Notices

Stopping smoking Cold Turkey

Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopping smoking Cold Turkey

Hello! I may be posting this is the wrong forum, but I'm looking for some help. I stopped drinking in October 2012, and haven't had an issue with that. Once I got passed the withdrawals My mindset has just been that I cannot have 1 drink, ever again. I am now attempting to quit smoking. I'm 26, have been smoking since age 18-19. I smoke about 1 pack-1 1/2 packs every day. Can anyone give me their experiences with a taper then cold turkey quit from cigs? My husband doesn't smoke/never has, so he doesn't really understand, but he supports my stopping. I have cut back over the past 2 days to having 1 cig every 3-4 hours. I don't really like the idea of a patch, or gum because I'd still be on the nicotine, and kind of just want a clean break. I just figured maybe I could get some support from this forum since you guys helped me so much when I quit drinking! Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tara

Just wanted to say will be watching this with interest as I need to address this too!

Good luck xx
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

A man travelled the world in his quest to quit smoking. In the end he ended up before a Guru in a cave in India. He explained all the clinics and treatments he had undergone but he could not stop smoking.
The guru, can't remember her name, (very nice voice though, melodious timbre) said ''The only way to stop smoking is to stop smoking.''
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I didn't smoke but was a habitual smokeless ( chew ) tobacco user for many years. I quit cold turkey on May 13, 2010. The initial physical withdrawal from the nicotine was really bad, but only lasted a few days. The cravings were way worse than my alcohol cravings were as well. That withstanding, I think Cold Turkey was definitely the way to go for me to kick the nicotine habit.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit a 50 yr smoking problem using the same 12 Steps that helped me with my 30 yr drinking problem.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Quit cold turkey June 5th 2012 after 40+ years of smoking cigarettes. There was plenty of suffering in the beginning, but the intensity of the cravings is sudsiding as time goes by. You can do it. Rootin for ya.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Allen Carr Easyway to stop smoking is working for me, having smoked for 25 years and tried most things this is very surprising. I bought it as an audio book and listened to it and from there it has been over 3 weeks now. Strangely easy, at least the smoking bit, the physical cleansing is hard core tough and I hope I am seeing the end of that now. Try it is all I can say :-)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried cutting back to one every three hours. I did it right after I quit drinking. Problem with that was I would watch the clock constantly just waiting for the next time I could smoke. Also, while doing this, and it sounds weird, I couldn't tell if my cravings were because of alcohol or nicotine withdrawal. Long story short, I think I tried to quit smoking to early into my sobriety and failed. And I agree with Scott, that it will be much harder to quit smoking then to quit drinking, at least for me.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unlike cold turkey, hot turkey provides a rich, full-bodied smoke that's rich with the flavors of the Midwestern prairie.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I quit smoking cold turkey 9 months ago using AVRT. The only thing that I do that AVRT cautions against is count. I use an app that tracks how much money I've saved, which is a sh*t ton btw. The purpose of counting in this case is not really to keep me from smoking though, but rather to justify my spending (LOL money beast).

I felt like once I pushed through that first super hairball week, it got easier and easier.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I use an app that tracks how much money I've saved, which is a sh*t ton btw.
What is the app?

I paid $12.25 for a pack of cigarettes here in Chicago yesterday. $10 bucks today. You can't find a pack for less than that here - and that's no joke!!! This habit will put me in the poor house!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by bigsombrero
I paid $12.25 for a pack of cigarettes here in Chicago yesterday. $10 bucks today. You can't find a pack for less than that here - and that's no joke!!! This habit will put me in the poor house!
Dude...That's the truth! To date, I have saved close to $1500.00. Beyond the obvious benefits, quitting also means that I am not lining the pockets of Big Tobacco. You have no idea how good I feel about that.

The app is called QuitIt. I just use the free version, but I think there are many different similar apps out there, paid and free.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow!!! I thought mine were expensive at almost $6 a pack ( Indiana) I will look into the app. I do agree that smoking may be harder for me to quit than drinking. With the drinking, I only did that at night, and honestly until 1-2 am. With smoking, that's the first thing I do when I get up is go in the garage and light one up. I think I might just bite the bullet and start first thing in the morning. I know I will feel like crap, but hopefully it's over quick.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can do it!! It's hard for a short period, but after that you will feel amazing!!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had my last cig at 9:30 last night. So haven't had any in 17 hours. I have surprisingly been okay today. Sure, I've gotten the cravings, but the breathing excersizes have been helping, and I can talk myself down from going out to smoke. I don't want to lose these 17 hours to get through nicotine withdrawal! Does it get worse on day 2, or will it get better everyday? Thanks guys