Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to quit drinking once you started going to aa?

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

Quick question:

How long did it take you to stop drinking once you started attending aa? Did you already stop drinking before you started attending meetings? Or are there some of you who are still drinking while going to aa but hoping to stop? If you can please tell me any details I would really appreciate it, like how many meetings you are going to a week, how long until you were able to quit?

Thanks in advance for your help. I started going to aa 18 days ago and have been to 4 meetings total. During that time I drank on days 6, 12, 13 and 17, despite a sincere desire to quit. I went to meetings on days 1, 4, 6 and 18 (the lapse in the middle was due to a spring break vacation). Here I am again, back on Day 1. Any hope you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

PG
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I quit drinking before I started going to AA because I was sent to in-patient detox from the ER. I started meetings in detox.

Not everyone quits before starting AA, but I can't give you any details.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started before I really quit. It was a critical source of perspective and reassurance for me. My advice, whether you adopt the AA methodology going forward or not is to go and go now. Although you may be nervous, it really is about as confronting as going to the local store to buy bread after a visit or two. Just remember, everybody else there is there for exactly the same reason as you.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Peppy, my old AA sponsor told me to go to meetings as often as I used to drink/think about drinking.

I went to a lot more than 4 meetings in 18 days.

The compulsion to drink was removed in the first year for me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't use AA but it took me a few tries before I stopped drinking.

What helped me the most was changing my habits. I shopped in different stores, I started walking long distances after supper, I got involved in volunteer work. All those things helped me to get through the early days.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A horrible car accident in Feb. 1990 due
to drinking and driving. Spent 10 days in
the hospital losing my spleen and numerous
briken ribs, bones, contusions. I recovered
quickly at home in a few months with no
alcohol and just pain meds. When I healed
completely, in Aug.1990, I ended up at the
same club, coming home to the same spousal
argument and then on a dare, I said I will just
end my life.

A hand full of left over pain pills downed with
wine and off to sleep not really aware of what
to expect the following day. Then red flags flew
high with concern from my family and phone
calls were made for help as to what to do with
my attempt to exit this life.

Authorities picked me up and was taken to the
hospital for mental evaluation. I passed all their
physcological tests and was told all I had was
was a problem with alcohol.

I was admitted to a 28 day in patient recovery
program in AA receiving the tools and knowledge
of my alcoholism before being set on the path
of recovery learning to incorporate steps and
principles of a recovery program in my everyday
life.

That was 22 yrs ago as I continue on my journey
passing on my own ESH- experiences, strengths
and hopes of what my life was and is like, before,
during and after my alcohol drinking career.

As a mom of 2 little ones back in 1990, Being
in recovery allowed me to be a shining example
for them. Today they are grown and gone, living
their own lives with no signs of addictions, thank
You Lord, . Today, I remain available to them
ready with knowledge and tools to help them if
ever needed. what better place to have that kind
of help then right within the family. Yeah..!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just my little anecdote. I went to my first two AA meetings yesterday, and one things I really noticed was that aside from one guy in the first meeting and two or three in the second, everyone had a pretty good amount of sober time.

Actually it was not what I was expecting. I think the takeaway was that an overwhelming percentage of the people were struggling, which I guess is a reflection of life. They just chose not to drink. I was really surprised by the heavy leaning towards people who had years plus of sobriety.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Huh?

What really hit me was going to a MADD meeting for a DUI.

If drinking will turn me into a potential murderer, then I'll never drink again.

Period.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started going to AA the day after Christmas.. Was able to get a week sober here and there.. Had my final crash and burn, got a sponsor the next day and started working the steps and talking to this guy openly. now I've got 45+ days.. I go to meetings every day most the time two a day..I got caught in a layoff so i have no excuses other than to focus on my recovery.Going to meetings is great but you have to get in the middle of the herd.. Introduce yourself to other members, go early meet people, stay 15 min after meet people.. I can only speak for myself but I had to change my normal schedule and change a lot of things in my life... Progress not perfection. Don't pick up the first drink, stay busy, attend meetings, talk to those old timers, go to speaker meetings.. Call someone or post here if you're thinking about that first drink.. I've found a bit of freedom but I know I go to meetings to get my medicine, I love the fellowship.. A guy in the rooms told me think if you have major back surgery, how long does it take you to heal and get to 100%? I drank and used like a rock star for 25 years.. Recovery is going to be a life long journey for me.. It sure is better than the life I was living.. Wishing you the best!! Keep going back it works it if you work it.. And you're worth it!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Peppy,

The first few weeks I went, I was still drinking. I wasn't going to that many meetings. Then I managed to rack up a month of not drinking but not really going to meetings either. A couple a week...maybe.

I drank again at the end of that first month. I was so miserable after those two days drinking, I decided to try 90 in 90. I told myself that if I still hated AA after the 90 days, I could try a different way. What made a real difference was that I got a sponsor on day 2. We spoke every day for those 90 days and she always asked me what meeting I was getting to that day.

I didn't get the full 90 but close enough and I've just turned 6 months sober. I wouldn't say I love AA yet but it helped me stay focused on my sobriety and I know it's the place for me.

You can do this!