Notices

Courage

Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Courage

That is what it's going to take,,. Courage! A lot of it! This is actually my first day of sobriety, so realistically I am not sober! Will let you know in the weeks ahead. Doing this on my own. Haven't been to an AA meeting, but may have to seek one if I slip. I drink at least five days out of the week for years now. Always a half pint of 100 proof bourbon and 4 to 6 beers on top of that... I keep telling myself that I can handle it because of the excercise I get at work. (Postman) I just want to stop!!!! Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA always seems to be the last resort for us, doesn't it .......

Have you tried to quit before?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
That is what it's going to take,,. Courage! A lot of it! This is actually my first day of sobriety, so realistically I am not sober! Will let you know in the weeks ahead. Doing this on my own. Haven't been to an AA meeting, but may have to seek one if I slip. I drink at least five days out of the week for years now. Always a half pint of 100 proof bourbon and 4 to 6 beers on top of that... I keep telling myself that I can handle it because of the excercise I get at work. (Postman) I just want to stop!!!! Thanks
Check out a meeting, its hard to bring urself to do that but I don't think I could quit without it, its a new group of understanding friends, everybody wants to help u, and they make u feel so welcome, there's no tests u don't have to to anything but eventually u will just want to do what they suggest and it works, I'm grateful for aa
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Yes! This is my first time trying to quit ! There is an AA meeting at my parish every Wednesday... I will give them a visit. Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mailman, I bet you could swing a dead cat and hit a meeting everyday.

Louisville, Ky Alcoholics Anonymous :: Home

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Better still to go to the meeting before you slip. We play Russian Roulette with alcohol. Anything could happen if you drink again. Imagine waking up in a police cell, not knowing why you were there, but the last thing you could remember was driving your car. That happened to me once and I sweated like a shook like a madman, until the police simply let me out of the cell (I had been drunk and disorderly), and told me of my court date.

I swore with great passion and sincerity that I would never drink again. Car-less, and having no idea where it was, I started walking to the train station to get myself home and in to a soft bed. However, like a robot, I walked straight to an off license for some vodka, which led to more vodka. I woke up the next morning in the same cell, again not knowing why. The court appearance didn't go well either as I was all over the place.

I don't need that sort of tension!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Swinging the dead cat?

Your right! Searching web... There are meetings everyday, lots of them, every where. I appreciate your concern! Thanks again..
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mailman,

I agree with you that your job (being outdoors and active) can help a lot towards your recovery. I hope you take a look around here and you will find lots of different ideas about recovery. The main thing is that you do whatever works for you.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Woke up earlier this week with a good size burn mark on the lower part of my chin and all these little cuts on my fingers. Have no idea how they got there. Jumped out of bed a ran into the kitchen to see if it was still there! It was spotless. Don't remember cleaning it. Later in the week I was thinking that I wished I video taped that night to get a laugh or something. Had to buy some burn jell. It's still pretty bad and painful. Thanks Shaun
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I hope we can help you quit drinking. This site helped me stop drinking over three years ago. You'll find lots of support and useful information here.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Least... I have a cat. Frank the Cat! I love him..a neighborhood cat. He's over at Jerry's right now .....
Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Mailman

D
Old 04-07-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Mailman.

I love your attitude. I'm glad you see what drinking is doing to your life & that you want to make this change. Unpredictable things happened to me, too, every time I picked up. It had to end. It feels great to be free of it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please to meet you too Hevyn! Today will be a test as in everyday that I work. My truck has a tendency to hit the nearest liquor store drive thru on the way home. Would rather drink than go home and eat.... Been talking to myself all day thus far,.... Just go home, just go home, just go home, just go home....
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

STRAIGHT home that is!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Please to meet you too Hevyn! Today will be a test as in everyday that I work. My truck has a tendency to hit the nearest liquor store drive thru on the way home. Would rather drink than go home and eat.... Been talking to myself all day thus far,.... Just go home, just go home, just go home, just go home....
Good luck, maybe try taking a different route home today? My routine used to involve stopping for just one or 2 at a local brewpub almost every day before getting home ( where the real drinking took place ). As silly as it may sound I try driving home on different streets to mix it up and not driving by the old watering hole surely doesn't hurt anything.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can do this Mailman. I know you can!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello Mailman, It took me a while to get to a meeting. I remember going their walking up to the door and walking away(scared) Once I finally maid it in it was like a 1000lbs lifted off of me. You dont have to be religous you just have want to quit drinking. You owe to yourself to try it out at least.
If not for you I understand you need to learn some new coping skill's
Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

CRAP! There in all directions! Believe me! Cork-n- Bottle going south. Cane Run liquors going north. Cloverleaf liquors going east. That's not counting all the beer caves at the gas stations. Have no booze at the house.. Just need to go home and eat... And if you own a house there is always plenty of chores or other things to do besides drink...
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone!