Drug addicts vs alcoholics not same

Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug addicts vs alcoholics not same

I can't seem to relate to my twin sister who is married to an alcoholic.. Or my friend who IS a recovering alcoholic. The stories I hear and what the disease has done to their lives just doesn't match up to ours. Today my twin said she didn't think addiction is a family disease.. But I do. I have gotten the brunt of every lie.. The hurt and pain I have gone through as a mother picking up the slack of where my drug addict fiancé has left off.. The pain of watching his mind and body go to ****.. I can't even function.. He's a fisherman and smoked weed on the boat but no pills or coke.. But when he's in he's on drugs.. He hasn't done any drugs since march 28th.. And checked into rehab at April 8th.. I'm feeling such anger and resentment twards everyone.. And Im on the verge of tears. He goes to AA not NA because here NA is filled with drug deals and whatever else.. He even says he can't relate to alcoholics.. It sucks.. Not sure the point of this post but when will I feel better??
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

I started feeling better after coming here, just knowing other people were surviving and thriving despite the madness. I read lots of threads and just started gaining strength knowing I was not alone and people had figured out how to make it through.

I think the root cause of addiction and alcoholism is pretty much the same, but the behaviors are really different. I think drugs effect the brain differently and the illegal nature makes it very different, too. Alcohol is so easy to get, so people don't typically have to lie, cheat, steal and interact with scary people to have it. It being easy to get and always around probably makes it harder in some ways, easier in others to live with an alcoholic vs. addict.

The effects of alcohol seem more slowly in killing people than drugs, too.

I'd say maybe come here and find other means of support rather than expecting to relate to your sister. If you like meetings, nar-anon can help. I'm working the steps with a partner over email and prefer SR to meetings. Though I actually like to attend open NA meetings sometimes. Gives me understanding and hope, plus more compassion which has been very helpful to me.

Sorry you are going through this. Build a support network with people that have similar experiences and you will definitely begin feeling better quickly.

((((hugs))))

Hanna