Notices

Sleepless, new comer, anxiety, etc

Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleepless, new comer, anxiety, etc

I am new and having so much trouble trying to sleep. Can only get a 20 minute nap here and there and worrying about work. Only 2 days sober and girlfriend of 4 years left me 4 days ago and is battling breast cancer. I want to talk to her so bad, but afraid she will get me upset as she is going out and drinking to excess. I am afraid any contact will send me out drinking again and I also worry that sadness, loneliness, sleeplessness, anxiety and depression will end withe the same results. Scared to death of being alone without the person I love. I want a drink so bad! I know it's not the right thing to do but this is hard to handle and I am white knuckling. Been to 4 meetings in 2 days. So late at night I don't want to call the one number I have.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jhkjhk - welcome

the good thing about SR is there is support 24/7

Sleeping's hard for sure but try and be patient - most of us find we get back into a normal sleeping pattern eventually

I'm sorry abotu you and your girlfriend but if she left you then maybe it's best to let that lie for now and focus and yourself and your recovery?

as for those numbers - they give them out so people can call, anytime - yeah?
D
Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely call the number. Even if there is no answer, no problem, it is the action that matters. It is you doing something for yourself that is important. By putting in the action you will at the very least done something positive, and in terms of the negativity that is currently in your life you need every scrap of positivity that you can beg, steal or borrow. If someone answers, they will be a voice in the wilderness. They will not be able to prevent you from going out any buying alcohol, because that is your responsibility. Failing an answer, keep posting on here until you fall asleep.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jhk

There is always someone here if you need help. Just keep posting or go in the chat room. I know it is hard early on but things will get better. Sleep will come eventually but for now just keep napping and drink plenty of water. Have you spoken to a doctor about stopping drinking. That might be a good thing to do. Just concentrate on looking after yourself for now x
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few days sober are rough, no doubt about it. But once you get thru them it's good to know that if you stay sober you'll never have to feel that badly again.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sleeping was a problem with me as well, I was use to passing out and when the alcohol wore off I was up. It gets better believe me. You'll be surprised at how the mornings are sooo much better sober, you actually feel like doing stuff.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard, I know, but you never have to go through it again.

And, there is always someone around here, so keep reading and posting.