that the first 1-7 days suck dealing with the withdraws, confusion, body aches, depression, etc. The 1st month of sobriety seems as if it is an eternity. It does get better and easier. Don't quit. Take it one day at a time; one step at a time. I have learned and been reminded that it IS OK to cry. That is the beauty behind becoming free; BEING FREE. You actually feel emotion, even though sometimes it really hurts. That's just part of learning to cope sober. Remember to equal out your tears with laughter. It will come, but feel free to welcome it. Never give in. Never give up. Remember what you are fighting for. Rock Steady.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just read an article that said there is a grief period due to the loss of drinking, as if it is a death. Don't know if that helps.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. I am starting to feel better... and crying didn't kill me.

I couldn't help but burst into tears earlier. Then I went for a long walk (even ran for a few minutes until I was completely out of breath) and came home and took a hot shower. I still felt upset and full of alcoholic thoughts, so I came on here, read the replies and burst into tears again for a few minutes.

But I feel calm now again... and I didn't drink.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. I am starting to feel better... and crying didn't kill me.

I couldn't help but burst into tears earlier. Then I went for a long walk (even ran for a few minutes until I was completely out of breath) and came home and took a hot shower. I still felt upset and full of alcoholic thoughts, so I came on here, read the replies and burst into tears again for a few minutes.

But I feel calm now again... and I didn't drink.

APB out for 24 hour club member DG! If seen return to 24 hour club!!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there! I am also on Day 5! I have had a few Day 5's and I'm taking this attempt at sobriety more seriously. I went through the same thing you did, but mine was yesterday. I got through it without taking a drink, and I'm really glad you did too!

Grats on making it, and good luck on staying sober
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
APB out for 24 hour club member DG! If seen return to 24 hour club!!
Urban Dictionary: apb

ROFL
Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

APB out for DG if seen return to 24 Hour club! May be carrying soaked tissue and have tears in eyes!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 6 here, brother. I feel you. It sucks, but it passes. It all passes.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skyjumper View Post
Day 6 here, brother. I feel you. It sucks, but it passes. It all passes.
Go Sky, Go Sky It's your birthday, It's your birthday!!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DG, Vast, and Sky... keep up the outstanding progress. You all will make it through this. We are all here to support each other. No judgment. Just Strength, honesty, and others that actually know how it feels to be in our shoes.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

DG I found the fear of facing my feelings sober was much MUCH worse than actually facing my feelings sober

You'll be OK - I was terrified of living sober - but I was more terrified of not being sober...& the awesome support here really really helped

keep moving forward

D
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering

DG,

Well done on going through all the emotion without drinking. Hold onto that memory so that you'll know you can get through it.

Keep going, and God bless +

Michael