Notices

dumb or drunk

Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dumb or drunk

sorry to all ,
never been on a site like this, 50yrs old out of control alcoholic, wonderful supportive family, tried various groups but little success, turned to pro 6 but again not sure if the support is there, 2 x 75cl vodka per day, shakes, vomiting constantly, pains , etc, wanted librium no joy so having to cut down gradually, not happy as dont want to drink anymore....any advice wecome as sure close to death now....x
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

e. r.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hugs to you. I think the fact that you have supportive family is a big plus.

Not sure what to say but I've never found a place like where I felt absolutely comfortable "speaking up" freely and honestly about everything related to my drinking and recovery. And the people are knowledgeable, loving, and inspiring.

Right now I truly believe this place will make the difference for me. Maybe it will for you too. Wishing you peace and strength. Please come back.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR x

Detoxing from alcohol is very dangerous and I would recommend strongly that you see a doctor ASAP.

Please don't try to do this on your own x
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do talk to your dr or go to an ER.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At the levels you're consuming on a daily basis, you will need a Dr. and/or detox facility.

BTW, what is "pro 6"?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

People have died from detoxing on their own-it's really dangerous, and not something you should have to face on your own. No shame in asking for some help. I'm sure your family would be very relieved to have some professional support while trying to help you through this. Some day when you're healthy and sober you can pay it forward to someone else.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah, sorry Pro 6 is the name of the addiction charity I am 'detoxing' under.

Went to the GP's Thursday, taken to hospital given Librium and sent home. Went to the Gp's again Friday same scenario, until I went to said addiction charity. My partner gt me through the weekend on drink, although it was hell.

Had a guy come out today for assessment and he has put me on a programme at home to gradually cut down. Spent an hour with me and an hour with my partner. She has to measure out drinks and i'm to fill in a drink diary. Have a visit booked in for Thursday and then a 12 week structured programme. Followed with support.

Last year i tried detox twice within psyche units and once at home. Unfortunately 'inside' drink was still available if you wanted it (ie, other patients brought it in and I wasn't strong enough to resist the urge at some points!), At no point was any of the support at home from proffessional perspective there and the drinking started again and drastically the use of alcohol became more and more.

My partner was on the brink of leaving and has supported me more than I could ever imagine anyone could (or would want to). I now know that this is the time I MUST do this.

Because i've been let down so many times before (offered proff support too no fruition) I'm worried this will go the same way. Also i know that i have to face this in every way possible.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I second the suggestion of getting medical help to get safely thru withdrawals. It can be dangerous.

Glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And thanks for all your replies! Really in need of support from people who have been where I am, know what it's like to feel the need for drink, and feel the need to get their life back! People without addiction really do now understand the turmoil and pain. I've had Dr's just tell me it's my fault, what can they do? Yes i know i need to stop....stopping just isn't like flicking a switch.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR and glad you are getting some form of professional help with your detox Outlaw. Sounds like you've had a rough go if it with previous tries as well, as many here have. SR is a great place to find support any hour of the day and also to read and share your experiences. I certainly hope this is your final try and sobriety is around the corner for you. Any program can fail if you let it, the key is to want sobriety more than taking a drink. And as you'll find here, ANYONE can quit if they really want to - you included.