Notices

Recovery day 1 to 6 months-what changes?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery day 1 to 6 months-what changes?

I thought that starting a thread like this may help us newcomers in our early stages of recovery... (BTW, I'm just in the beginning stages-Day 12). I would love to know what I can look forward to by month 6!

What physical and mental changes did you notice in the first days/weeks/months?

Day 1-5 I was very irritable, shaky and very, very tired. Needed lots of sugar and I'm not really a dessert/sweets person.

Days 6-12 have been so much better and I've already noticed a change in my energy level and confidence. Less antisocial (I was so ashamed of myself that I couldn't even look someone in the eye), feel stronger, and much happier.

Weight: minimal at this point, and anything I've lost, I'm sure, is bloat. At least I'm not craving sweets like I did the first week. But my skin already looks better!

Still a bit irritable/impatient, though. But a bit better.

Please share any experiences.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Improved arterial circulation south of the border.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, there were definite phases. The early days.... (seemingly dragged on forever!), the first few weeks (a little easier physically and mind fog clearing), and 3-6 months (realising it was not only possible, but better to live without a drink).

Too much to chronicle really in one post, but rest assured, it really is a better way of life x
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi RedLantern,

Congratulations on 12 Days!!

I'm just 2.5 months into my sobriety. First and foremost I love how REAL I feel again. It reminds me of how I used to feel as little kid, genuinely experiencing and enjoying life.

I've since seen improvements on several levels:
  • From day 1 to 30, I stayed kind of the same, with a few mood swings, but began sleeping very sound.
  • Shortly after 30 days I began to notice the face and stomach bloat had disappeared, my eyes were clearer/whiter again and hair texture improved.
  • After 60 days, I had lost a total of 12 pounds. (I gained 20 pounds of fat to my once fit/slender frame during the last 2 years of heavy drinking.) I was working out 3 months prior to quitting alcohol and my weight didn't budge. However, after the absence of alcohol combined with working out and healthy calorie counting, my body started responding with healthy weight loss, and much more energy. Clarity of mind, and wanting to include myself in life again has also improved. Mood swings are mostly gone. Oh yeah, my skin is starting to glow now!

I'm amazed at how great I feel, and am really looking forward to getting my first year of sobriety accomplished!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all!

When I first got on this site, it helped me to quit when I knew everything would change for the better-I appreciate all the input!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It would help to know how much you drank to have an indication as to what symptoms could raise their ugly head, to be forewarned is to be four armed as they say.
Early on I had very bad constipation (hey, you asked...
Insomnia was another problem, I drank every night for 15+ years though. Everyone is different and if it was uniform for everyone it would be easier for people to answer, it isn't however, you seem to be doing just fine well done on 12 days you are committed and on the road to recovery if there are some bumps don't get discouraged.
Eat well, sleep, keep busy and avoid stress if you can
Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Moving on from the first month or so a big reduction in cravings and the ability to handle situations where I would normally drink.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Recovery day 1 to 6 months-what changes? It depends what program you are working.

It's like being in school for 6 months. Are you just sitting in your seat daydreaming or active, enthusiastic and involved in the lessons of the day.

If you take a drunken horse-thief and remove his drink for 6 months you still have a horse-thief.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi RedLantaern

To be honest, I found the first 2-3 months quite miserable. I never considered drinking again, but that didn't seem to stop me getting quite low in mood and energy. Sleep was also broken. Then from that time up to 6 months I experienced a profound change - my mood lifted very significantly, and energy returned. Sleep was still disturbed (and still is somewhat, though giving up caffeine has helped). I'd say, apart from sleep, by six months I was back to my happy self.

Well done on 12 days - those early days are the hardest. I remember finding the first weekend particularly depressing.

It's odd - at the start I really wasn't happy with thinking of a life without beer (though I understood that was what I needed). Now I absolutely love sobriety - I couldn't bear the thought of drinking again and losing what I now have.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At some point after the initial shock of being sober (2-3 months for me), you will start to really like who you are sober. At that point you are able to see how much better your sober life will be in the future; as well as being able to remember how bad it was living drunk. For me, the intense hourly/daily battles subsided and I started focusing more on a lifetime of sobriety, getting my health back, getting my life back, mending relationships, etc. You'll tend to not focus on a fear of the unknown, but more of a "dang right, this is great! let's do more of this."
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Although I believe attitude & determination to change has a lot to do with it, I really started feeling "normal" physically after 90 days & mentally I stopped craving a drink then too whenever emotions would pop up. I have 5 months today & I sleep much better, my relationships in general have improved & I think of life without drinking less & less.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got my brain back. The fuzziness and fog I had in y brain, even when sober, lifted. I was really smart gain! And in the 2 years after, my brain just keeps getting better and better; it works as fast as it did when I was 16 years old!

