Notices

Wellbutrin: Feeling Cracked OUT?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin: Feeling Cracked OUT?

I have recently been prescribed Wellbutrin for my depression, the major problem I have been experiencing is that it feels like I'm coming down from a three day meth binge. I feel all cracked out. I have heard that this is common for the first six to eight weeks, but it's a horrible feeling, I even feel psychologically meth'd out. Anyone else feel this way? Does it go away?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking. The first day or two I did have a euphoric, speedy feeling, but it went away after 3 days or so. After that I had no problems. If it persists you should talk with your Dr.; he/she may presribe a lower starting dose.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Wade,

I found that balancing psychiatric medicines took years actually. You can probably find some other comments on the web about Wellbutrin; I took that drug for a while. The most important thing is to keep in touch with your doctor; there may be someone on-call now if you feel really bad.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took Wellbutrin several users ago and it made me feel awful, even more depressed than usual, scary feeling. It was like those commercials " if you have thoughts of suicide...please contact your doctor immediately. Well it didn't get to that point but after a short time I contacted my doctor, told them how it made me feel and they took me off immediately and started me on something else. Certain drugs can work wonders for some people but not agree with others, you will want to tell your doctor how its making you feel.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take it and I've never felt this way... talk to your doctor ASAP no SSRI or antidepressant should make you feel this way.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

When I first started taking Wellbutrin I had racing thoughts, loss of appetite and would feel restless and was unable to sleep. This leveled itself out in a few weeks. Let your Dr. know what you are experiencing.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Had a very similar experience. I am no doctor so can't really give you advice but I would eat a large breakfast (which I hate doing) and take it on a full stomach as early in the day as possible. Otherwise I would be up all night. Definitely ask your doctor though, for me the 'cracked out' feeling went away in a week or two.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, everything finally leveled out and I'm doing great....I can't even begin to tell you what an amazing difference the meds have finally made....My mind is quiet and only processes what I put into it....I didn't know that this is what normal felt like.....I still feel emotions both laughter and crying....No super ups and manic downs.....life is good.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Wade, glad things evened out for you. I didn't want to post on this originally because I am nervous about the whole "not giving any medical advice" piece but Wellbutrin has helped me enormously. I didn't get the whole cranked feeling when I first took it this time around but, then again, I had been on it previously to quit smoking. It worked for that and when I told my doctor I was going to quit drinking she suggested it again. After about four months on it now, I can definitely feel the difference as far as what you are describing as an evened out feeling. No serious ups or downs which was critical to me because I hate feeling "altered" by drugs(yes, I know, this coming from a drunk!). So, yeah, I am a fan but I do understand it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Anyway, glad it's working for you and hope you're doing well on your journey!!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took Wellbutrin to help quit smoking and experienced invasive thoughts, etc.!! I told my doctor and immediately was taken off of the RX...he said a lot of people have different reactions. I would suggest talking to your doctor if it starts making you feel uncomfortable again but glad you're feeling better.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so grateful for this site
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So glad you're feeling better!!

I took that stuff to quit smoking as another member did.. It was one of the worst experiences ever!! I was about to go to the ER.. Called the doctors office and said I need to see the doctor.. She said how about next Thursday? I said I'm coming in at lunch 30 minutes from now.. I can totally relate.. Go see your Doc or at least call and tell him what happened..

I also tried tried the Chantix stuff.. I had similar side effects with that as well.. Major Bad Trip..