Notices

Constantly on my mind.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Constantly on my mind.

I am desperate to quit drinking. The problem is that quitting is constantly on my mind so then I think about it and drink. The sad part is that I am telling myself I am just having a few. I argue with myself. And sober me always loses...even when I swear to God and my family...its so easy to pour one. And drink it. When will I find that strength?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by mmhoule View Post
I am desperate to quit drinking. The problem is that quitting is constantly on my mind so then I think about it and drink. The sad part is that I am telling myself I am just having a few. I argue with myself. And sober me always loses...even when I swear to God and my family...its so easy to pour one. And drink it. When will I find that strength?
The good news is that the strength lives in each and every one of us, we are born with it. The hard part it seems is tapping into it. For some, it comes out of desperation or reaching rock bottom. Some find it with their first AA meeting. Some find it right here on SR. I personally found it in my kids - and my lack of being there for them.

But be assured you do have the power. The real key is wanting to be sober more than wanting to drink. Keep looking for it - and you will find it.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

''so then I think about it and drink'' You need to do something between the 'it' and the 'and'.

That's the critical moment that will make or break you next action. For me I would log on to here and post how I am feeling. When I lived in the UK I would call someone in AA. I say 'would call', but in reality, many times, I wouldn't. Why? Because I wanted to drink. And that was the bottom live.

Deep down I wanted to drink more than I wanted to stay sober. Until that issue was addressed I had no chance of sobriety. As in so many cases the issue was addressed not by me, by making a sober decision, but by alcohol itself. Basically I finally did some things, whilst drunk, which scared me enough. And left me with no choice.

I HAD to stop.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What kind of support system do you have? Family, friends? Support is essential, whether it be from people in real life, AA, counseling, or on this site. i found an addiction counselor to be of great help. Is that an option for you?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You will find the strength. It will come when you give up and just admit defeat. It took me a while to get into this mindset. I was wallowing in self pity and thought that giving up was a sign of weakness. Really it is quite the opposite.

Natom.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For your first couple sober days, It will be all you think about. I posted on here a few days back when I finally had what I call an "easy" day. I went all day and didn't even think about drinking or sobriety or alcohol or anything, I was just living my life. There are days like that, and they are AWESOME!!!

Don't drink today. Then we'll deal with tomorrow when it gets here.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I identify with the drinking thinking. Some things that helped me, think about NOT DRINKING. I thought of being in some very obnoxious situations. Drink plenty of water as I found out I drank at a certain time and was thirsty. Eat sweets as the body is used to the sugar part of converting the alcohol. I finally ended up going to meetings and hearing what I needed and continue even after 30 years. IT WORKS IF WE WORK IT. BE WELL
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I argue with myself.
BOOM! You are right on the edge of breaking through.

The bad news - and you may already know it - is that you are addicted to alcohol. (So am I.)

The good news is that YOU can fix it. Indeed, YOU are the only one who can.

back to this:
I argue with myself.
YOU are not arguing with YOU. YOU (that portion of your brain that has personality, morals, knowledge, judgment and inhibitions) are arguing with the primitive pleasure center of your brain that craves alcohol. That part of your brain has no judgment at all. It has no knowledge. It has no morals. It just craves alcohol. It is a lab rat that will push the button to get the drug...over and over and over. It doesn't care if you miss work. It doesn't care if your family leaves you. It doesn't care if you get a DUI. It doesn't care if you wake up in your own urine and vomit. It does not care - it just wants alcohol. And YOU can't talk IT out of it. It has no power to reason.

Pretty awful, eh? Not really - because here is the fun part: It has no power. None. Unless YOU give it some. It's just a voice in your head. A voice that will tell you all kinds of crap. You can't be happy without alcohol. Once more won't matter. We can quit next week. This time will be different. Just be more careful and it will be fine.

All lies.

