Self care???

Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Self care???

Have you ever noticed any specific behaviors that you do when you are really taking care of yourself?

For me, it starts with my teeth. Self care starts with brushing AND flossing at least twice a day. And I mean a very thorough job.

I just went to the dentist for a good cleaning and they said my teeth and gums looked good.

Next step on the list is walking.....I need to make more of an effort in that area.

Where does self care begin with you?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm right with ya, LMN!! Just went to the dentist last week and got the all-good, and with the weather getting nicer (and since I have a sedentary job, lol), I really need to get my butt out there and start walking again!! Whether I need to think about things or clear my head from thinking about things, it's always been a good solution for me, not to mention the health benefits! And with my therapy and getting back to some of the hobbies I've always enjoyed (crocheting, making beaded jewelry and solving word puzzles), I think I have a good start on my self-care. Ooooh, and I've decided I'm going to start treating myself this spring/summer and going for regular pedicures (because they just feel SOOOO GOOD)!! Thanks for this!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I hate the dentist and my nice dentist just retired and was replaced by the nazi dentist from hell. I am in the process of changing.

I take care of myself by walking in nature, usually with my camera. Walking the shore, photographing birds and deer and critters I meet along the way, helps me feel the peace and beauty that surrounds me.

And nice bath products too.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What does my self care look like? I make sure I have time for meditation every morning (and prayer). But I really need to get myself on the elliptical......

I enjoy dancing. I turn the music up loud in the morning as I'm getting ready and I put on a show while I'd doing my hair and makeup and putting on my clothes. lol. Dancing helps me feel good and starts my day out right.....yup.....I've got HAPPY FEET.

Eating right. No addictive/toxic substances, no alcohol, (well....except coffee....but really....does coffee count?) And getting enough sleep!!!

LAUGHING. I do love to laugh......there was a time when I thought I forgot how.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I always pray and I also have a gratitude list, but there is something about being faithful about flossing and brushing correctly (circular with 45 degree angle, lol) that says, yes I matter.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

shaving, manicure and pedicure!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use to be really bad about brushing my teeth. But I have seen then improved on that Other things is dressing nice, putting make up on and doing my hair.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Walking in the neighborhood
Eating healthy-ish food--mostly balanced (with some treats thrown in)
Keeping track of what I eat so that the treats aren't too many
Long baths
Candles
Spending time with my kitties
Cooking meals for me
Getting my hair done
Going to the dentist is a good one, but it's not my favorite activity
Studying
Relaxing in front of the TV
Laughing
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

brushing my teeth for sure. also, I eat more, a good thing for me. I paint my toenails and shave my legs.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
brushing my teeth for sure. also, I eat more, a good thing for me. I paint my toenails and shave my legs.
Flossing is just important.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm with the others who mentioned shaving their legs! Doing that is always a restart button for my self-care.