Notices

Hi Im new here

Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Im new here

Hi people I'm new here just popping in to say hello and introduce myself...I may be a bit random in my text here I have stuff to say but its in bits...or summat.

I started drinking at weekends as a kid age 14, it's what us British people do, we just seem to get hammered at a young age, it's as if its part of the culture.

So anyway...in them days I've been in some right states as you can imagine, in them days it was fun...if anything went wrong we just put it down to having drank too much.

Anyway fast forward some years 20-25 not much changed I liked a weekend FRI/SAT/SUN drink and drank in the week somedays handled it quite well on most occasions. However there was a point where occasionally my behaviour was becoming ODD, doing crazy things without a single thought this was just I also put it down to having drank too much but the days after were payback.

25-28 I chilled out a bit and stopped going out, no big deal.

Age 29 i got myself a well paid job worked long hours and needed to unwind after work. I would come home instantly crack a beer open and prepare my tea, which was to be ate after 5-6 500ml cans of 5% beer.

I did this for years with no problem I guess i turned into a functioning alcoholic, however it caused no problem drinking in my house or at BBQ's.

The only time It seemed a problem and behaviour was out of my control was in the pub/bar, weddings, parties etc...

I'm 36 now and rarely go out to pubs (once/twice a year maybe) because I know most probably I will have too much and be kicking myself for days after.

I am unemployed...have been for 3 years now in the day I dont drink, come 6-7 pm and this is beer O'clock for me, I drink my 5 beers sometimes more and cook my tea go to bed....no problems generally even though I know its doing my body no good.

OK...I lied a little I can get a bit depressed at times wondering when I am going to pick my life up again and manage to find a decent girletc... My life is on hold, I procrastinate it's like a disease...always tomorrow.

This weekend I went out all was going good until I drank maybe around 15 pints or more and just lost the plot.

My mates some who I had not seen for years did not know what to make of this...so I explained i am an alcoholic and have underlying issues too...I explained to try and make an excuse for my strange behaviour and bursting into tears...Basically I spilled out everything that was on my mind...they were shocked as they thought nothing was wrong as I always seem jolly...the next 2 days I felt numb had a drink at night...today woke up with the anxiety panic sweats.....

I don't know what to say I haven't fully explained the story here but.....

I am thinking am i an alcoholic or what? Or do I just drink to much when I go out, i drink daily and it's not much of a problem....I definately don't want to act like I did that night ever again I was like a 6 year old in a 36 year old mans body.

I guess I made a right D**k of myself....

Told you it would be a bit random....I look forward to opinions and comments.

Cheers.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi John, and welcome to SR x

I'm from the UK too, and can definitely relate to the drinking culture thing. It's everywhere and worn like a badge of honour in lots of places isn't it?

We're not in the habit of diagnosing alcoholism here, but I can say that if your drinking is becoming a problem to you, if you're not in control of how many you have once you start, if it changes your behaviour to the extent it causes you regret and embarrassment, then you're definitely in the right place.

15 pints is enough to make you very ill, and you were lucky not to have more serious consequences to your recent night out.

I would suggest reading around the various threads. See if you identify with what others are posting. Read about alcoholism and recovery methods. Post your questions.

Moderation doesn't work for alcoholics. We are trying to live in total abstinence, and encourage and support each other along the way.

Good luck on your journey x
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. There is a lot of information here, so read around at the various forums.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This site "works if you work it."

Pick a thread and join in!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very supportive place. I hope we can help you get sober for good. It's worth the effort.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments I appreciate it.

I'm just getting about delving through topics...lots of reading to do.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You will get lots of help here John. I wish you all the very best.

I am also from the UK and can identify with your story - not from my side but my brother who is currently a recovering alcoholic...
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there, Im from the UK too, and identify with your story and the drinking culture thing. Funny thing is i'm now worrying about my daughter making the same mistakes as me, she's 14 & all her friends are in the park Fri/Sat night with their cans / bottles of cider, vodka ..u name it. Scary isnt it. Fortunately my daughter is not one of them, seeing her mother acting like a total prat for years seems to have put her off the idea thank God!
I felt for you reading your story, I so understand having that feeling when you wake up & cringe & think what have i done Theyl soon forget about it, there will be something else to gossip about in a few days There is loads of support on here, wishing you all the best x

Last edited by fruitymarzipan; 04-09-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: missed sentance
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there, John: Welcome!
You'll find a ton of people here who are supportive, knowledgeable, kind, and thankfully: forgiving.
I spent quite a bit of time in college in the UK, so I have an inkling to the kinds of cultural pressures.
A good friend told me: If alcohol ever becomes a problem in your life: You have a problem.
I'm just not able to drink like "normal" people, and I too experienced the 6 year old coming out in me. Imagine a 6 year old with money, credit cards, a car, and seemingly no responsibilities.
Good times!
Until my 35 year old body was asking: Who let the kid run the brain again?
It's a pretty nasty cycle. My party mode quickly escalated into alcoholic mode. Drinking to get rid of the hangover (hair of the dog and all that), and then to pretty much just drinking to feel "normal".
I've found this site to be a complete an absolute windfall as far as information, support, and understanding. It's honestly what is keeping me sober--and so far I'm on day 9.
I hope you find some of the same things I have, and again: Welcome
Scoutie
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi John

I'm in the UK too. Happy you are here.

I think the label does not matter -alcohol abuser, binge drinker, alcoholic - if drinking makes you unhappy or causes you distress then that should be enough to stop drinking. No title needed!

I think alcohol tells us a lot of lies.
That its normal to drink every evening, or go for a few pints on a weekend night in the pub.
That life is not fun without drinking.
That drinking gives us confidence, the ability to talk, be interesting and make conversations or to meet people.

None of that is true. Its all a lie. What is fun about being hungover to high heck, sweating, paranoid, worried what we said, who we upset? Alcohol also made me lazy. I too let everything wait until 'tomorrow'.

Since I stopped drinking (over a year) now I cannot believe how many evenings I wasted getting wasted! How did I have so much time to do that? Now I can not imagine sitting from 7pm onwards drinking wine or vodka or beer.

There are different ways to do it - AA, SMART or AVRT.

AVRT is quite interesting to me as it talks about understanding your addictive voice.
So in a few days time, hen you have had nothing to drink, a thought might enter your head like 'I can't be an alcoholic if I have done a few days without drink, just the one will not hurt' or 'its saturday, everyone drinks on a saturday'.
Thats your addictive voice and by understanding it, you can avoid acting on those thoughts.

There are lots of threads on here about it.

I am like you in that drink makes me horrifically anxious.
Thank god for the last 415? days I have had no experience of booze induced paranoia and anxiety.
The peace in my head is amazing!

My best to you John xx