Notices

Binge drinker who really wants to quit

Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinker who really wants to quit

Hi Everyone,
So this is my first post and this seems to be the section to post in.
I’ve read through many of your forums and there is so much practical information on here, as well as people just explaining what they’ve gone through and how they fee,l that makes sense to me. Thank you.

I’m a periodic binge drinker. Basically when I start I can’t seem to stop no matter how many times I try to convince myself I’ll drink normally this time.
I haven’t drank since Sunday morning when I woke up and finished off a vodka and orange juice pretending I didn’t know it had vodka in it to my friend.
As usual I’ve been hungover, tired, depressed and full of regret all week. I’ve also had a kidney infection this week because of my alcohol abuse.
Anyway, I just wanted to post, to I suppose, declare to myself and other people that this time it is different and I am not going to make excuses and try convince myself that I can drink like others. I can’t and I’m finished with alcohol. Hopefully with help from people on here and maybe some other support.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. I usually tell the new people to read around the various forums, but you seem to have already done that.

Glad you found us. Hope your journey through a sober life is a beautiful one!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Nonsensical. I've plenty more to read!
Hopefully the start of a different way of living for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi sideview! I am also a binge drinker. It wasn't a problem in college, or maybe even for a few years after because I was "young" and "just having fun", "getting rowdy"...whatever you want to call it. Cut to me at age 30 with a child and it's not fun anymore. I tried changing my drink of choice, only drinking on the weekends, only during a full moon etc. Never works for me. Abstinence and this site are helping me feel better everyday. Hope you stick around!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your story sounds so familiar, I drank the same way. My mind told me it would be different but I would drink way more than I intended. Through AA and this forum I learned abstinance is the only solution. My mind didn't want to except that at first but with all the evidence I had to surrender to the facts.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks HopeSho and Jsober. Yeah it seemed fine when I was younger, especially college days, to just drink like crazy. It seemed everyone was doing it, though I know now that was probably just the groups I hung out with. Even within those groups I think some probably weren't getting completely smashed every night we went out, though I nearly always did.

Anyway tonight I went to my first social occasion since I've made my decision. I didn't drink and didn't really miss it but then again it wasn't what I would call a particularly dangerous one for binge drinking. In saying that I did politely refuse to join a group having a few beers that will probably escalate into a drinking session. I'm not ready yet to sit and join a group like that drinking cokes. Also coming home I came across a girl being mugged. I wasn't able to save her bag being robbed but at least being sober was able to help her out a little and offer a decent description to the police. So there are benefits to being sober I think

I can't say I wasn't a little jealous of the people having a drink tonight but I was happy in myself and even managed a few words with some different people at the event.
Meeting people and having fun is a worry I have without the drink as I'm quite shy and did really rely on it to mix well with others when out. I'm going to work on that though.
That's it for now, onwards and upwards.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey SideView,

Read this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ety-havoc.html

I still haven't had as drink since I.posted that... it's been a very hopeful and rewarding journey. I'm feeling very alive the last few days. Binge drinking was killing me.

Hope I can help you any way I can.

Fitz
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also had a lot of trouble with all the excuses to drink. I needed to focus on times similar to the “sick and tired of being sick and tired of the same old sane old.” I needed to remember when, keep coming and what an insidious disease we developed that says it's OK and will be fine this time only to be a repeat of the past AND worse. Bottom line is I didn't drink and my asz never fell off. BE WELL
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

just woke up & thought id log on. i just joined yesterday because im at methadone clinic staying clean but in a small townwith noone to talk to. im not mistaken i hope. this isnt only alcoholics is it? anyway my name is crisanthimum and im happy to be here.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can win the battle but its hard to do alone.. Keep reading and posting and stay busy with projects around your home etc.. Pulling for you.. Don't take a drink today.. Take it one day, hour, minute at a time!! Stay busy and stay clean!! Pulling for you!! Looks like you've made up your mind, that's the first step!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the positive thoughts everyone.
Friday evening is tricky for the binge drinker.
Lots of talk of the few relaxing beers and nice spring
evenings on social networks etc.
Gonna sit in tonight. Have a movie ready and
am signed up for a weekly 5k run in the morning.
I've been doing them on and off for a while but they
Are a great incentive not to drink.
The one I do is free and measures your time every week.
Most people gradually improve. My times were very erratic
depending on how recent and severe my drinking had been.
Hopefully an upward curve in times from now on.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also @crisanthimum I see this thread has your first
And only post yet. Hope you're doing ok today.
From what I gather, being new around here, you
would be best to start your own thread and introduce
yourself there.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link MyFitz and hope you are keeping well
today? I'm not sure if I have the anxiety you guys are talking
about. I certainly have some but I've so many emitions right
now I think it'll take time to settle my thoughts and start
To understand. I've cried twice today listening to
stories on the radio. Now they were powerful stories but I
always thought it weird that I get really emotional listening
to strangers stories. I think now that has something to do
with alcohol withdrawal etc.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sideview View Post
I’m a periodic binge drinker. Basically when I start I can’t seem to stop no matter how many times I try to convince myself I’ll drink normally this time.
I binge drink the same way and everytime I always tell myself I'll just have 1-2 drinks then head home, but once I'm buzzed its like I just forget everything. Its interesting to see how all the binge drinkers basically go through the same thought process on repeat where each time we think it will be different. I've got no advice but best of luck to you.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Sideview

welcome to you too crisanthimum - and no....we cater for everyone here - you might get more response of you start your own thread tho

D
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Sideview.
Keep posting and asking questions. There is a lot of combined wisdom on this site that can help you reach your goals. Know it can be done, people are doing it and you never have to do it alone. I wish you a wonderful future.

Welcome chrisanthimum
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So, sadly, I fell back into old habits yesterday. Partly I think, because I stopped coming on here and reading people's stories and posting.
I've got to start again and I take solace in the fact that others have taken a wobble before and started again. I'm disappointed I let myself down.
I was doing really well, going to events and enjoying them without drinking.
But during the week, I think I started convincing myself that I'd just have a couple at a work event and that was it. Ended wandering home from a friends house in the early morning light. Today completely wasted with a hangover, my plan for a long cycle gone and left with guilt about some of the rubbish I was talking. Thankfully I wasn't in too bad a state and had the cop on to go home as my friend was on for continuing on.
I'm not making excuses though because I did drink and ended up drunk.
I guess it is a lesson that this battle will be a hard, ongoing one.

So today is a fresh start. Really I guess it will be tomorrow when the hangover will have eased. I'm going to log on here regularly, especially at weekends which are the big danger time for me. I've two weddings in the next two weeks so they will be a big test.
I hope I'll have the strength to go and enjoy these occasions without being tempted
to take the easy option and reach for a drink.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sometimes we can fall back into our old ways of doing things. Do you think that you might need face to face support from others who are achieving sobriety? There are many different methods that people use. SMART, AVRT, AA, SR....and more. Posting on here is a great step. Are there any friends or family members that you can open up to. Having a support system is invaluable when it comes to sobriety. IMO
It is good to see that you have posted again and that you are getting back on that horse and riding. We are here for you.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Mizzuno. I was hoping I wouldn't need to join a face to face group but I think you may be right. I have good support from my sister and mother but of course it is a hard subject to talk about to people who love you. I feel like I'm moaning and feeling sorry for myself. I need to remember how I felt this morning every time I even think of having a drink. I also associate drink with happy events with friends and family when really it is those events and the people who I'm with that are enjoyable and not the drink I've consumed.