Notices

Need some tips for managing withdrawals

Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Need some tips for managing withdrawals

I am quiting prescription pills cold turkey (norcos), tomorrow will be my first day with zero pills, and I am already out for the day. I have chlonodine and anti-anxiety meds on hand. If I take chlonodine tonight, even tho withdrawals won't start until tomorrow, will this help? I have quit cold turkey once before, last year, and it was the worst thing I ever went through and I am not looking forward to the physical and mental strain I will face over the next few weeks. Any tips on things I can do to help me sleep, body aches, anxiety, depression, etc.? Anything I can drink or eat or take in addition to my meds? Any advice will be much appreciated. I have a great job and cannot be out of work, so I really need to get through this!

Thanks is advance.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Focusing on the simple things will help. Drink lots of water. Eat well- fruits, veggies, etc. and don't skip meals. Get lots of exercise, it will help you to sleep and also help with the anxiety and depression. Try to spend lots of time outside. Fresh air and sunshine can do wonders. Even fresh air and rain can do wonders sometimes.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please see your doctor about this. He/She will be able to help you tapper off safely.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm starting day 6 off of the Norcos. First four days are the worst obviously. What helped me is going for a run in the morning only maybe a couple hundred feet nothing strenuous. During the day I would put my hands together as if in prayer and push with all my might against each other seems to have alleviated the symptoms for a few seconds. Their really is no alleviating the symptoms. Just have to get through them. As a wise member of this board told me most importantly don't use. Good luck my friend. Again, I am in day 6 I know your pain. Also, I have found that just laying there makes things worse. Need to keep busy as best you can. I know this sounds impossible. But any little thing other than laying there and thinking of the pain and severe discomfort will help. After day 4 you will be on the down hill slope with the acute symptoms. A welcome relief for sure. Good luck
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful member

See a doctor to taper off!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, I did see my doctor to taper off but that is not working for me, I am unable to stick to the taper schedule and am taking too many pills each day. It will have to be cold turkey for me unfortunately...it is the mental part of not taking the pills that is the worst, but if anyone else is trying to quit opiates and can tell you that clonodine, prescribed by my doctor, has been extremely helpful in managing my withdrawals.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jscorpio;3915531]Please see your doctor about this. He/She will be able to help you tapper off safely.[/QUOTE

please take the advice above. We can't give you any advice for such a serious situation. Please see an RN, Dr, or go to an emergency room.