And I also like myself for,the first time in my,life. I worked with women for sobriety online - a great program! Very positive and affirming.
Nancy
Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you might find this useful RedLantern. or anyone

"stages" of recovery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is from a handout i got years ago. don't know who the author is, so no-one gets the credit, but do know many have said it's been of help to them.
if it's not appropriate here, maybe a moderator can put it where it fits better.

withdrawal stage(1 to 2 weeks): people who drank alcohol in large amounts may have severe withdrawal symptoms. these may include nausea,low energy, anxiety, shakiness, depression, intense emotions, insomnia, irritability, difficulty concentrating and memory problems. these symptoms typically last 3 to 5 days, but can last up to several weeks.

early abstinence (4 weeks; follows withdrawal): for people who used alcohol, this period is marked most by the brain's recovery. although the physical withdrawal symptoms have ended, the client's brain is still getting used to the absence of the substance. thinking may be unclear, concentration may be poor, nervousness and anxiety may be troubling, sleep is often irregular, and, in many ways, life feels too intense.

protracted abstinence (2 to 5 months; follows early abstinence): from six weeks to five months after clients stop using, they may experience a variety of annoying and troublesome symptoms. these symptoms -difficulties with thoughts and feelings- are caused buy the continual healing process in the brain. this period is called 'The Wall'. it is important for clients to be aware that some of the feelings during this period are the result of changes in brain chemistry. if clients remain abstinent, the feelings will pass. the most common symptoms are depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, low energy and a general lack of enthusiasm. clients also may experience strong cravings during protracted abstinence. relapse risk goes up during this period. it is helpful to stay focused on staying abstinent one day at a time. exercise helps tremendously during this period. for most clients, completing this phase in recovery is a major achievement.

readjustment (2 months; follows protracted abstinence):after five months, the brain has recovered substantially. now the client's main task is developing a life that has fulfilling activities that support continued recovery. because cravings occur less often and feel less intense, clients may be less aware of relapse risk and put themselves in high-risk situations and increase their relapse risk.

avoiding relapse drift: relapse does not happen without warning, and it usually does not happen quickly. the gradual movement from abstinence to relapse can be subtle and often underestimated. so it often feels as if it happens suddenly. this slow movement away from abstinence can be compared to a ship gradually drifting away from where it was moored. the drifting movement can be so slow that you don't even notice it.

during recovery, people do specific things that keep them abstinent. these activities can be called "mooring lines". try and see what you are doing to keep yourself abstinent. list the mooring lines in a specific way so they are clear and measurable. these activities are the "ropes" that hold recovery in place and prevent relapse drift from happening without being noticed......

(.....here follows a chart of a column to list all specific mooring lines( for example going to gym, reading sobriety stuff, recreational activities, peer support activities et cetera) followed by columns for the days of the week. i don't know how to do charts on the computer, so use your imagination)

it is helpful to complete you mooring lines chart weekly. place a checkmark next to each mooring line that you know is secure and record the date. when two or more items cannot be checked, it may mean that relapse drift is happening. .....blablabla..... use the chart to recognize when you are more likely to relapse and decide what to do to keep this from happening.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

second day, so emotional!

Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
I thought that starting a thread like this may help us newcomers in our early stages of recovery... (BTW, I'm just in the beginning stages-Day 12). I would love to know what I can look forward to by month 6!

What physical and mental changes did you notice in the first days/weeks/months?

Day 1-5 I was very irritable, shaky and very, very tired. Needed lots of sugar and I'm not really a dessert/sweets person.

Days 6-12 have been so much better and I've already noticed a change in my energy level and confidence. Less antisocial (I was so ashamed of myself that I couldn't even look someone in the eye), feel stronger, and much happier.

Weight: minimal at this point, and anything I've lost, I'm sure, is bloat. At least I'm not craving sweets like I did the first week. But my skin already looks better!

Still a bit irritable/impatient, though. But a bit better.

Please share any experiences.
Thanks for posting this! I wanted to see something like this!

Today is the second day for me, last night was not easy. At least today I am not struggling with the choice of going to the store for a drink. I know it will come again, but I am glad that, for today I don't want to drink. I felt better this morning than I have since the last time I decided not to drink.

I think all my symptoms are due to my drinking, thinking about the positive outcomes helps motivate me, still, I am crying a lot today. I am a feely type so it does not feel strange, but how easily I cry today is different. Right now as I have little aches and pains, instead of ignoring them, I am feeling very sorry that I have done this to my body, it's so sad. I started crying about it today, and told my body I was sorry. I know it sounds goofy, but somehow I am realizing that My mind and heart have been cut off from each other and my body.

Maybe this is a part of recovery for me, that different parts of myself reform a relationship. Last night I took a walk and I thought of my child, she grown, I thought I would never do this to her, the thought of her being hurt the way I have hurt my body is sad and scary. Where is these love for myself, I want to find that. Geez I am so emotional right now!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Although I believe attitude & determination to change has a lot to do with it, I really started feeling "normal" physically after 90 days & mentally I stopped craving a drink then too whenever emotions would pop up. I have 5 months today & I sleep much better, my relationships in general have improved & I think of life without drinking less & less.
I love that quote! "when you stop drinking you stop waiting".
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

The changes are considerable and in my experience all good.

I weigh less
I am stronger
I am healthier
I sleep better
My thinking and productivity has impreved
Imam more relaxed, i laugh more
I enjoy life
I handle stress much better, i am resiliant
My relationships have improved a great deal
I now enjoy being around people
I can now live a life

Im sure there is more- but it does take time, 6 months is the end of the beginning