Notices

What do you tell people?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kza

What do you tell people?

When you meet new people, how do you explain that you don't drink?

Do you say something like,im not much of a drinker? Or do you just say that you don't drink and change the subject or do you just tell the blunt truth?

Am starting a new job overseas this week and I will have to make excuses for not goingout drinking with everyone else.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kza, since you are meeting new people, not those who have had previous interactions with you in a drinking environment, I think it is safe to say "no thank you, I don't drink" as an honest response when and if you are offered a drink. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, general introductions don't usually include whether or not one drinks. Congratulations and good luck on the new job!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm allergic to alcohol.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Since they are new people I agree to just say no thanks I don't drink. If asked why you could Be honest or just vague saying its not really your thing
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You could not say anything. It is no ones business. You could say "No, Thanks I dont drink. How about some Tea or coffee though?"-
Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kza,

I'm 2 months into sobriety. Sometimes I tell people that I just don't like alcohol, but mostly what I've been saying is that I have a histamine intolerance. Wine especially has a lot of histamines, but so does other alcohol, at least from my understanding. It can cause migraines and rashes on some people. I was actually getting itchy hives and rashes on my face, and I never really nailed it down as to what had caused it. However, alcohol may have indeed been the culprit. I quit drinking for several reasons, and the hives was just one of the many good reasons for me to quit it completely.

Another friend of mine tells people that she's on antibiotics and cannot mix it with alcohol.

I hope that helps!

Good luck with your new job!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It hasn't come up for me yet, but personally i've been thinking that when explaining to strangers, i'll go with a simple part truth: Drinking makes me feel sick. Sure, technically it might take 10 drinks before i feel like i'm going to puke, but i hope i finally know myself well enough that i know that one drink is far too likely turn into too many and -will- make me sick.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I met some new people the other day at a friend's house. One of them asked what kind of wine I wanted. I just said, "None, thanks. I'm having coffee." There were no follow-up questions. When I used to drink and someone I met said that they didn't drink, it never occurred to me to inquire further.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I say "I don't drink" the answer to the enevitable "why not" question in the UK anyway is that I stopped drinking to train for a half marathon a couple of months ago and never bothered starting again - seems to work.

Intrestingly, get asked the question "would you like beer / wine?" by someone who doesn't have a drink problem in the slightest, because they don't have an issue with booze, your refusal doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Refuse a drink from someone who suspects that they may have a problem but hides it by trying to get everyone else drunk and they will have a problem with your tea / coffee suggestion - but that's their problem mate - not yours :o)
Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just say "no thank you" if offered a drink. I don't offer that "I don't drink." But if asked why I don't drink, I stick to the tried and true reply made popular by Bartleby, the Scrivener, "I prefer not to." Nothing else needs to be said.

And I aggree, it's been my experience also that the only people who press me to have a drink are people with drinking problems. And I do my best to avoid spending time with them anymore.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When they ask why I don't drink I just ask them if they have ever seen a ravenously rabid rottweiler rip apart a sack of wriggling racially robust rabbits.

They tend to blink once or twice, then leave me alone!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

'No, thanks' always works.

Remember you don't owe anyone an explanation as to what you're drinking or not.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It makes me sick. It makes me tired. I want to remember talking to you.

But really Anna is right. You don't have to explain why. Just shrug your shoulders and say "I just don't like to drink, simple as that. I don't know what to tell you. Its just not for me."
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I say nothing. You will be amazed how many people actually dont drink. When I drank I thought the whole world drank.

If pressed I say "I don't drink". When asked why I say "I don't enjoy it"...... The truth. Simple as that. You have no need to explain yourself to anyone unless you decide otherwise.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kza

But u get these people who say never trust someone who doesn't drink
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
now's the time

I have never heard the "never trust someone who doesn't drink" saying! If you meet anyone who says that, they're nuts.

Honestly I think the only time non-drinking becomes an issue is when people don't feel comfortable hanging out with you. Luckily I have a bunch of friends who are non-drinkers who I could model my behavior on. They are awesome and fun to be around; they come out to things like games and karaoke, anything where there's a side attraction to just the drinking. They have fun and when people get too sloppy for them to continue enjoying themselves, they leave. That's what I've been doing and none of the new people I've met have remarked on my drinking (lack thereof).

For people I do know, I just told them I gave it up for my health and to try it out. It's not uncommon in my area though so that makes it easy.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

lmao shauninspain!

I like the no thanks reply too and if pressed, "I just don't drink" I used to wonder about people who said that to me...and it only bothered me because I drank to excess.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kza View Post
But u get these people who say never trust someone who doesn't drink
Hmmm I haven't heard that one in ages, but you are right. That is more an "olden days" statement. Now a days people are starting to clue in that getting gunned on the job and driving home, killing people with your car is a kind of a bad thing.

When I get asked, I just say "I quit." and if pressed, "Judges orders" - that always gets confused look haha

Good luck and be sober!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know what you're talking about Kza. When it comes to work gatherings, sometimes there's an expectation you'll drink, and if you don't, you're some kind of weirdo. I've seen it, and I've heard other people talk about it in hushed tones. The NY Times did an article on it a few months ago. The subject of the article said that, if you stopped drinking, it was a career ender. Mind you, some of the people in the article were the salesmen type, and their job was to entertain clients, but the article still makes a good point. A lot of people in the work environment will offer you a drink and expect you to take it. The whole thing scares the crap out of me. My vote, for what little it's worth being a newbie and all, is to lie. I plan to tell people my doctor has me on some kind of medication, and if I drink, I'm gonna die. Or I'm dehydrated. I'm allergic. But by no means do I have a problem with alcohol. Love the stuff! Ain't in great! Just isn't in the cards for me tonight, you know, cause of that darn blood work I'm getting done tomorrow . .
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"No, thanks." Probably works for the vast majority of people, since they're not pro drunks like I was.
If pressed: I take medication that doesn't react well, or It's my wife's turn to have a drink or two. I'm driving.
Mostly: If someone has a problem with me not drinking...they've never seen my lowlight reel, or have issues with it themselves.