So, you've been arguing with an immoral alcohol-craving liar. Now that you know that, is it really worth arguing with? If an immoral alcohol craving liar came to your front door, you'd never let it in your house. Never. You wouldn't even argue with it through the door. "Get off my porch or I'm calling the cops!" End of discussion.

Stop arguing with it in your head.

It's just a voice. It has no power. Tell it "no".

It will hate being told no. It will beg, whine, insult, rationalize, negotiate, threaten and throw tantrums. Let it. It has no power. It's just a voice. Tell it "no".

You can do this.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

This sounds exactly like me over the course of the last year. For the first few months I was obsessed with quitting, but in a very defeated, morbid way. I tried to quit in July and only made it a week. After that I went into a tailspin for the rest of the year.

What really changed it was in November, I stopped thinking of it as "I need to quit but oh my god how can I?!" and instead starting thinking of it as "I am going to quit because if I don't I'll ruin my life. But oh my god when can I?!

Then I vomited blood one night and went to the ER scared and alone, and my brain just clicked. "When can I? NOW. This is the moment."

Since I'd been kind of mentally preparing for it by all of those arguments with myself, once I crossed that line I just knew it was time. I think you're probably very close to that line. Try to think of it not as something you can't do, but as something you are doing.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

That sounds familiar! I was trapped for what seemed like an eternity in that situation. I think we each find different ways out. For me an important step was to accept, against my wishes at the time, that I could never drink again. That, with prayer, carried me through the difficult first few months (where thought of alcohol is pretty common) until I reached a point where I truly loved sobriety.

Never give up hope.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
What kind of support system do you have? Family, friends? Support is essential, whether it be from people in real life, AA, counseling, or on this site. i found an addiction counselor to be of great help. Is that an option for you?

I haven't had the courage to ask my family for help because I know they don't get it. I talked to my husband and he just says "just quit" its not THAT hard...so then I don't bother talking to him.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post

For your first couple sober days, It will be all you think about. I posted on here a few days back when I finally had what I call an "easy" day. I went all day and didn't even think about drinking or sobriety or alcohol or anything, I was just living my life. There are days like that, and they are AWESOME!!!

Don't drink today. Then we'll deal with tomorrow when it gets here.
I don't think about drinking until I get to work. I have developed a habit and now that habit has come full circle. I don't want to quit my job but Im thinking I may have to if I can't find the strength.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
BOOM! You are right on the edge of breaking through.

The bad news - and you may already know it - is that you are addicted to alcohol. (So am I.)

The good news is that YOU can fix it. Indeed, YOU are the only one who can.

back to this:

YOU are not arguing with YOU. YOU (that portion of your brain that has personality, morals, knowledge, judgment and inhibitions) are arguing with the primitive pleasure center of your brain that craves alcohol. That part of your brain has no judgment at all. It has no knowledge. It has no morals. It just craves alcohol. It is a lab rat that will push the button to get the drug...over and over and over. It doesn't care if you miss work. It doesn't care if your family leaves you. It doesn't care if you get a DUI. It doesn't care if you wake up in your own urine and vomit. It does not care - it just wants alcohol. And YOU can't talk IT out of it. It has no power to reason.

Pretty awful, eh? Not really - because here is the fun part: It has no power. None. Unless YOU give it some. It's just a voice in your head. A voice that will tell you all kinds of crap. You can't be happy without alcohol. Once more won't matter. We can quit next week. This time will be different. Just be more careful and it will be fine.

All lies.

So, you've been arguing with an immoral alcohol-craving liar. Now that you know that, is it really worth arguing with? If an immoral alcohol craving liar came to your front door, you'd never let it in your house. Never. You wouldn't even argue with it through the door. "Get off my porch or I'm calling the cops!" End of discussion.

Stop arguing with it in your head.

It's just a voice. It has no power. Tell it "no".

It will hate being told no. It will beg, whine, insult, rationalize, negotiate, threaten and throw tantrums. Let it. It has no power. It's just a voice. Tell it "no".

