Notices

Is this normal?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cb1

Is this normal?

I am new back on the sober trail (3 days in). Finally over the whole detox thing. (I will never forget that...it was the worst). But now, I cry over EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this normal?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
I am new back on the sober trail (3 days in). Finally over the whole detox thing. (I will never forget that...it was the worst). But now, I cry over EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this normal?
Detox can last quite a bit longer than 3 days, so it could certainly still be part of that process. Checking with your DR to make sure everything is OK from the physical side of things is never a bad idea of course.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cb1

I have already made my appointment.....but it is 13 days away. Gonna get the whole "tune up" to make sure I'm ok. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this must be our #1 thought

sober trail (3 days in)

But now, I cry over EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this normal?
to be honest with you
most any kind or kinds of emotions and or thoughts
may present themselves in the first few days on the sober trail
what is most important at this time is to

not drink or use no matter how I (we) feel or think

this must be our #1 thought for the day

all else will work out in time

onehigherpower
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes CB1, it is very normal during early recovery; emotions are all over the page. Try to take it easy and allow yourself plenty of rest as your body and mind adjust to the absence of the toxins that impaired your natural coping mechanisms. It does get better; just don't set yourself up for disappointment when it doesn't happen overnight! Just as the body recovers from physical trauma, recovery is gradual, so be patient with yourself.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I remember having inexplicable anger issues for a while. Like normal life hiccups (the newspaper is on the driveway, not the porch) would set me off.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a lot of anxiety...over nothing in particular either.

I worried that it wasn't possible for me to function at all without a drink, I mean how could I go through the million and one things I need to when I work full-time and have to juggle my career, kids, meetings, shopping, cooking etc etc without alcohol to help?!

I especially worried about my job. How I would be able to function and act as though I knew what I was doing, be confident and professional at all times, when I no longer had some level of alcohol in my bloodstream?!

Weird, crazy irrational thinking that.....

Of course, I'm much better at ALL those things sober!

Yes, emotions go all the place, but they do settle. Hang in there x
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup....it's normal. Still happens to me on occassion. I'm having feelings for the first time in a LONG time. I'm in counseling, do a lot of recovery reading, and I try to be easy on myself. Eventually the brain and body will realign; no worries.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have already made my appointment.....but it is 13 days away. Gonna get the whole "tune up" to make sure I'm ok. Thanks!
Great news, that will certainly help you ease your mind after being checked out. Keep an eye on yourself, the first week is a real rollercoaster both physically and mentally. I'm just past 3 months and still have good and bad days, but it is getting better for sure.

A thought i always come back to is that no matter how bad it feels now, it's nowhere near as bad as those "hung over, dry heave, gut rot, splitting headache, spend the first half of your day just trying to stay alive" days.