Notices

Mental Sharpness

Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental Sharpness

I have been reading a lot lately about the organic brain changes in alcoholics and some of the cognitive deficits that result. While science seems to indicate that certain negative changes to the brain (as a result of alcohol) are reversible, I was curious about when people started feeling their mental acuity come back? In other words, after being sober for some period of time, do you feel as sharp as you did before the damage was done?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not to put anyone off but it took me a long time to feel that, but I had various complications with my last detox (ministroke etc)

Now I think I'm as sharp as I ever was, tho - so stay the course

D
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am optimistically thinking that I have not caused a great deal of damage but it would be hard to think that consistent blackouts over a span of 15 years wouldn't have some negative repercussions. I was mostly a binger and thought that the brief periods of a few days between binges were "healing periods" for my brain and body - however, I doubt that would be sufficient to overcome the cumulative effects. Dee, glad to hear that over time you regained that sharpness - would you say a period of months...or more like years?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Sober D

I think for me it took about 6-9 months to properly regain concentration and focus.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Everyone is different. Stay stopped and notice the changes that you experience! It's a whole new world out there today!!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm coming up on ten months and feel very sharp mentally. I think I even devote more mental prowess to situations because I don't take it for granted any more and WANT to use my mind.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have fears all of the time that my 7 or so years of binge drinking have set me back about 15 IQ pts. I hope in time I won't feel so scatterbrained and inarticulate. At least I know if I never pick up again I won't do any more damage.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool, thank for the responses. I'm sure its different for everyone so I will just stay the course and let everyone know when I am back at 100%, however long it takes
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started noticing fairly quickly - about 2 weeks, my level of anxiety and 'triggers' like driving and eating all but diminished in severity, which usually were panic attacks of varying degrees.
Honestly, the 'brain fog', crap memory and retention - like simple number sequences and random bits of info like a menu item and not having to keep looking back to the menu when ordering etc took awhile longer - like a month plus.
I've been sober over 100 days and it's still not all there, however it's been so long since I can remember what 'all there' should be in the first place that I am still surprised when I have an 'a-ha' moment of clarity.
Some of this comes with the confidence of being able to speak clearly, not look hung-over and in an alert state rather than blah.
Anything is better than being less than half of who I should be - not quite 100% but getting there!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noanxtime View Post
I started noticing fairly quickly - about 2 weeks, my level of anxiety and 'triggers' like driving and eating all but diminished in severity, which usually were panic attacks of varying degrees.
Honestly, the 'brain fog', crap memory and retention - like simple number sequences and random bits of info like a menu item and not having to keep looking back to the menu when ordering etc took awhile longer - like a month plus.
I've been sober over 100 days and it's still not all there, however it's been so long since I can remember what 'all there' should be in the first place that I am still surprised when I have an 'a-ha' moment of clarity.
Some of this comes with the confidence of being able to speak clearly, not look hung-over and in an alert state rather than blah.
Anything is better than being less than half of who I should be - not quite 100% but getting there!
Exactly - we are certainly not getting worse be staying sober. I too, have a tough time remembering what 100% feels like because that would take me back to about age 18...I sure hope I am smarter than I was when I was 18. However, I guess I just can't help but wonder what my capabilities might be now if I didn't beat the hell out of my brain for the last 15 years...
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi SoberD,

For what its worth I am 10 months sober after nearly 20 years drinking to get drunk and blackout. Not real great on the system.

The good side - My mental alertness, perception etc.. is back in spades I am constantly amazed. In fact I was really put to the test recently with a seriously high pressure work situation and performed really well. I know if I was drinking at the time it would have been a different outcome.

So in summary my reactions, processing faculties, focus and almost total clear up of depression/anxiety has taken me from a total mess to my former self that had slowly eroded away. Feels as though I finally got my s@#t together.

The down side - What I believe to be the physical damage done from drinking hasn't totally cleared up as I hoped it would and seems worse in some ways. I am really noticing my short term memory and recall giving me problems (I am 36) I believe I am much more aware of it now thanks to everything else being sharper.

Guess I'm just paying the piper his due...

Hope this helps best of luck
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Disclaimer - should have added everyone is different, could be I have genetic issues or some of the hits to the head over the years have taken their toll. Doesn't mean you will have problems..