You can do this.
This has got to be one of the most sensible ways of looking at this! I have six children and am excellent at selective hearing!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone for your words of encouragement. I need to hear how others have quit and I need to know the struggles I am having are shared by others. In a way I know that what I am going through is "normal" for my circumstances. It makes it a little easier to forgive myself for my failures. With that I know I will get there. I need help and I am getting it. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Obsession of the mind. Stated clearly in The Big Book.

I remember it daily for years. I'd wake up (hungover) say I wouldn't drink, obsess that I wouldn't drink, lunch would come I'd still be adimant I wasn't going to drink by 3:00 I'm starting to ween, by 4:30 I've decided I'm going to drink. By 5:00 I'm drinking.

Wash rinse repeat.

This is where the program kicks in and the obsession of the mind is controlled. However the physical cravings won't subside until you detox. I suggest you detox first and start working the program immediately.

Wish you the best.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I argue with myself. And sober me always loses...even when I swear to God and my family...its so easy to pour one. And drink it. When will I find that strength?
I found that strength when I entered the rooms of AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post

I found that strength when I entered the rooms of AA.

All the best.

Bob R
I did make a phone call to one of the AA chapters around here. However...I haven't plucked the courage to go. Im afraid I will embarrass myself. I know its silly to think that. But...there it is. Someone said I had to be ok with not drinking...I have to mull that over because it is triggering a thought of "is that how I am?" My husband asked me once "why". I can't answer it! I don't know why I do it...what makes me do it...and why I can't stop. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did make a phone call to one of the AA chapters around here. However...I haven't plucked the courage to go. Im afraid I will embarrass myself. I know its silly to think that. But...there it is. Someone said I had to be ok with not drinking...I have to mull that over because it is triggering a thought of "is that how I am?" My husband asked me once "why". I can't answer it! I don't know why I do it...what makes me do it...and why I can't stop. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
Do you mean "is that how I am" in regards of being ok with not drinking or "is that how I am" meaning I've gotten to the point that I need AA?

Don't be afraid of going to meetings. There isn't judgement there at all. I've been to meeting with people who are drunk sitting right next to me and they are not judged.

You are not forced to go, but I believe it is necessary if you feel you are powerless over alcohol and cannot find a way to get out. Go and see how it is, the worst thing you can do is not go and continue to do this to yourself. It will only sink you deeper.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't plucked the courage to go.
The strength you need is just 1 "pluck" away

You just have to do it.

(The AA doors are never locked)

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I haven't plucked the courage to go. Im afraid I will embarrass myself.
I can understand that feeling. When I first started going to meetings I would be incredibly nervous and uncomfortable. I would always try to go early to find the "best seat" where I would be as out of sight as possible. Usually at meetings in the beginning, they will ask if anyone is new. You can choose to raise your hand and say "Hey my name is ______ and its my first time at a meeting". They might ask you to come up and get a coin (like a quarter that says 24 hours or something of the sort). Or they might do coins at a different time, but if you introduce yourself they will expect you to get the "24 hours/desire to change coin. Be prepared for a lot of handshakes and hugs! However, sometimes if I am not feeling particularly sociable, I won't introduce myself. It is recommended though, as people will welcome you after the meeting and its a good way to start a support group. You can always do this at a later point though!

If it is a discussion meeting and you don't want to share just say, "My name is _____ and I am an alcoholic, I am grateful to be here, but I just want to listen today".

When I was uncomfortable being at meetings, I preferred going to speaker meetings. That way I could listen to what it was like for other people and what they did to change. Also, minimal interaction with others :P

I know this is a lot of information, but when I first started going to meetings I felt awkward because I had no idea what was going on. Being more involved is better, but tiny steps are better than no steps!

I was the one who replied to your other post, and I am glad you found this forum okay!

Also remember everyone in that meeting room was new at one point too, and I guarantee most of them, if not all, felt the same way you do.

Wish you the best