Notices

Xanax

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax

I had another bender and went straight to the doc monday morning. He prescribed me Xanax. Anyone else have any experience with this. I only want to use them if I'm extremely anxious (as I was yesterday). I couldnt do anything. I was so shaky and felt like my skin was crawling. I knew I could get over the anxity on my own in a couple of days, but last time it was so scary. I had to drive about 80-miles on sunday to get booze (yes, to another state), and I was PANICING. Literally just freaking out and almost just screamed at one point. It was scary because I was in limbo - half way there and half way home. I made it and was ok. Ok that was a long story for such a short question. I am still quite shaky and VERY tired today. Just want to hear similar stories from how other individuals have dealt with this. Any time i've talked to the docs about my drinking, they seem to shrug it off like "oh this guy just partied too much this weekend."
Old 04-09-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Xanax is mild but that's it's advantage. It evens out the anxiety and withdrawal quite nicely. I've used it for years until I needed something much heavier (not alcohol related).

It's a relatively mild, short-acting benzodiazepine. It has some withdrawal but mild, especially if you follow the tapering off course as your doc will suggest.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think Xanax is a "mild" benzo. It's fast-acting and has a short half life, which separates it form Valium or Klonopin. Because it hits quick and diminshes rapidly, its potential for addiction is quicker than other benzos. Actually, all benzos are classified as "minor" tranquilizers in comparison to some of the first antipsychotic medications, like Thorazine (also called a lobotomy in a pill).

Some of the most wicked withdrawals in the world are created by long-term Xanax use.

Benzos and booze are a potent combination.

Benzos are prescribed for those withdrawing from alcohol to prevent seizures. Actually, longer acting benzos are normally prescribed.

Were you honest with your doctor about the amount of your alcohol consumption? Your drinking pattern? Your belief that it is a problem?

I would go back to your doctor -- or find another -- that won't just dismiss your alcohol problem as a bad night boozing.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the posts. Sorry to draw this to the line of medical advice. I need something to help me get over the first couple of days of anxiety. After that I can work out and get the anxiety under control. The 800 pound gorilla in the room is how to keep from the anxiety returning (i.e, not drink). I think I've put myself and loved ones through enought and am ready to give AA a serious try.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I gotta say this.
I have often heard of Xanax referred to as "a pint in a pill".
A slippery slope to drinking for many recovering alcoholics.
I know one guy personally who took it for flight nerves and came off the flight drunk.
I wouldn't touch it with a barge-poll.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sure there are old threads about this that would be worth a look.
Just type in "Xanax" in the search feature.
I hope you find all the help that you need. Good for you for trying to sober up.
A new life awaits you.
Sorry about the panic attacks, yuck.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think going to your doctor was smart, as for the Xanax that is a decision for you and your doctor to make and monitor. As someone who deals with anxiety, working with my doctor has been very helpful.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry, one more thing.
A lot of antidepressants have calming effects without the "high", and are less risky for an alcoholic/addict.
There is no one size fits all with this stuff.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
Well, I gotta say this.
I have often heard of Xanax referred to as "a pint in a pill".
A slippery slope to drinking for many recovering alcoholics.
I know one guy personally who took it for flight nerves and came off the flight drunk.
I wouldn't touch it with a barge-poll.
My doctor described Klonopin as freeze dried alcohol. I still have some but only take it if I'm having severe anxiety, in fact it is expired. I don't want to trade one addiction for another.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many, many posts in this thread were removed because they involved giving medical advice.

The thread is closed.